Liam Knight?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sure, but that's all we seem to be doing. We needed middles before the season started and all we signed were Sutton and Pele and both of them proved to be spectacular failures.
You’re right but we need to fill roster spots with potential value signings. Hopefully we catch a big fish too. I need some hope lol

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
This post needs the 'official' tag lol, perhaps DjDeep will get us a new thread for it soon

I woke up only a little while ago, checked the kennel for news, saw 'Taffe' as the only potential news, and then went away. Did a random scroll of reddit, went away, did a random scroll on twitter, and after some ads, filler, and elon posts, only then do I see the post from our club's official handle that Liam Knight is signed effective immediately. It completely bamboozled my still-half-asleep brain and I felt betrayed that the news hadn't been more visibly broken to me first on the kennel haha

Seems it's because many vocal people on here seem hate the signing? I don't know enough about him to have an opinion, but it seems many who are frustrated with Gus/Ciro using this as another reason to hate them. Talks of this being a backwards step seem a bit much. Cheap signings like this don't impact our pursuit of potentially bigger name signings, and like I said with Sexton, if he can be serviceable at an NRL level then it's a decent signing. It's a sideways-growth-signing at worst, with potential of bearing a tiny bit of fruit, and we do need signings like this to fill the time while our nursery develops, and while we sign bigger names (at the right price).

If he is error prone and brain-snappy as some have said, then he might only be a like for like with RFM (error-wise). But If he is ready and willing to work - which would seem the case since he is leaving a side at the top of the ladder for one at the bottom - then isn't he at least somewhat of an upgrade on RFM/Sutton, if the reports are true that they aren't up to the workload?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sutton had a full pre-season and still can't get our defensive system like virtually all our players

So it makes perfect sense that a newby is going to improve our defence under the same system

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bunty Afoa has regressed heavily this year. I’m staying clear away from the trap signing unless he starts playing better

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority who thinks Knight might actually do well. I think he has potential to be another Max King for us and if it means less mins for Okunbor I’m all for it
There are too many on here that don’t understand all signings aren’t big money star signings. Knight will be on less than half what Sutton is on and is more than twice the player.

Our number one problem isn’t halfback. Our number one problem is our middle forwards. The current crop are not doing their job simple as that.

He is no superstar. But he is a minimum wage signing on a 1.25 year contract. He is a better option than what we have that is cheap. Some people wouldn’t be happy it wouldn’t matter who you signed.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority who thinks Knight might actually do well. I think he has potential to be another Max King for us and if it means less mins for Okunbor I’m all for it
I don't want him to fail obviously, just not expecting much from him.

Hopefully he will be a bargain buy.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sutton had a full pre-season and still can't get our defensive system like virtually all our players

So it makes perfect sense that a newby is going to improve our defence under the same system
You really think the defensive system is too complicated bro? It’s no fkn trigonometry. They just have to defend as a unit and be committed.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro me neither but when he was signed most didn’t like the signing.
I loved the signing at the time becauS I’m always in for getting a playa at under market rates and the reason why saints wasted Vaughn is because heads overpaid.
anyone with Brains could see ninja was a good player just overpaid at saints. Ninja was getting 700k sheeeeet.

Is Liam a good player getting big ch ?

This isn’t he fundamental difference.
I think Liam might end up a decent max king type signing

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There are too many on here that don’t understand all signings aren’t big money star signings. Knight will be on less than half what Sutton is on and is more than twice the player.

Our number one problem isn’t halfback. Our number one problem is our middle forwards. The current crop are not doing their job simple as that.

He is no superstar. But he is a minimum wage signing on a 1.25 year contract. He is a better option than what we have that is cheap. Some people wouldn’t be happy it wouldn’t matter who you signed.
Knight is not better than Sutton.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t mind this signing, at 198/106 he’s definitely big enough and this season has a 95% tackle efficiency plus averaged ~80 running metres in ~30 minutes. I’m not sure where the rumour comes from about error and penalty prone, only 1 error in 5 NRL games this year and 3 penalties, neither of which are remotely bad for a prop. Best of all he wouldn’t have cost much for the remainder of the season or next season.

I could quote 100’s of post on TK about us needing a high work rate, meter eater that is also value for money. It appears to me that Knight pretty much ticks all of those boxes.

Always a Bulldog