Not open for further replies.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
LG flummoxed by digital freeze

Asher Moses March 19, 2007

Television manufacturer LG has failed to determine the source of a glitch in some of its televisions, which caused them to freeze when screening Nine Network's programs, despite being notified of the problem three weeks ago.

The manufacturer said 10 models in its television range were affected, but that as far as it was aware, the problem only occurred in Sydney and Melbourne.

(Several readers - responding to this story - have reported the problem in other cities, including Brisbane and Perth.)

A statement released by LG this morning said "LG has become aware that occasional 'freezing' problems were experienced with selected TVs when viewing particular network digital programming in metropolitan Melbourne and Sydney over the weekend".

But upon further questioning an LG spokeswoman admitted "LG became aware of of the issue three weeks ago, [but] did not have any data streaming recorded and therefore were unable to trace the problem".

LG said it was evaluating the issue to determine its cause.

It had narrowed the problem down to the following television models: 32LC2D, 37LC2D, 42LC2D, 42LC2DR, 42PC1DV, 42PC1DG, 50PC1D, 50PC3D, 50PB2DR and 60PC1D.

When asked if all or only certain Nine programs were affected, the LG spokeswoman said: "I am not sure which programs, I don't think [it was] particular shows."

She would not speculate why the issue appeared to only affect televisions produced by LG, but said "it seems that other manufacturers have also been affected".

However, there have as yet been no reports of the issue occurring in TV models produced by manufacturers other than LG.

A Melbourne newspaper first reported the glitch on February 26, saying LG had blamed it on Nine.

But in today's statement LG appeared to have changed its story: "This glitch is software related, with either the digital transmission stream, or the decoding of that stream affecting the television's operation."

LG said it anticipated being able to advise on the cause of the glitch in the "coming days", and said customers experiencing problems should unplug their TV at the power socket before trying to view the programs again.

LG's customer service centre can be reached on 1800 643 156.

A Nine Network spokeswoman was being sought for comment.

I'd be extremly p!ssed off if I spent heaps of cash on a Plasma and it Froze

Status
Not open for further replies.