Lets look at this objectively

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled

Defense - Manly scored 31 points, which on the surface looks very bad, but upon closer inspection it is a little bit fools gold for Manly and a huge credit for our D which CC is renowned for.

Manly scored 1 try where DCE kicked it, which deflected off a dogs player then turbo kicked it again and fell over the line with the ball. I do not care what anyone says that was a fluky try more than bad defense from us.

Manly scored another try where we bobbled it and DCE kicked and kicked it again. Again, another lucky try for Manly and says nothing about our defense.

Manly then scored off an intercept.

Thats 18 of the 31 that lets face it, had nothing to do with our D and more about luck than anything else.

Manly scored another try where we had a player in the bin. Yes, you should defend with 12 men but under the six again rule it is very very hard to defend with 12 men.

That leaves us with the try where the Manly player basically ran through us from 60 out. By that stage, we were out of gas but that was a very very poor effort.

At the end of the day, Manly scored 18 points from LUCK. I would actually give our defense an 8.5 out of 10 considering how much ball we had in that heat.

We defended pretty much everything they threw at us.

Offense.

Yes, speaking of luck, our try was also nothing but luck. A grubber that hits the posts and lands in Mahoney's hands who barely got it down.
Apart from that, we did not even look like scoring.

This is an absolute shambolic mess and reminds me of the Barrett era.

As has been mentioned several times, Flannagan is simply not a first grade half back. He looks completely lost. Has no game management skills, has not creativity, very average kicking game. He has had 2 years to have a go and has pretty much become worse.
This is alarming because look at Lachlan Ilias tonight. I mean WOW he was outstanding. He has improved since last season.
How come Flanagan cannot improve? He simply does not have it.

Burton. Again, he has no creativity, no pass. Only has a bomb and a left foot step but it seems the league has now caught on to that.
How come he has not worked on his game?
The last 2 weeks were real alarm bells. He looked like he did not want to be there.

Perham looks good on his feet. Safe under the high ball but he to cannot create for others. Has no pass on him.

Mahoney looked outstanding and the most threatening. There is some light at the end of the tunnel with him.

The most alarming thing for me is, it just looks like the halves did not develop in the off season. No coaching, no structure. They look absolutely lost and no one knows what to do, what there role is.

I am prepared to give it a few more weeks where we get more even possession, can apply pressure etc.

There is no smarts in the halves. We were down to 12 ONLY Mahoney showed he is THINKING where he kicked it out so the team can catch there breath and kill some clock.

Yet for some reason when a set later we tried to throw a miracle pass under extreme pressure in our own 30 and we lost it.

It shows that there is no game management, no plan, no purpose, just try and make it up as it comes.

The offense is a 1 out of 10.

If we can continue to defend the way we did today we will be in a lot of games but i have no idea where our points are going to come from.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why the hell did Ciraldo persist with the proven flop at halfback?? It is insanity.

Potter only got the attack to work because he told the flops to throw it around. These guys aren't capable of structured set play football, it looks fucking horrible when they tried to execute attacking plays.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Why the hell did Ciraldo persist with the proven flop at halfback?? It is insanity.

Potter only got the attack to work because he told the flops to throw it around. These guys aren't capable of structured set play football, it looks fucking horrible when they tried to execute attacking plays.
Flanagans still our best halfback. He played pretty well today..he wasn’t the reason we got pumped. We had too many forwards playing who are not nrl standard and we made far too many errors

Allan139

Waterboy
Reaction score
Flanagans still our best halfback. He played pretty well today..he wasn’t the reason we got pumped. We had too many forwards playing who are not nrl standard and we made far too many errors
Flanno did play okay today, was unlucky to cop the singing, our right edge looked a lot better than the left this week.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Defense - Manly scored 31 points, which on the surface looks very bad, but upon closer inspection it is a little bit fools gold for Manly and a huge credit for our D which CC is renowned for.

Manly scored 1 try where DCE kicked it, which deflected off a dogs player then turbo kicked it again and fell over the line with the ball. I do not care what anyone says that was a fluky try more than bad defense from us.

Manly scored another try where we bobbled it and DCE kicked and kicked it again. Again, another lucky try for Manly and says nothing about our defense.

Thats 18 of the 31 that lets face it, had nothing to do with our D and more about luck than anything else.

Manly scored another try where we had a player in the bin. Yes, you should defend with 12 men but under the six again rule it is very very hard to defend with 12 men.

That leaves us with the try where the Manly player basically ran through us from 60 out. By that stage, we were out of gas but that was a very very poor effort.

At the end of the day, Manly scored 18 points from LUCK. I would actually give our defense an 8.5 out of 10 considering how much ball we had in that heat.

Offense.

Yes, speaking of luck, our try was also nothing but luck. A grubber that hits the posts and lands in Mahoney's hands who barely got it down.

As has been mentioned several times, Flannagan is simply not a first grade half back. He looks completely lost. Has no game management skills, has not creativity, very average kicking game. He has had 2 years to have a go and has pretty much become worse.
This is alarming because look at Lachlan Ilias tonight. I mean WOW he was outstanding. He has improved since last season.

Burton. Again, he has no creativity, no pass. Only has a bomb and a left foot step but it seems the league has now caught on to that.
The last 2 weeks were real alarm bells. He looked like he did not want to be there.

Perham looks good on his feet. Safe under the high ball but he to cannot create for others. Has no pass on him.

Mahoney looked outstanding and the most threatening. There is some light at the end of the tunnel with him.

The most alarming thing for me is, it just looks like the halves did not develop in the off season. No coaching, no structure. They look absolutely lost and no one knows what to do, what there role is.

I am prepared to give it a few more weeks where we get more even possession, can apply pressure etc.

There is no smarts in the halves. We were down to 12 ONLY Mahoney showed he is THINKING where he kicked it out so the team can catch there breath and kill some clock.

Yet for some reason when a set later we tried to throw a miracle pass under extreme pressure in our own 30 and we lost it.

It shows that there is no game management, no plan, no purpose, just try and make it up as it comes.

If we can continue to defend the way we did today we will be in a lot of games but i have no idea where our points are going to come from.
Very accurate description, just left out the lack of fitness of Kikau and we were totally bashed by a much bigger forward pack.
It’s going to be a long month.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Agree and good post. But I hope they get there shit under control soon... Don't want another coach to have a tarnished win rate % and look like damaged goods

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rugby league is a simple game and when you have no confidence because we always loose the objective is simple. ….
1. hold the ball complete your set and just kick it at the end of your set down field. Nothing flash just build pressure.
2. defence is make your tackles and hit hard as you can.
3. Nothing flashy or fancy until you achieve the above. If we complete 85% of our sets and kick into the corners but loose, so be it that’s how your build fundamentals and confidence So those passes out the back and they chip kick start to work.

I don’t see why we don’t go out and aim to complete 85-90% of sets, kick low and deep to the corners and stop them from entering out 40-30 50% of the time.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Offense.

I pretty much agree with your post except the Luck part, I think you have to create. your own luck & at the moment our high profile, highly paid players especially our halves with the exception of Mahoney are creating. nothing.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Also we had 3 missing forwards that would’ve made a big difference.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Manly did not score 18 points from LUCK. Manly scored 18 points because they stayed competing. Saying they scored 18 points because of luck is a cop put.
we literally were our own enemies and gave them 3 tries which could of been avoided

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score

Offense.

I appreciate your optimism but TBH it doesn't really matter how the other team scored 31 points against us. Lucky or against the run of play or whatever - 31 points conceded by us is 31 points conceded

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am onenof flannos harshest critics..
But he went ok today.
Tackled a monster one on one who would have scored.
Kicked a repeat set.
In fact after looking at our left and the way they were playing i was actually hoping they would go more to the right and with minimal.ball outplayed our left

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be luck. Also may be desire. Fancy being the fastest man on the planet, getting outpaced by, then bumped over by a giraffe. Manly wanted it more today. Simple as that.

Footy is not complicated. Run hard, tackle hard, complete your sets, kick to the corners. We did none of that today.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
There were a number of clubs that had players play in Rd.1 that didn’t feature in a single trial game looked *fitter* than most of our pub team ffs!

Kikau… got owned big time today by his opposite & took a f’king eternity to get up & play the ball each time

What the f{}ck did these c{}nts do in the off season?

Millions spent on players…
Millions spent on coaching staff….
UFC Whittaker facilities….

And we still resemble a f{}cking pub team

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Manly did not score 18 points from LUCK. Manly scored 18 points because they stayed competing. Saying they scored 18 points because of luck is a cop put.
Well said .. this comment is great, a cop out is is!! Massively.