Leniu gets 8 weeks

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Got what he deserved.

There's a simple way to avoid getting suspended. Don't fucking do it in the first place.
Just wonder what this means for the next one. 8 weeks for a Samoan being racist towards another Pacific person without racist intent. What does an intentional racial slur get? 12 plus weeks?

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mam opened the door and 100 or so Polynesian NRL players are gunna walk right in.

Always a Bulldog
Just wonder what this means for the next one. 8 weeks for a Samoan being racist towards another Pacific person without racist intent. What does an intentional racial slur get? 12 plus weeks?
What would the ban be if a white man called another white man ….a white prick ? 8 weeks ?

Last edited:

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They are not happy bec

What would the ban be if a white man called another white man ….a white prick ? 8 weeks ?
There are historical reasons for slurs to have greater weight when said by a white person to a person of colour. I know this is a double standard but that is the reality. This precedent means that if there is ‘fkn islander’ ‘coconut’ or FOB slur said then 8 weeks is the minimum. If there is proven intent it is upwards of 12

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You need to realise (are you Australian?), that you should take it as a given that they know there are cameras etc., and your characterisation of boof heads *is* the bigoted stereotyping you are swooping in to "eliminate". Oh how superior you are. Leniu couldn't of have ever considered the grand things that you do.

At no point do you consider that Leniu contemplates every sledge, being an ethnic person himself, that it not cross a racial line. And that his good faith judgement was, which was 100% right, that calling Ezra a monkey didn't at all sound alarm bells. Because it's not fucking racists.

FFS, there's this:

View attachment 103992

The point is not that this exists, legitimises what Leniu did. The point is that because this exists, and the Leniu thing happened, it a) mocks the accusation that calling Mam was racists b) if we took up @liljohny satirical suggestion, the elite class who decided this take.. fuckwit Thurston etc, would have a fit and call for stadium bans etc.. and god help you if you had made this fashion choice ahead of attendance of a Broncos game, completely oblivious to the situation/

It's absurd, and it offends humanity when absurdities like this are allowed to play out.
the imbecile..(that sounds more apt) than boof head got what he deserves calling someone less than human in front of witnesses, especially after the education players supposedly get on racism. He wasn't smart enough to not get caught. Also if you actually comprehended my post..I didn't say I agree with Thurston or any type of ban. I used his comment to show what a hypocrites nrl360, Kent in particular are. They regularly sensationalise certain clubs, exactly what he was accusing Thurston of.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
100%. What Leniu said was stupid & how the Roosters handled it was deplorable. The 24 hours after the match cost him 4 weeks. Should have said nothing and apologised straight away.
Both Leniu and the Roosters were happy for it to hopefully disappear under the carpet. When they realised it wasn't going to be that was when the forced apology came out, the Roosters CEO dickhead exclaiming "Spencer was upfront and honest right from the start, he wanted to fix the situation immediately' etc. Ah no he didn't, he immediately said he had nothing to worry about.
It's been blown out of proportion but IMO the correct penalty was handed down. If Leniu had come out straight after the match and said yes I said this and he was offended then he wouldn't of copped 8 weeks.
The smother job that has come out from the Roosters is weak as piss yet the club doesn't cop any media backlash at all.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both Leniu and the Roosters were happy for it to hopefully disappear under the carpet. When they realised it wasn't going to be that was when the forced apology came out, the Roosters CEO dickhead exclaiming "Spencer was upfront and honest right from the start, he wanted to fix the situation immediately' etc. Ah no he didn't, he immediately said he had nothing to worry about.
It's been blown out of proportion but IMO the correct penalty was handed down. If Leniu had come out straight after the match and said yes I said this and he was offended then he wouldn't of copped 8 weeks.
The smother job that has come out from the Roosters is weak as piss yet the club doesn't cop any media backlash at all.
Can’t argue with any of that. I knew straight away they’d be drama and when I heard that fwit Brent Read interview Leniu after the match I thought OMG, why wasn’t he taken off the field immediately.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I still can't believe an indigenous person from one Island got suspended for that long from being apparently "racist" to an indigenous person from another Island, also why was the panel full of white people who couldn't address Spencers name or nationality correctly nor understand this racism has stemmed from their culture?

A panel of coloured people needed to be used here because they have a deeper understanding of what these type of words mean especially when certain people say it and taking context into consideration

I personally do not believe Spencer did anything wrong, he might have used a word that if a white person said towards Ezra would 100% be racist and to genuinely call him less than human

Lets be honest here, do people think that Spencer has not been called things such as monkey, ape, primate, gorilla, caveman or other things like coconut, fob and etc growing up or still to this day himself?

I can guarantee you Spencer has faced those words growing up from not only his own race, but also other similar races/culture and from those who have meant it racially, if you don't believe so then its time to go outside and learn the real world isn't kind or as it seems

This quote from the judiciary transcript pretty much reaffirms this point to me:

In the Panel’s view the fact – if it be the fact – that there is a degree of acceptance of terms such as “monkey” between certain cultures, is not to the point.

"The simple, and more important, fact, is that such a term was derogatory to player Mam.
In the Arabic language, when we call someone a monkey we usually refer to someone being cheeky, jumpy/moving a lot or naughty, racism doesn't stem from calling people animals to us, but that doesn't mean we can say it to certain people without consequences

My Islander mates from different Islands call each other racist crap that they find funny, but even if someone like me said it, they would find it crossing the line even though I am an ethnic person yet from a different part of the world, Spencer to me hasn't crossed this line as it is still between a group of peoples with similar culture, heritage and ancestry

They have not taken into account the degree of acceptance of using terms between certain groups of people that is fine, but more so the so called victims reaction and feelings...

Spencer and his team should have argued and let that panel of white people know that he isn't Tongan, but Samoan and this is considered racist to group them all alike, Spencer himself has faced racism growing up being called the same words and worse, has faced racism in the NRL with no action taken and etc

He should have also put the panel on the spot by saying if they have ever been called said words then said "well I have" because I can guarantee none of them have faced true racism in this country

What can they say or do after that, its not like they can dismiss his feelings and experiences as they took Ezras into full consideration lol

The Roosters let the NRL fist them and Spencer here instead of fighting it properly, Spencer could have easily put the NRL on notice if they wanted to start talking about racism and derogatory terms towards coloured people

All this now does is make Ezra a target from fans and online troll which is already prevalent on social media with some pretty nasty and disgusting comments towards him, have Pasifika NRL players who are in support of Spencer now sharing their racist experience while in the NRL publicly (more should do this to expose the NRL flawed stance on racism and education issues) which isn't a good look as they care so much about how the game looks in the public now lmao

It has also set a precedent for anything slightly racist said by a player to another player to be a long suspension if reported, we should should now expect more of this to happen sadly...

Lets take a recent NRL legend Billy Slater as an example, the prick was notorious for this on field racism towards brown people on the field yet nothing has happened yet Spencer has been made an example out of for such a minor thing in my eyes...

I really do hope Ezra is okay, but I feel its been taken too far and to heart by him (other indigenous people are saying its not the worse thing to be called by another indigenous person or it shouldn't mean much), I won't understand his pain from this as we are from different ethnics groups who aren't similar, but I also face large amounts of racism towards my race, culture and religion (defines my culture heavily and is native to us) that is pretty accepted to do in the media especially in places like Europe, USA and etc that he will won't understand

I also hope Spencer is okay because all this media attention and etc has now made it seem like he is a bad guy when most likely he isn't and was just acting how he would with other Islander people...

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still can't believe an indigenous person from one Island got suspended for that long from being apparently "racist" to an indigenous person from another Island, also why was the panel full of white people who couldn't address Spencers name or nationality correctly nor understand this racism has stemmed from their culture?

A panel of coloured people needed to be used here because they have a deeper understanding of what these type of words mean especially when certain people say it and taking context into consideration

I personally do not believe Spencer did anything wrong, he might have used a word that if a white person said towards Ezra would 100% be racist and to genuinely call him less than human

Lets be honest here, do people think that Spencer has not been called things such as monkey, ape, primate, gorilla, caveman or other things like coconut, fob and etc growing up or still to this day himself?

I can guarantee you Spencer has faced those words growing up from not only his own race, but also other similar races/culture and from those who have meant it racially, if you don't believe so then its time to go outside and learn the real world isn't kind or as it seems

This quote from the judiciary transcript pretty much reaffirms this point to me:

In the Arabic language, when we call someone a monkey we usually refer to someone being cheeky, jumpy/moving a lot or naughty, racism doesn't stem from calling people animals to us, but that doesn't mean we can say it to certain people without consequences

My Islander mates from different Islands call each other racist crap that they find funny, but even if someone like me said it, they would find it crossing the line even though I am an ethnic person yet from a different part of the world, Spencer to me hasn't crossed this line as it is still between a group of peoples with similar culture, heritage and ancestry

They have not taken into account the degree of acceptance of using terms between certain groups of people that is fine, but more so the so called victims reaction and feelings...

Spencer and his team should have argued and let that panel of white people know that he isn't Tongan, but Samoan and this is considered racist to group them all alike, Spencer himself has faced racism growing up being called the same words and worse, has faced racism in the NRL with no action taken and etc

He should have also put the panel on the spot by saying if they have ever been called said words then said "well I have" because I can guarantee none of them have faced true racism in this country

What can they say or do after that, its not like they can dismiss his feelings and experiences as they took Ezras into full consideration lol

The Roosters let the NRL fist them and Spencer here instead of fighting it properly, Spencer could have easily put the NRL on notice if they wanted to start talking about racism and derogatory terms towards coloured people

All this now does is make Ezra a target from fans and online troll which is already prevalent on social media with some pretty nasty and disgusting comments towards him, have Pasifika NRL players who are in support of Spencer now sharing their racist experience while in the NRL publicly (more should do this to expose the NRL flawed stance on racism and education issues) which isn't a good look as they care so much about how the game looks in the public now lmao

It has also set a precedent for anything slightly racist said by a player to another player to be a long suspension if reported, we should should now expect more of this to happen sadly...

Lets take a recent NRL legend Billy Slater as an example, the prick was notorious for this on field racism towards brown people on the field yet nothing has happened yet Spencer has been made an example out of for such a minor thing in my eyes...

I really do hope Ezra is okay, but I feel its been taken too far and to heart by him (other indigenous people are saying its not the worse thing to be called by another indigenous person or it shouldn't mean much), I won't understand his pain from this as we are from different ethnics groups who aren't similar, but I also face large amounts of racism towards my race, culture and religion (defines my culture heavily and is native to us) that is pretty accepted to do in the media especially in places like Europe, USA and etc that he will won't understand

I also hope Spencer is okay because all this media attention and etc has now made it seem like he is a bad guy when most likely he isn't and was just acting how he would with other Islander people...
Well said bro

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I can tell you 100% that most islanders would not consider calling someone a monkey racist
Today at my U8s footy training a Cook Island kid called a Tongan kid a monkey because he was jumping around and mucking up the drills :tearsofjoy: just kids totally oblivious and just banter. The same way it would have been used by Spencer. 8 weeks is pretty rough.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today at my U8s footy training a Cook Island kid called a Tongan kid a monkey because he was jumping around and mucking up the drills :tearsofjoy: just kids totally oblivious and just banter. The same way it would have been used by Spencer. 8 weeks is pretty rough.
Agree, the penalty and the NRL are a joke! What was said was wrong, but it was heat of the moment stuff.

Unfortunately, in these social media / politically correct days you're either cancelled or made an example of.

Years ago, players would settle things on the field with their fists, not that saying that is the right way, but they got all that pent up tension out of their system were sent to the sin bin or off and they wouldn't get anywhere near as long a penalty than this as the media have milked this for all it's worth.

Just shows how far society standards have changed when players like Jack Wighton and Kevin Proctor copped 3 and 4 weeks respectively for BITING!

I defy anyone to tell me that a so-called racial slur is worth more than BITING!

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wr...r-leniu-judiciary-gaffes-20240314-p5fcj0.html

The Roosters are being petty here, but since they were the victim's of pettiness, I'm ok with it. Of course the SC was just clumsy with his words, and it shouldn't be a big deal.

But given the fake escalation of what Leniu did to a high crime, you best not put the lie to the whole situation by straddling what people call "casual racism". It's not fucking casual racism, because it's not racism at all.

Wrong name, wrong country: Roosters lodge complaint with NRL over Leniu judiciary gaffes
Adam Pengilly
By Adam Pengilly
March 15, 2024 — 5.00am

Listen to this article

3 min

The NRL has received a formal complaint about its own judiciary counsel’s failure to identify Spencer Leniu by his correct name and nationality.
Just days after Leniu was handed an eight-week ban for aiming a racial slur at Brisbane’s Ezra Mam at one of the highest-profile NRL hearings in years, the Roosters have expressed their disappointment with the opening address of Lachlan Gyles SC, who referred to the forward as “Spencer Luai” and said he played for Tonga rather than Samoa.

But according to sources familiar with the matter who requested anonymity so they could speak freely about the matter, concerns about Gyles’ mistake – particularly given the sensitive nature of the hearing – have been conveyed to the NRL.

Leniu has played seven matches for Samoa and was a teammate of Jarome Luai at Penrith during their three straight title triumphs from 2021-23.
Gyles’ mistake was immediately picked up by attendees at the hearing and Leniu’s club felt compelled to raise the matter with the NRL at the end of a painful week for the code. Gyles has privately apologised for the mistake.
Sydney Roosters forward Spencer Leniu at Monday night’s hearing.

Sydney Roosters forward Spencer Leniu at Monday night’s hearing.Credit: Wolter Peeters/SMH

Leniu, 23, was suspended for eight matches for calling Mam a “monkey” on the field during the Roosters-Broncos clash at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas.
Leniu told the hearing he was unaware at the time the term was offensive to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and has said sorry for the distress he has caused Mam and his family.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So much for what happens on the field stays there.

Imagine social media in the 80's 90's and early 00's they'd be no greats of the game because everyone's done dumb shit once upon a time, it just wasn't documented and a screenshot was a snippet out of the Saturday paper

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wr...r-leniu-judiciary-gaffes-20240314-p5fcj0.html

The Roosters are being petty here, but since they were the victim's of pettiness, I'm ok with it. Of course the SC was just clumsy with his words, and it shouldn't be a big deal.

But given the fake escalation of what Leniu did to a high crime, you best not put the lie to the whole situation by straddling what people call "casual racism". It's not fucking casual racism, because it's not racism at all.
yep stick it to the NRL they want to be super woke well welcome to the party. Do they think all islanders look the same and couldn’t tell the difference between the two players?
No doubt the NRL’s guy was just a dickhead but when you open these doors of wokeness you have to be on top of everything or your grandstanding can bite you on the arse

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
8-10 year olds call their teachers/support staff that to your face? Wowee DL. That's unreal. Yes "monkey" entering into vernacular in the same vein as the N word I guess!

The N word and now the M word.
Unfortunately yes and due to the rights of children and the rules guiding working with them you are pretty much prevented from taking matters further or getting an apology.. You can report it, which is done as first a verbal report to superiors and then a written report but like most things with the youngsters ...slap on wrist...behave better and on your way!..

Every child has a right to an education so moving them onto another school via an expulsion just moves the problem sideways and eventually there is nowhere else left to send them. Suspension to kids who are an issue is simply a holiday and they just get further behind in their work. Funding for one on one supervision is not viable..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes and due to the rights of children and the rules guiding working with them you are pretty much prevented from taking matters further or getting an apology.. You can report it, which is done as first a verbal report to superiors and then a written report but like most things with the youngsters ...slap on wrist...behave better and on your way!..

Every child has a right to an education so moving them onto another school via an expulsion just moves the problem sideways and eventually there is nowhere else left to send them. Suspension to kids who are an issue is simply a holiday and they just get further behind in their work. Funding for one on one supervision is not viable..
I just joined a FB local name and shame site.

When the kid perps have their faces, crimes, car stealing, bashings etc posted they actually come on the site and complain that there's nuthin' to do bro...just about all of them under age and it's society's fault they steal and thieve bc they're bored! Bash and terrify the elderly bc they're bored. Just terrible.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

When the kid perps have their faces, crimes, car stealing, bashings etc posted they actually come on the site and complain that there's nuthin' to do bro...just about all of them under age and it's society's fault they steal and thieve bc they're bored! Bash and terrify the elderly bc they're bored. Just terrible.
Unfortunately due to the inaction of the authorities ( or the fact their hands are tied due to age etc.) those who offend once quickly reoffend. We have groups of them up our way break and enter, car theft, drugs, assaults. The older members of their groups get the young kids to do the dirty work as the penalties are piss weak or none at all....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Unfortunately due to the inaction of the authorities ( or the fact their hands are tied due to age etc.) those who offend once quickly reoffend. We have groups of them up our way break and enter, car theft, drugs, assaults. The older members of their groups get the young kids to do the dirty work as the penalties are piss weak or none at all....
Today's society. No respect or decency.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

They want recognition on tiktok. One of the reasons why I want it banned.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leinu deserved 8 weeks and much of that is on the Roosters as well.

Who at that club allowed Leinu to be interviewed by Brent Read after the game? This was a killer for them. Journos are so good at planting the baits. A coach like Bennett is too smart he just doesn't answer them. Read was able to plant a seed into a dumb footballer.

Roosters for once failed to control the situation and the media reporting.