Legends tell Anthony Watmough to stop disrespecting his old club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FIRED-UP Manly legends have called on Anthony Watmough to keep his mouth shut, move to Parramatta, and stop disrespecting the club that made him a life member.

In the countdown to what’s sure to be a fiery round one grudge match between arch rivals Parramatta and Manly, Watmough lit the fuse with an extraordinary attack on his old club at the Eels’ recent season launch.

A Sea Eagles’ life member, Watmough publicly admitted to his “hate” of Manly — and indirectly took another swipe at Geoff Toovey.

While Toovey refused to get into a public slanging match with his former star back-rower on Wednesday, Manly greats Ken Arthurson, Terry Randall and Max Krilich reminded Watmough what the club did for him.

Randall called his comments “dumb” and said “just keep your mouth shut”, while Krilich suggested Watmough should leave the northern beaches and go live at Parramatta.

Told Watmough had said “there’s people in this team who hate Manly even more than I do”, Arthurson was clearly shocked and upset.

“He said that? He said he hates Manly?” Arthurson asked. “For him to say those things really disappoints me.

Anthony Watmough has taken a veiled swipe at old coach Geoff Toovey.Source: News Limited

“I have no issue with him going to another club.

“But for him to speak in disparaging terms of the club, particularly as a life member, is very, very poor taste really.

“I think the Manly club has been very, very good to Anthony.

“I have the greatest respect for how he played for Manly and I regard him as a friend.

“As a matter of fact, I supported his life membership. I am just absolutely astounded.

“He has done a great job for Manly but the Manly club has been good to him, too.

“I mean, no one would have heard of Anthony Watmough if he had not have been playing football and the Manly club has helped him through the years. I am really disappointed.”

Watmough’s glowing praise of new coach Brad Arthur was clearly another slap in the face for Toovey.

Watmough said: “I just want to play for someone ... it’s good to wake up every day and want to go to training.

“I’m not sitting in my car, not wanting to get out. Not wanting to train ... you know you are going to get flogged, but you do it with a smile on your face.

“Brad is a pretty inspiring person.”

Asked if it was time for Watmough to move on, Toovey told media at training: “I don’t know why he wouldn’t but as I said you’d have to ask Anthony that question.”

Toovey again declined to comment when The Daily Telegraph contacted him afterwards.

Krilich suggested if Watmough hates Manly so much he should move out west.

“I think he should go and live out at Parramatta to be honest. He’ll enjoy it,” Krilich said.

“We all know Choc has had his demons and the club has always stood by him. Now he wants to bag them. It’s sad.

“The Manly football club has set him up for life. Now he wants to come back and have a shot at this club.

“I was the one who actually put him up for life membership. I think it is a sad indictment on the young fella.”

On social media, fans were outraged. Toovey’s former teammate Mark “Spud” Carroll was guarded in his defence.

“I don’t want to say too much. Toovs is a good mate of mine,” Carroll said.

Former enforcer Randall’s advice was straightforward.

Anthony Watmough celebrates a try in Manly’s 2011 grand final win.Source: News Limited

“Anthony is probably better off where he is now because he is happier but just keep your mouth shut,” Randall said.

“I know Choc. I’m not a mate of his but I see him in the street a bit. But from my point of view it is a dumb thing for him to say.

“You know the old saying, a still tongue is a wise head. I think it is a bit silly on Watmough’s behalf because he sounds like a bitter man.

“He would be better off saying nothing at all.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl.../story-e6frf3ru-1227224588871?from=public_rss

N

Natboy

I HATE Manly AND HATE that moron ninja turtle but they were pretty patient with him and he should just shut his mouth and move on

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep, he carried on , he wanted to move on so he should just concentrate on playing footy for his current club.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like watbro because he doesn't give a ****. Im really interested to know what really happened for someone who has played at a club so long to absolutely hammer them in the media.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Krilich - the less said about him the better. Lets just say many Manly supporters don't have a terribly positive light of the guy. Bloke declared himself bankrupt. Need I say more?
Arthurson - They claim he's an immortal. The bloke played less than 2 seasons of Rugby League then gave up the game. Provans, Raper, Fulton. THEY are league legends. Arthurson is just a 2 season hack. (expects a backlash over this comment).

Watmough can say what he wants about that joke of a club.

Pissed off Hasler enough that he wanted out. Took a dump on the Stewart family forcing Glenn Stewart out. Couldn't even keep a stable boardroom. Pissed off Watmough and made him leave.

Manly need a complete clearout, starting at the top (like the Dragons).

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
manly are a basket case and all the internal bitching and bickering just proves how bad things are there

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like watbro because he doesn't give a ****. Im really interested to know what really happened for someone who has played at a club so long to absolutely hammer them in the media.
I actually agree with Marley.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The slow painful death of manly began when des hasler came to us and is now getting worse

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty much, also why should you respect a workplace you have left that wasn't your taste?

I left my last job because I didn't like it and don't give a **** what happens to it lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's like a fat drunk girl who's faceplanted into a bin and when you start laughing her friend says "Stop disrespecting her"

Manly have disrespected themselves, Watmough is just joining in on the laugh.

Croc

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's funny how you like Watmough who runs sideways more often than Reynolds. Hehe

blowdawhistle

New Pup
Reaction score
Hi all. I'll' just come out and say it... i'm a manly supporter. I know i know, i shouldn't be here - and the rest of it. But i just wanted to say, i feel a great level of respect when fans like 'Bankstownsquare' can express or argue an opinion objectively, even though it might not sit well with popular belief. I personally wouldn't argue anyone's point on this forum - However I would on silvertails, and yes there are some who form ridiculous assumptions over there. Btw - im surprised to say, i found myself agreeing to a lot of opinions in the DCE post, be it for or against, as most had logical reasoning behind them.
Anyway just wanted to say, it's refreshing to see fans standing up against unwarranted speculation. That's all.

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
I agree with Marley (for once :p)

I am biased because I know Choc and I know that he was struggling last year at Manly. There are a lot of people with concerns about 2V's coaching and these people are in positions of influence at Manly. If, as I expect, they struggle this season, then 2V may be in trouble...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all. I'll' just come out and say it... i'm a manly supporter. I know i know, i shouldn't be here - and the rest of it. But i just wanted to say, i feel a great level of respect when fans like 'Bankstownsquare' can express or argue an opinion objectively, even though it might not sit well with popular belief. I personally wouldn't argue anyone's point on this forum - However I would on silvertails, and yes there are some who form ridiculous assumptions over there. Btw - im surprised to say, i found myself agreeing to a lot of opinions in the DCE post, be it for or against, as most had logical reasoning behind them.
Anyway just wanted to say, it's refreshing to see fans standing up against unwarranted speculation. That's all.
First and foremost ... welcome :grinning:

Whilst the banner might infer that we are a Bulldogs only forum, we welcome fans from any club here (as long as their objective isn't to troll/cause problems).

Nice first post ... look forward to reading other input from you (if you aren't one off posting) :grinning:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Welcome and great post mate!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.