Legends give Ryan highest accolade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
BULLDOGS legends Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb have flagged Bulldogs captain Andrew Ryan as a future club "immortal".
All five surviving premiership winning captains, including George Peponis and Peter Tunks, yesterday said Ryan was one of the greatest captains to serve the club, as they came together to celebrate 75 years since Canterbury's first game.

"He's one of the greats and one of the great captains of the Bulldogs or Berries," Mortimer said yesterday.

"He is a leader, he's humble, he's gracious and he's a great player. I think his influence and demeanour has rubbed on to players looking for inspiration and guidance."

Ryan, 32, has been at the club since 2003 and captained the 2004 premiership team with Steve Price missing the decider that year. He has been captain since 2005.

Former Bulldogs five-eighth Lamb said Ryan was a key in the club's dramatic transformation off the field and believes his beloved Bulldogs are in their strongest ever position thanks to Ryan, coach Kevin Moore and chief executive Todd Greenberg.

"Financially wise we're going really strong with sponsorships and membership drive. We've got over 10,000 [members]. This is the strongest the club has ever been," Lamb said.

"To be strong off the field, you've got to be strong on the football field."

The Dogs immortals gathered at Sydney Olympic Park yesterday agreed Ryan's reign had been the most "difficult" in the club's 75-year history.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
I know he has gone down a bit in recent years but at his peak he was a top player and has led the club very well over some difficult years

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think they are talking more so off the field as well.

He is a very genuine and modest bloke. From memory he has another year on his contract.

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
given all the off field stuff with playeys like mason williams matiua and some poor season id agree

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
loyal servant on and off the field, although i think he lacks with his captaincy on the field at times. Still a canterbury great and def should be a dogs immortal one day

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Completely Agree.

Anyone have a list of current Bulldog immortals?

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
hopefully this pumps him up for more inspired performances. i respect him for leading us through a very tough period, 2005 onwards, but Price also had some controversial times at the end of his reign as captain.

It is good that we stick by our captians, and we dont keep chopping and changing them, which can affect team morale. The captaincy for us is much like the captaincy of the Australian cricket team, once your selected,. then you're in for the long haul.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
May be slowing down in his old age...but dnt forget Ryan at his peak was automatic selection 4 the blues and had his fair share of games playing in the green and gold....leaving parra was the best thing he ever done....
cant wait til friday nite to celebrate his milestone game and the dogs 75th anniversary...hope we put 50 on the broncs...but wuld be happy with a good effort like last week and the 2 points!!!!

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Off the field agree 100%.

He's definitely been through the most crap as a player. No Captain has had a more turbulent career, both highs and lows.

Lately his form has had me questioning, but no doubt at his peak he's been one of our best.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
i like the part where desmonds want him dropped to the bench and stripped of the captaincy because he's the worst captain they have ever seen in there 3 years of following sonny bil.. i mean bulldogs.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
i like the part where desmonds want him dropped to the bench and stripped of the captaincy because he's the worst captain they have ever seen in there 3 years of following sonny bil.. i mean bulldogs.
LOL

Foo's

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Im lost with this dogs immortal talk..... Is that the ring of champions?!?!?

X

XxFoVoSxX

the legends have no idea, sack them all.. ryan is a has been

thanks.

NuffSed

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I nearly threw up reading this. He is no where near being a Bulldogs immortal.

Status
Not open for further replies.