Leeds Offer Is My Last Resort : Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
By Peter Badel and James Phelps
November 6, 2005

BESIEGED Dragons forward Lance Thompson admits reviving his career in England would be a last resort as he contemplates leaving behind the "most important thing in my life".

lance
Powerful bond: Dragons forward Lance Thompson with his daughter Shalisse
With Thompson on shaky ground at the Dragons, the back-rower has held preliminary talks with British powerhouse Leeds.

Should Thompson be sacked by the Dragons, his best chance of resurrecting his career would be in England, with almost every NRL club having completed their recruitment drive for 2006.

But Thompson concedes heading abroad would mean facing up to the heartbreak of leaving four-year-old daughter Shalisse.

"My little girl is everything to me, she's the most important thing in my life and I don't know if I could leave her behind," Thompson said.

"I guess there's always the possibility of going to England but it would be a last resort. I don't know ... it's a confusing time. Ideally I'd like to stay at the Dragons."

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington confirmed he has been in negotiations with Thompson's manager, Khoder Nasser.

The development comes after it was revealed that Thompson could be sacked after sending an offensive text message to team-mate Justin Poore on the eve of the Dragons' semi-final against Wests Tigers.

It is understood an angry Poore later confronted Thompson on the team bus just hours before the sudden-death clash.

"We have had contact with Lance's manager," Hetherington said. "We explained to him that we were in the market. He contacted us a couple of weeks ago and we said we were interested.

"We are waiting for Khoder to get back to us."

Thompson is not dismissing the prospect of extending his NRL career with a rival outfit. At an unofficial presentation night held by Dragons fans last week to celebrate his 200th first-grade game, Thompson revealed he would consider playing for the Bulldogs, Wests Tigers or Souths.

Thompson received an expression of interest from the Wests Tigers in July. But they were turned away by the Dragons, who insisted the City Origin back-rower was under lock and key.

Thompson is expected to meet with Dragons chief executive Peter Doust and coach Nathan Brown in the next fortnight to show cause why his contract should not be terminated.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
i wish our club had bought it....but we probably couldnt afford him
good luck to him :D

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
thommo isnt that great of a player he's just ok but his dispensable.we need backs not forwards anyway

BULLDOG 4 LIFE

Waterboy
Reaction score
I do not feel sorry for him.

All the players and coach hate him at saints and it is his fault.

He comes accross as a good bloke on t.v but behind the scenes he is a loser

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
He gave all his heart to the dragons

Good luck if leeds sign him but i don't think they will they have enough dynamic forwards.

I hope the sharks get him i still want to see bluey in the Nrl

D

Danish

I would have scraped Timmins quite frankly....

but Thompson would be my 2nd choice

M

MrCharisma

Can I just say if Leeds get him, they'd be insaney strong

8. Ryan Bailey/ Paul King
9. Matt Diskin
10. Jamie Peacock
11. Ali Lauititi
12. Lance Thompson
13. Kevin Sinfield

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
im just wondering what he wrote in the sms lol so nosey i wanna know!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
UB40 said:
im just wondering what he wrote in the sms lol so nosey i wanna know!

dear Justin

share her around with your mates
dont be greedy mate let me have a turn
im feelin toey and my name aint Gasnier ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.