Leaving their brains on the touchline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Check the scoreboard occasionally, will you Greg?

Photo Source: AAP

RelatedLinks
Sometimes footballers are just plain dumb
Not much more can be said about the Greg Inglis field goal attempt in the final seconds of the Rabbitohs' 8-6 loss to the Dragons. Inglis has called it a brain snap and insisted he thought the teams were tied at 6-6 for the entire second half. It’s hard to imagine that a professional sportsman of his calibre wouldn’t have checked the score at half-time, which was already 8-6.

More concerning revelations have surfaced from the Rabbitohs' burrow, with five-eighth Luke Keary revealing that Inglis had called on him to have a shot at field goal during the second half.

"He told me to have a shot from the 60th minute, or 65th minute, and when I didn't take a shot he had a shot at me. I didn't know what he was talking about," Keary said.

Young Keary may well be in awe of his captain’s standing in the game, but surely he could have found a few seconds to ask Inglis for clarification on that call? He could have then pointed to the scoreboard to explain why he had ignored a direct order to take a shot at the one-pointer. It might have saved Inglis some embarrassment and may have even led to a match-winning final play.

Sometimes footballers are just plain dumb - Part 2
The Warriors have had a terrible start to the year, despite taking the field with some of the most promising big-name signings of the off-season. Coach Andrew McFadden is under enormous pressure, and if he had any hair he’d be pulling it out over some of the things his players have done to contribute to three straight losses.

Ten minutes into their clash with the Storm on Saturday afternoon, the Warriors had their backs to their line after conceding consecutive penalties. Their defence was holding firm against the well-drilled Storm attack when winger Jonathon Wright did something that can only be described as dumb.

Late in the tackle count the Storm spread the ball across the field about ten metres out, with no one really running onto it. Wright's opponent Young Tonumaipea was standing a blade of grass away from the sideline when the pass was thrown his way. Wright had him covered and only had to watch him catch it before shoving him into the third row of the Mt Smart grandstand. Instead, he threw out his hand and knocked the pass down and into touch. The result: a scrum-feed to the Storm and their first try in the next set of six tackles. Those six points would haunt the Warriors in the dying minutes of the game, as the Storm broke a 14-14 deadlock with a field goal before wrapping it up with a runaway try. Who would be an NRL coach?

Cheering underdogs beats tipping favourites
There is a much understated advantage in staying out of footy tipping competitions – and that is the joy of cheering on the underdog. Just about every tipping-competition entrant in the land would have ticked the box next to the Broncos as they travelled to Penrith on Saturday to continue their winning run against the Panthers. As they predictably raced to a 22-6 lead, it looked like being a point in the bank for happy tipsters everywhere.

To the joy of Panthers fans, with half-time approaching the home team began an epic fightback. Anyone not in a tipping competition and with no personal interest in either team could have celebrated a great come-from-behind victory, capped by an incredible field goal by debutant Te Maire Martin. If you are perhaps harbouring resentment towards any team from north of the Tweed, the result was all the sweeter.

Considering that many tipping competitions seem to be won by someone’s mum picking her favourite colours or AFL fans tipping on a whim, you’re probably not missing out on much if you do give them a miss. The pay-off is avoiding all the frustration of trying to find a form-line in a sea of unpredictability coupled with never having to cheer for a much-hated team just because you have tipped them. And every now and then, you can feel the untainted pure joy of cheering home a complete underdog.

Can the Roosters recover?
With the Roosters having conceded more points in the first two rounds of this season than any other first two rounds in the club's history, it didn’t come as a surprise to see the Cowboys walk in for a try after only four minutes and another just three minutes later.

It was a terrible start for the Roosters, but they showed some much-needed heart in holding the Premiers out until seconds before halftime. It was all downhill from there, however, as the Cowboys went on to hammer them 40-0 in the often monsoonal conditions.

Desperately awaiting the return of some key personnel, the Roosters have fellow strugglers the Sea Eagles and Warriors in the next two weeks. If they can’t grab some points out of those two matches it could signal the start of a very long and painful season.

Sister kissing in Newcastle
Legendary coach Wayne Bennett is not a fan of golden point extra-time and has always said that no team deserves to come away empty-handed from a match where the scores are locked after 90 minutes.

At Hunter Stadium on Saturday, with the scores still locked at the end of golden point extra-time, neither team was celebrating. Despite a gallant effort from the home team, which fought back from a 16-0 deficit, the fans were left feeling deflated. The draw did feel like kissing your sister – and thankfully it only happens rarely these days.

Sometimes footballers are just plain dumb - Part 3

New Sea Eagle Martin Taupau has been one of his struggling side's better players so far this year, but you have to wonder just exactly what he was thinking when he collected Cronulla's Jack Bird with an ugly and blatant forearm to the head during Monday night's badly needed win for Manly. The hit concussed the defenceless young Shark, who had eyes only for the ball, and is sure to see Taupau spend significant time on the sidelines.

Being hard at it is one thing but, despite what some commentators said about Bird bending down somehow being a factor in the incident, this was a cheap shot. The back-rower is not going to be much good to his new club watching on from the stands after just three games. Not a great way to impress your new teammates or coach.

Do you agree with our review of round three's matches? Have your say in the comments section below.

Follow SportsFan on Twitter: @sportsfan_live

The views in this article are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of SportsFan.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/leaving...ticle_leavingtheirbrainsonthetouchline_220316

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bit hard to have a crack at Inglis when we have the original "field goal when you're losing already" guy in Terry Lamb - Terry was actually successful with his kick.

Terry Lamb re-lives infamous field goal attempt after Greg Inglis brain snap

an hour ago
Christian NicolussiThe Daily Telegraph

IF Greg Inglis thinks people will quickly forget about his field goal attempt when South Sydney were trailing by two points, maybe he should have a quick chat with Terry Lamb.

More than 20 years since he slotted a field goal when his side was also behind by two points, Lamb said he had copped it now more than ever from fans desperate to know what on earth went through his head that embarrassing afternoon at Belmore Oval.

Despite winning premierships and playing for NSW and Australia, Lamb said the two things he was most commonly asked about since he had retired was his tackle on Balmain’s Ellery Hanley in the 1988 grand final, and his 1992 field goal when the Dogs trailed Newcastle 12-10.

Terry Lamb kicks a field goal when trailing by two against Newcastle in 1992.
Lamb’s name almost immediately came up after Inglis’ howler on Sunday, with Bunnies coach Michael Maguire admitting during the post-match press conference his superstar No. 1 was “probably a bit of a fan of Terry Lamb.’’

“I cop it more now than I did in the yesteryear,’’ Lamb told The Daily Telegraph.

“I do a lot of after-dinner functions, and I’m always asked about Ellery Hanley and the field goal.

“Newcastle scored in the corner, I was talking to the players about what we would do, and I didn’t see John Schuster kick a goal.

“I was talking about how we’d get back down field the next set of six and I’d take the field goal.

“They (teammates) picked up on the score but didn’t say anything because they must have thought I knew myself.

“I kicked the field goal and then turned around to Mitch Newton and he said, ‘we needed two points, not one point’. I said, ‘ahhh, s. t’. We still had a couple of minutes to win the game, but we didn’t.

“It was embarrassing. Betting on rugby league was also just coming in, and I made a joke about having a bet, then the phones rang here (Belmore Oval) on Monday, saying I was a cheat and that. I was only joking.

“I was watching the game on Sunday but didn’t think anything of it. At the time I thought it was a draw, too.

“If you’re going to have a shot at field goal, make sure you get it. I was about 42m out and got it. He (Inglis) was only 10m out and right in front.’’

Inglis labelled the SCG shocker a ‘’brain explosion’’ after the game, and wasn’t backing away from the howler yesterday.

Greg Inglis was all smiles after Sunday’s brain snap. Pic Brett Costello
Bunnies’ No. 7 Luke Keary said Inglis actually told him to have a crack at adding one point earlier in the half, and couldn’t understand his frustrations when he refused to.

“It would’ve been good to see if he kicked it actually, to see if he’d celebrate it. It would’ve been funny,” Keary said.

“We didn’t say anything to him until we got into the showers, he walked in and he just started laughing.”

Lamb and the rest of the Canterbury faithful will hope Inglis doesn’t bounce back and make a statement against their club in the Good Friday blockbuster at ANZ Stadium.

The Dogs are coming off a loss against Parramatta, with Lamb labelling the kicking game “pretty ordinary’’, and one area the Dogs needed to address.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe Inglis was going with the old "nil all" at halftime and thought winning the second half was good enough lol.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lamb still managed to get a bit of a shot in.....
“If you’re going to have a shot at field goal, make sure you get it. I was about 42m out and got it. He (Inglis) was only 10m out and right in front.’’
...... but he might be needing glasses in his old age, Inglis was a little over 30 meters out and not right in front.

Keary's shot was better......
“It would’ve been good to see if he kicked it actually, to see if he’d celebrate it. It would’ve been funny,”

Status
Not open for further replies.