Lazy Recruitment!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From what I have been told, we have not shown any urgency when quality players in the positions that we are desperate for (off and under contract) are being offered to us. Our recruitment / senior management (not Baz) don't drive decisions quickly or are making decisions based on our unrealistic philosophies and expectations, if it wasn't for Baz and his urgency we would not have signed Burton & the Fox.

If we think we can sit back and only sign players "that have a passion for the club or players that will take less to come to us", then we are delusional and out of touch! This is a business and every manager is chasing dollars for quality players they represent! Passion is developed over time or through juniors that come through the grade and at the moment we wont see these type of players in our elite system for a while.

On the outside it looks like we are chasing quality players because a lot of hype is created through hear say and the media speculation, but in reality we are not as active as everyone thinks and we will continue to miss great long term opportunities, because we don't have the business acumen to deliver what does come in front of us.

The reality is that we can only afford to sign 1-2 quality players and they must be in the positions that we all talk about every week , lets pray that with some luck we can execute on these positions and they come with a standard we have not had for a while!

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that we will all be talking about the same issues over the next year again!
Slow and sleepy Bulldogs recruitment?... Hardly any suprise
images (21).jpeg

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We didn’t take the full contract
They paid some this year
Yes the Roosters put in 100K for this year as they were smarter than us and had only signed him for 2. years. I read we had to bump up our offer a bit at the end after the Sharks came in with a late bid

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have been told, we have not shown any urgency when quality players in the positions that we are desperate for (off and under contract) are being offered to us. Our recruitment / senior management (not Baz) don't drive decisions quickly or are making decisions based on our unrealistic philosophies and expectations, if it wasn't for Baz and his urgency we would not have signed Burton & the Fox.

If we think we can sit back and only sign players "that have a passion for the club or players that will take less to come to us", then we are delusional and out of touch! This is a business and every manager is chasing dollars for quality players they represent! Passion is developed over time or through juniors that come through the grade and at the moment we wont see these type of players in our elite system for a while.

On the outside it looks like we are chasing quality players because a lot of hype is created through hear say and the media speculation, but in reality we are not as active as everyone thinks and we will continue to miss great long term opportunities, because we don't have the business acumen to deliver what does come in front of us.

The reality is that we can only afford to sign 1-2 quality players and they must be in the positions that we all talk about every week , lets pray that with some luck we can execute on these positions and they come with a standard we have not had for a while!

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that we will all be talking about the same issues over the next year again!
I'm very concerned because I've heard this similar line a few times now from different sources - that those running our club at the moment believe we should only sign players who have a passion for our club and will take less to come to us. If they truly believe that then they're a bunch of dumb c..ts and the only type of players we'll be signing are the rejects - guys like Sione Katoa who no-one else really wants.

Even Flanagan and Allan were rejects really and even Hetherington, possibly Waddell also. If we want to improve we need to sign a few special players - players their current teams want to keep, game changers. Also considering our roster and where we are in the comp if we don't have the money up our sleeve to buy 2 or 3 more current State of Origin quality players then we are STILL grossly mismanaging our cap. Already we're paying one of our newer rebuild players to play for someone else. If that's not proof our admin have failed even recently I don't know what is.

I remember reading all the comments from the people who were against us signing Latrell Mitchell. Where are they now ?. I was all for signing Mitchell myself. One of the best players in the Origin tonight. We could of had him for the same money as we paid for DWZ and Waddell but at the time many thought DWZ was a better option because he was cheaper LOL. Next year we'll be paying DWZ 400K or more to play for the Warriors and Allan 400K to play for us (probably in the centres). For the same amount of cash we could have had Mitchell in place of Allan.

Do our admin even actually know anything about football really or are they just businessmen who are fans ? Before they signed DWZ on fullback money were they aware he didn't have a passing game or side-step ? After Lynne and Hill signed Thompson Lynne was quoted as calling him the best prop in the world. That was a claim someone else made in a media report before we signed him. Obviously Lynne just swallowed it hook , line and sinker. How many games did she and Hill actually watch him play before they made him an offer ? I think it was 1. So they're flying to England twice and signing players for around 900K based on the opinion of someone they don't even know ? I think they were just so desperate to sign someone "anyone" at the time to relieve a bit of pressure on them.

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
‘From what I have been told’ lol slow ya row big guy

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What makes you the expert on exactly how our recruitment team operates? You make it sound like they are all just sitting on their hands. Just because we havnt landed some of the players we were after, it doesnt mean that we are not trying!
Indeed, maybe they are trying hard behind the scenes , they must BE! may need to ramp it up a little, time will tell.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Indeed, maybe they are trying hard behind the scenes , they must BE! may need to ramp it up a little, time will tell.
I very much doubt they are doing nothing, as the OP suggested.