Lack of Experience is Telling

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As disappointing as some of our losses have been, when you look at the reality in the cold light of day, it really comes as no surprise. We simply lack the experience to compete with the better teams.

As mentioned in the ‘other league’ thread, our lack of experience should be acknowledged. Some will say it’s an excuse or whatever, but it’s a reason for these losses. It’s the situation we find ourselves in. No team with the lack of quality experienced players can compete with the top 8 teams. It’s just a simple fact.

Let’s look at last night’s team shall we?

7 of our 17 have played less than 30 games, with 5 of those having played less than 15, and 2 of those only a few games or less (Wilson and Oloapu). Most of our experience is from the likes of Reynolds, RFM, Okunbor and Waddell who obviously don’t offer a lot. TPJ has plenty of games but is not much better.

This lack of experience is always telling in effort areas, or positional and tactical decisions.

The harsh reality is we still have a lot of dedwood and inexperienced players. One area needing urgent attention is our weak forwards. TPJ used to be a hitman, now he’s a cuddler. The way Canberra and Warriors packs just strolled through us is alarming, but surprisingly, we actually had better numbers last night for some of the possession stats.

Until we have good experienced players, we’ll struggle against the better teams. Simple truth.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Basically we are playing NRL level footy at an age of an 8 year old??

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is all down to Gus surely? If he wanted experience he could have found it and he needed to, especially in the spine.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is all down to Gus surely? If he wanted experience he could have found it and he needed to, especially in the spine.
Sure, some of the blame lays with him. Along with the coaching staff, they obviously believed they had the pack to compete, when it’s been shown we clearly don’t. Missing Thompson and Kikau doesn’t help, but I still don’t see us competing with the better packs when they’re in the team. In fact Kikau was noticeably dom8nated in his appearances.

Maybe too much wrestling and bonding, not enough weights? We are made to look like weak little bitches by most teams.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dropping the ball big time in my opinion... First with the props and now with the spine.

I can understand they're sifting through the squad and building but in what world do you think an any half is going to become a superstar without
an on field mentor?

Has never happened, will never happen.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don’t have any of those types who you can look to and deliver big when the chips are down

Mahoney seems a bit mentally fragile, TPJ is a big pussycat, kikau goes missing, Burton goes missing, jacs on a wing wtf is he gonna do from there that is of any real significance? Our roster is a massive issue even at full strength. No true leaders. Don’t question Gus on Twitter though he’ll block you

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don’t have any of those types who you can look to and deliver big when the chips are down

Mahoney seems a bit mentally fragile, TPJ is a big pussycat, kikau goes missing, Burton goes missing, jacs on a wing wtf is he gonna do from there that is of any real significance? Our roster is a massive issue even at full strength. No true leaders. Don’t question Gus on Twitter though he’ll block you
I thought of the perfect line to @ him on twitter. “Being a Bulldogs fan, you invite disappointment into your life “.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Did anyone think we would be premiers this year? It is a rebuild year, one in which we improve on last year's 13th place and 7 wins, and get ourselves in shape to be in the conversation in 2024 and 2025. The Warriors are a good team and will likely finish in the top four. We should have beaten them a few weeks ago, and yesterday they scored four of the softest tries you will ever see, mainly because our team is so chopped about by injuries, nobody knows the game of the guy defending next to him.

There was plenty to like. Blake Wilson has announced himself as a first grader, as has Harrison Edwards. Pele looks like a wrecking ball in his short stints, and those short stints will get longer as he gains in fitness. Even Oki (and I never thought I'd say this) looks like a decent benchie when he comes on. Maybe I'm an incorrigible optimist but I believe Pangai and King are both playing injured. We can still win next week, and our second half draw looks easier than the first.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone think we would be premiers this year? It is a rebuild year, one in which we improve on last year's 13th place and 7 wins, and get ourselves in shape to be in the conversation in 2024 and 2025. The Warriors are a good team and will likely finish in the top four. We should have beaten them a few weeks ago, and yesterday they scored four of the softest tries you will ever see, mainly because our team is so chopped about by injuries, nobody knows the game of the guy defending next to him.

There was plenty to like. Blake Wilson has announced himself as a first grader, as has Harrison Edwards. Pele looks like a wrecking ball in his short stints, and those short stints will get longer as he gains in fitness. Even Oki (and I never thought I'd say this) looks like a decent benchie when he comes on. Maybe I'm an incorrigible optimist but I believe Pangai and King are both playing injured. We can still win next week, and our second half draw looks easier than the first.
Not premiers no, but expected much improvement. Tbh, we have had parts of games where we looked quite good to excellent.

Fark it being a rebuild year! We’ve been “rebuilding“ for 5 years… but that is the reality sadly. We need to rebuild again because we have so many young, inexperienced players and are banking on them being our future.

A couple of astute signings could go a long way though. We need at least one, preferably two hard cnut middle forwards asap!

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Gus is playing the long game to build a force that is here to stay. You can have a big shallow wave that dumps you or you can have a tsunami. I prefer the tsunami

As much as I will hate us playing like shit and losing - as long as i see our youth development getting stronger and great player debuting, then I will be patient.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not premiers no, but expected much improvement. Tbh, we have had parts of games where we looked quite good to excellent.

Fark it being a rebuild year! We’ve been “rebuilding“ for 5 years…
We haven't been rebuilding for five years. That was just hype. For three of those five years we had incompetent administrators that claimed we were rebuilding when they were digging us into an ever deeper hole. The rebuild only started with Khouri and Gus, and I think it is going quite well.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s got a point no lamb or sherwin no general to lead the team until that changes we are making up the numbers

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I expect to beat a warriors team who played trash.. they couldnt even put us away

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We simply need to fix the spine.
Warriors showed (as have most teams) that having sick outside backs is irrelevant, you just need a good spine

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus is playing the long game to build a force that is here to stay. You can have a big shallow wave that dumps you or you can have a tsunami. I prefer the tsunami

As much as I will hate us playing like shit and losing - as long as i see our youth development getting stronger and great player debuting, then I will be patient.
Just remember the long game worked at Penrith as those guys played together when young for years . Can’t use the same template as he did at Penrith . For all the shit tigers have coped , I have liked their trajectory . Buying experience and have real young talent coming through . They got a gun in API , once they fix their halves I see them being a top 6 side or better

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a disgrace that successive boards for the better part of 7 years have assembled a player roster containing players like Perham, RFM, TPJ, Waddell, flannogan, Burns, casey, Hoffman & Sutton. Whats worse is our juniors are so bereft of talent these peahearted talentless plods get selected every fucking week .Meanwhile we, the fans, simply loathe watching our team stand behind the try line week after fucking miserable week after shit turd fucking week.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We haven't been rebuilding for five years. That was just hype. For three of those five years we had incompetent administrators that claimed we were rebuilding when they were digging us into an ever deeper hole. The rebuild only started with Khouri and Gus, and I think it is going quite well.
There was a bit of hyperbole in that comment, but honestly we’re all just starving for a good team. Like any other fans that have been supporting the club since the 90s or longer, this is easily the worst period we’ve had to endure. Just sick of thinking “this year we’ll be good” then the same old rubbish.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Yep, Mahoney is struggling with what’s around him but absolutely no leaders or footy brains in the team

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

No side builds to become a "force" without experience in key positions. Never gonna happen.