Fox Sports Lachlan Ilias (more of an opinion than rumour)

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Better option than hutchison in attack and defends just as well, hutch is a solid reserve grade player as we all know. A 2 year deal at the right price would work imo.
That’s what I think too. Too many judge him off this years form. And the whole Souths club has imploded. I think with a better coach and environment he should do well. But like you said short term deal until the kiddies are ready wouldn’t harm us at all. And we do have roster spots open with some recent departures.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually think we will make a play. O’Neill is a damn exciting player and I’m top of the fan club but he is still a 2026 prospect. Woods even longer.
if Gould secures him cheap it’s not bad business.
I think Tia our other strong junior half will develop into a lock.
O’Neill might get approached by the chooks now that they’re keen for a Keary replacement but I’m sure Gus is all over it…. Besides, the chooks go for “ready made” talent so it’s more likely they go hard for Jerome Hughes or an interim like DCE or SJ who might have 1-2yrs in them.

Juniorluke

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
O’Neill might get approached by the chooks now that they’re keen for a Keary replacement but I’m sure Gus is all over it…. Besides, the chooks go for “ready made” talent so it’s more likely they go hard for Jerome Hughes or an interim like DCE or SJ who might have 1-2yrs in them.
I did say that to a friend recently. We also have plenty of salary cap available though so not overly worried about keeping him. Like you said it’s doubtful the Roosters will go huge on him anyway as he would still require development.
Burton on the other hand is probably one they would be keen on.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Roosters advantage is they don’t worry about contracts or cap space so it’ll be interesting to see who they land.

The thing to calculate is, if they are reporting a $4M war-chest from 4/5 outgoing players, they are indicating the remaining 25/26 players do not exceed $7.25M….If anyone could be bothered doing the math, It would be interesting….

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus Gould met with Ilias manager on the weekend it just came out

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I loved on 6 tackles with gus when that dude that always chew his fingers asked gus have you spoken to Lachlan Illias, and gus was like no I havent spoken to Lachlan Illias I have never met him :joycat::joycat::joycat:

I loved that haha. No mention if he has sounded out his management team haha. I doubt a coach/gm would ever call a player at another directly :p haha but smart man. He is playing chess while others are having succulent Chinese dinners.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s what I think too. Too many judge him off this years form. And the whole Souths club has imploded. I think with a better coach and environment he should do well. But like you said short term deal until the kiddies are ready wouldn’t harm us at all. And we do have roster spots open with some recent departures.
You think Ilias would be prepared to sign a short term contract knowing our juniors will likely take over in 2 -3 years?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You think Ilias would be prepared to sign a short term contract knowing our juniors will likely take over in 2 -3 years?
I think if he has first crack and 12 rounds to prove himself coming back from injury you’d think it’s good chance to prove himself? Worse case scenario he is back in reserves best case scenario he locks up the 7 jersey for the whole year.

I still think he is probably roosters bound. Uncle Nick loves a Greek international. But if I was Illias I’d rather go to a club that I’m competing with Hutch and Sexton who neither of whom have established themselves in NRL as halfbacks then going to a club knowing you are the backup.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I wanna see sexton play next to Burton I really do even trail him out for 2 or 3 weeks I think he is the best one up for sure

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be fair very hard to judge anyone at that club. He has done some great things, like you said defensive efforts are good, long kicking game is good. That team has been self combusting for over 18 months now. Was a bit rich to drop their half and hooker. Especially when the next up were no better. The root of the problem lies a lot deeper than1-2 personnel changes.

I believe the coach has not held players that were supposed to be accountable, he has let a bit of a free reign. Some assistants called it out. They are not there anymore. Illias might be worth the risk on a team friendly contract, but it could also back fire. I think what ever Gus Ciro and the board decide will probably be the best move for us. So trust in the brain powers.
Yes I agree he does have a great kicking game and defensive game he needs good players around him he would be a much better player he is a quick 23 year old who can only get better that’s his position 7 and always has but if he does come to the club expect a much more harder training session and and serious game plans

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I doubt Canterbury will get rid of any of there 7s