News Kylie Gone!

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is probably not ready.

But neither is Flanno.
This is it imo. I don’t expect Karl to dominate in his first handful of games and probably not even in his first season. He is very young, so it would be nigh on impossible that he will. BUT, if we look at Flanno, what has he contributed in ALL of his NRL games in total? Not a great deal, so as long as Karl isn’t a liability (Flanno has even been that to some degree) then it’s worth giving him a go. He will learn more playing against the best and we’re probably not losing anything since Flanno is so ineffective.

From what I’ve seen from his performances in reggies, he can handle it. He’s not a spindly thing like Sam Walker, yet even he and other guys like Jayden Campbell handle NRL fine.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This is it imo. I don’t expect Karl to dominate in his first handful of games and probably not even in his first season. He is very young, so it would be nigh on impossible that he will. BUT, if we look at Flanno, what has he contributed in ALL of his NRL games in total? Not a great deal, so as long as Karl isn’t a liability (Flanno has even been that to some degree) then it’s worth giving him a go. He will learn more playing against the best and we’re probably not losing anything since Flanno is so ineffective.

From what I’ve seen from his performances in reggies, he can handle it. He’s not a spindly thing like Sam Walker, yet even he and other guys like Jayden Campbell handle NRL fine.
My 20 cents (overpriced) what we lose without Flanagan is defence, his defence particularly on the line has saved many tries. His positioning of himself and those around him (he yells and points and moves players all the time) and his reads are excellent. From what I have seen in NSW Cup Oloapu has none of that, zero, his personal defence is very average, his reads are way off, comes in when he should slide etc and his direction of those around him is non existent. My fear is he might help us score a try or 2 but he will let in twice as many.

I will add, he doesn't look to me to be capable of 80 minutes, physically or mentally, in NSW Cup, how the hell he is expected to do that at NRL level.

There are good reasons CC and the coaching staff haven't picked him so far, those reasons haven't magically gone away.

Always a Bulldog

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Hayze Perham
2 Declan Casey
3 Jake Averillo
4 Paul Alamoti
5 Braidon Burns
6 Josh Reynolds
7 Matt Burton
8 Max King
9 Reed Mahoney
10 Tevita Pangai Junior
11 Corey Waddell
12 Jacob Preston
13 Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Interchange
14 Kurtis Morrin
15 Jayden Okunbor
16 Sam Hughes
17 Ryan Sutton

that’s the best 17 we could have hoped for. Bench looks the best of the year. Has some size and versatility so no excuses for second half fades anymore.

If we can slot Back kiraz, addo carr, kiks and thompson into this team then no doubts in my mind we are a top 8 team. Can’t believe we played 6-7 weeks with a prop, a back rower a 5/8 playing lock and a winger to play forwards as our bench :(

Finally looking good and hopefully a few wins are around the corner.
Surely if Brown is fit, okunbor makes way

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 20 cents (overpriced) what we lose without Flanagan is defence, his defence particularly on the line has saved many tries. His positioning of himself and those around him (he yells and points and moves players all the time) and his reads are excellent. From what I have seen in NSW Cup Oloapu has none of that, zero, his personal defence is very average, his reads are way off, comes in when he should slide etc and his direction of those around him is non existent. My fear is he might help us score a try or 2 but he will let in twice as many.

I will add, he doesn't look to me to be capable of 80 minutes, physically or mentally, in NSW Cup, how the hell he is expected to do that at NRL level.

There are good reasons CC and the coaching staff haven't picked him so far, those reasons haven't magically gone away.

Always a Bulldog
I reckon the defence angle has been overstated regarding Flanno. He’s decent, nothing amazing. I also think you’re underrating Karl. I haven’t seen many misses or worrying tackle attempts by him. He’s looked ok imo, even put on some big shots, just like we saw in his highlights against kids. If he can do a few of them on cup players, he’ll be ok in NRL. I do agree about reading the play though, but hard to say how he’ll go with better players around him.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon the defence angle has been overstated regarding Flanno. He’s decent, nothing amazing. I also think you’re underrating Karl. I haven’t seen many misses or worrying tackle attempts by him. He’s looked ok imo, even put on some big shots, just like we saw in his highlights against kids. If he can do a few of them on cup players, he’ll be ok in NRL. I do agree about reading the play though, but hard to say how he’ll go with better players around him.
I think you need to go back and watch Flanagan's defence, he has prevented at least 1 try and quite often 2 or 3 in every game this season. As a half the opposition runs back rowers at him constantly, as they should, as we should do when we are attacking.

In the mid field, one on one, Oloapu's tackling is pretty good, but in the red zone with a 5/8, back rower and centre running at him is the problem. He puts his centre and winger under pressure and out of position often. He also drifts in and out of NSW Cup games, that's a concentration and/or physical issue, which isn't going to get any better at NRL level.

He appears to have all the attributes and he works hard, he just needs time to grow into his body and develop physically and mentally.

Always a Bulldog

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
KO has not set the world on fire in NSW Cup. He has been alright but not exceptional.
The step to the NRL that he may take, is massive. There will be no where to hide.
He also will be targeted heavily by the Dragons.
But, he is a robust kid and he may surprise a few people. I hope he does.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Surely if Brown is fit, okunbor makes way
Nu makes the perfect utility. Can play lock, halves and is an exception dummy half. Could even fill in at centre and you reshuffle the backline in a worst case scenario.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
KO has not set the world on fire in NSW Cup. He has been alright but not exceptional.
The step to the NRL that he may take, is massive. There will be no where to hide.
He also will be targeted heavily by the Dragons.
But, he is a robust kid and he may surprise a few people. I hope he does.
Give him 3-4 games in FG and he will shut up everyone and their "hEs NoT rEaDy" cookie cutter reply.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think you need to go back and watch Flanagan's defence, he has prevented at least 1 try and quite often 2 or 3 in every game this season. As a half the opposition runs back rowers at him constantly, as they should, as we should do when we are attacking.

In the mid field, one on one, Oloapu's tackling is pretty good, but in the red zone with a 5/8, back rower and centre running at him is the problem. He puts his centre and winger under pressure and out of position often. He also drifts in and out of NSW Cup games, that's a concentration and/or physical issue, which isn't going to get any better at NRL level.

He appears to have all the attributes and he works hard, he just needs time to grow into his body and develop physically and mentally.

Always a Bulldog
According to nrl.com he literally has zero try saves …same number of try assists

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL halfbacks need to be a running threat. Kyle would have been told that 1,000 + times but the bloke just couldn't put it into his game. Perhaps the epiphany will come but it wont be at the dogs.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not much to get excited about with team selection. Yes we are down on troops but saints will not lose any sleep facing named squad.
The flange gone but we still have the worst maybe 2nd worst after tigers spine in the comp. Reynolds is a great competitor but we are in serious trouble if relying on him to turn our season around.
Bench is bog average okunbur is not nrl standard either as a winger or middle. Morrin gets 10/10 for effort but will get dominated in the middle and Sutton is a plodder at best. Great to see Hughes get another run to see if he is up to it. Edwards deserved a shot at least he provides some variation with his ball playing. Skelton surely offers more the okunbur.
Be nice to see tpj gets his jersey dirty this week.