(Kyle) Stanley picks Blues over Kiwis

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
State of Origin football has claimed another Kiwi scalp, with boom St George Illawarra utility Kyle Stanley rejecting advances from New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney to declare his allegiance to Australia.

Following in the footsteps of former Kangaroos fullback Karmichael Hunt and Brisbane backrower Ben Te'o, who both passed up the opportunity to play for the Kiwis to ensure their eligibility for Queensland, Stanley said the lure of Origin football was too great.

The favourite to succeed Darius Boyd in the Dragons' No.1 jumper next season if, as expected, Boyd heads elsewhere in 2012, Stanley attracted Kearney's attention when he burst onto the scene midway through last year, with brother Chase having represented the Kiwis in two Tests in 2007.

A regular off the bench for the Dragons, Stanley was tossed up as a potential Kiwi representative in next week's Test against Australia on the Gold Coast, with his versatility making him an ideal interchange utility.

But when he re-signed with the Dragons earlier this month, Stanley - whose parents are both from New Zealand - made it clear he wanted to one day have a crack at a NSW jumper, having been born and raised in Hurstville in southern Sydney.

"It was a tough decision but I was born here, I see myself as an Aussie," said Stanley, whose uncle is former All Blacks centre 'Smokin' Joe Stanley.

"I just want to see if I can get a shot at Origin - that's the ultimate game and it's every kids dream to play an Origin game.

"Steve Kearney came around to my house one day and spoke to me about playing for the Kiwis last year, but I got injured so I didn't have that opportunity.

"I told him I'd decide whether I would play for New Zealand. I got injured and that gave me more time to think about it.

"I spoke to my mum and dad about it and told them I was going to play for Australia and they were happy with my decision - it was all up to me at the end of the day."

With Chase to return to the Dragons in 2012 after two years with Melbourne, there is every chance the brothers could one day be teammates in the NRL yet opponents at Test level.

But dreams of Origin and Australian jumpers are still some way off for the 20-year-old, who is happy to await an opening in the star-studded red and white backline.

"I'm still young, the senior blokes here are doing a good job and I'm just learning and feeding off them," Stanley said.

"I'm happy to bide my time and when my time comes I'll take it with both hands."

http://www.nrl.com/stanley-picks-blues-over-kiwis/tabid/10874/newsid/62473/default.aspx

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The proud and highly legitimate Queenslander Ben Te'o. I still don't know how the hell he qualifies.

I don't care, if they don't want to wear the jersey by choice then I don't want them representing my country.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Stanley brothers are both gun players.... NSW needs all the help we can get lol

sirpartyman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Born in ozzie to both kiwi parents I dont mind either way he goes is fine..... As for Teo and Karmichael Ku^t they can suck a ***ing dik! Blatent traitors need a bullet.

S

Shermy

I really think Kyle will be one of the better footballers in the NRL in a couple years time.
He just is a natural footballer plus he has some very good athletic ability.

His brother Chase isnt quite as gifted and rather injury prone but the kid can still play somewhat and hopefully we get a chance to see him build up some form. I'm not too sure where he fits into the St George side though apart from maybe the backrow. There younger brother Jamie looks a fair player too. He is a lock and can play tough and skillfull very well.

sirpartyman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The whole Stanley tribe are injury prone unfortunately and there's many many of them former All Blacks etc. Smoke'n joes son Jeremy comes to mind forced to retire in his prime through injury. There's soooooo many talented stanleys floating around all from the same whanau so Im fairly shocked to read that Kyle wants to represent Ozzie. Well the Blues at least

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Went to school with him and you always knew he was going to make it big time. Watch out for Jamie as well...he's a gun

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
with hoppa and kyle both NSW backs the future is starting to look brighter for NSW

Status
Not open for further replies.