Official Kyle Flanagan signs 3 year deal

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe old mate TB is thinking he can turn Wakeham into a 9. Add a little muscle. firm up his D and you have a clean passing short kicking speedy number 9.
That approach worked exceptionally well with one of our best sort of recent hookers in Jason Hetherington.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine he becomes an origin player and the roosters fkd up letting him go. Would be epic
Only issue there could be that Uncle Nick might tell Fittler KF is off limits for NSW selection.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
View attachment 17862

Lachlan Lewis v Kyle Flanagan.

Thoughts.
If I'm reading that butt ugly graph correctly...
- Kyle got roughly the same kicking metres with less kicks
- Kyle got roughly the same Try and LB assists with less than half as much of the ball
- The thing I don't get, and why I don't know if I'm reading the graph correctly, is I was under the impression that Lewis was the worst offender in our defense this season for try and LB causes, and this graph seems to have him at practically zero with Kyle a major offender.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We picked up a good kid at a good price. I don’t know if he’ll ever be the best half in the game but he’ll be a good player for us, who can direct the team around the park, good general kicking game, good support play and a quality goal kicker.
Spot on.

We don't need a Thurston or Cronk although it would be nice. If he becomes an elite half in a couple of years then that will be even better.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With a chance to reflect a bit further on this signing, I'm feeling optimistic at this stage. While it would be utterly wrong to pin next-Thurston like hopes on the kid, there are plenty of positives about the kid.
- Goalkicker, 80.5% in 2020. At the age of 22 that is insanely good.
- Tough, played a half of footy with his shoulder needled up.
- Dedicated to his game, word is he is disciplined and determined, a real footy head. The amount of training he'd have to have done to get to where he is as a goalkicker would tend to back this up.
- As also the attention he got in juniors, he has been on the radar of leading scouts for quite a while. This is not conclusive (hello Lichaa), but you won't find many playing Origin who weren't getting noticed when they were in juniors.

Negatives
- Shane, hopefully he butts out and lets his son have his own career. Hopefully Baz and co have a plan for managing him.
- Rumours of getting some players at the chooks offside. We don't know the details, if the rumour that he said something about wanting to be coached by his dad one day are true, then perhaps he'll take an important lesson from this, don't give voice to any little thing that comes to mind, be choosy about what you say out loud. Fact is he has signed for 3 years, the same amount of time Barrett is signed for. If his dad gets a coaching gig once his suspension is over it won't be anywhere near his son for at least 3 years. In that time if he has shown himself to be a quality first grader who can lead a team to the finals on a regular basis, he may decide to stick around. A lot can happen between 22 and 25 years of age.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 17862

Lachlan Lewis v Kyle Flanagan.

Thoughts.
I'm guessing this is based on percentages avg per game against other halves in the same side.

Notice lewis has a very high percentage (80% or 4 out of 5 possession went to lewis rather than the other halves on our team) of possession vs the halves he is on the field with (e.g. ball hog) and does very little with it.

Kyle on the other hand received the ball very little (about 33% or 1out of 3 times) and still managed to outplay his halves on his team in try involvements, line engagements, kicks and kick meters.

Remember kick meters do not show inefective kicks, i.e. not finding grass.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. I'm comparing a roosters side effectively playing with 12 men on the field for 80 minutes in the grand final and winning easily vs storm to flanagan stepping into a well drilled team and failing
Don't know what games you saw but I never saw Flannagan fail or play poorly with Roosters.

If I were a betting man I'd be guessing or speculating Robinson wanted certain structured plays made at key stages and Flannagan could have made a different call and played what was in front of him. Only logical way to describe such a sudden and spectacular divorce.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't know how to read the graph @Mitch Connor posted, but I can't possibly work out how some of these numbers match up anywhere near the data on Fox Sports? Lol

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Everything about this signing was a great bit of business.
1. We picked up a talented halfback & goalkicker, who's young & has potential.
2. Roughly 350K a year (didn't pay overs).
3. Roosters chipping in 100K in the first year.
4. 3 year contract; enough time for him to prove himself without locking ourselves in.
5. Wrapped it up nice and early, gives him an entire pre-season with us.

Tell me; where are all the 'experts' predicting that no one would want to come to us, warning players to stay away, we'd only attract players if we pay cravy overs etc

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a chance to reflect a bit further on this signing, I'm feeling optimistic at this stage. While it would be utterly wrong to pin next-Thurston like hopes on the kid, there are plenty of positives about the kid.
- Goalkicker, 80.5% in 2020. At the age of 22 that is insanely good.
- Tough, played a half of footy with his shoulder needled up.
- Dedicated to his game, word is he is disciplined and determined, a real footy head. The amount of training he'd have to have done to get to where he is as a goalkicker would tend to back this up.
- As also the attention he got in juniors, he has been on the radar of leading scouts for quite a while. This is not conclusive (hello Lichaa), but you won't find many playing Origin who weren't getting noticed when they were in juniors.

Negatives
- Shane, hopefully he butts out and lets his son have his own career. Hopefully Baz and co have a plan for managing him.
- Rumours of getting some players at the chooks offside. We don't know the details, if the rumour that he said something about wanting to be coached by his dad one day are true, then perhaps he'll take an important lesson from this, don't give voice to any little thing that comes to mind, be choosy about what you say out loud. Fact is he has signed for 3 years, the same amount of time Barrett is signed for. If his dad gets a coaching gig once his suspension is over it won't be anywhere near his son for at least 3 years. In that time if he has shown himself to be a quality first grader who can lead a team to the finals on a regular basis, he may decide to stick around. A lot can happen between 22 and 25 years of age.
For some reason I thought try and line break causes were akin to assists, I was clearly wrong there.

Your right, I think they have missed a bit there.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Don't know what games you saw but I never saw Flannagan fail or play poorly with Roosters.

If I were a betting man I'd be guessing or speculating Robinson wanted certain structured plays made at key stages and Flannagan could have made a different call and played what was in front of him. Only logical way to describe such a sudden and spectacular divorce.
i agree, i watched him closely this year and i was impressed. i wasnt sold on him at the start of the year but he developed very well this year. He was tough, defended well and as a young half i was impressed.
i think more has been made of this, they have a "future superstar" who they think will play next year, so no need to hold onto him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Flange has a great general kicking game and his ball playing is decent but his biggest weakness is his running game.

It will be interesting to see if Robinson had him shackled to do a certain role at the Chooks and if he is capable of more.

This is where having Tbaz is a advantage for us there is no way he signs if Pay was still in charge.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Flange has a great general kicking game and his ball playing is decent but his biggest weakness is his running game.

It will be interesting to see if Robinson had him shackled to do a certain role at the Chooks and if he is capable of more.
running game is confidence, first year in first grade in a superstar team, thats tough. TB can give him the confidence and game management on when to run a certain times.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think that Trent and our management are smart enough not to have Shane around in any capacity at all, not even as a supporter to his son.
Kyle is a good young man with plenty of enthusiasm & a great chance of really developing his game at the dogs.
The main reason he wasn’t interested in going back to the Shire was the bad blood and politics which still exists due to his dad.
I’m happy for Shane to attend games and support his son just like the Hopoates come to support Will. I won’t mention names but we’ve had players family members on the field during farewell game celebrations etc who are absolute scum. As long as they are at arms length.
I don’t want Shane involved in any official capacity at the club