Kyle Flanagan Mid-Week Press Conference | Round 10 v Raiders

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He needs a break, is upset that he has fucked up so far.
Hopefully comes back more composed after watching a lot of video of his end of sets, or watches a few tapes of Foran digging into the line before passing

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Give me a break. If we were well run like the Storm for example the media would be sucking us off, and talking about how good our systems are etc.

We cop it because we're a joke club/basket case.
You are kidding yourself if you think the media will ever be fair to us, for two decades they have driven their hatred campaign against us for refusing to sign Souffs death warrant.

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanno played really well against Newcastle and since that game he has been getting smashed on the field which has lowered his confidence.

Playing in reserve grade will be a blessing for him as it should help to build his confidence and allow him to earn his spot. He will be able work on his game with much less pressure.
He is still very young and learning his trade. It will take time but I think he will become a great half.

Good luck Flanno.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worst part about when an under performing player comes out and shows emotion like this, everyone shows them sympathy but ignores the fact that they're under performing. People start defending him just cause he has a bit of a cry. I feel for Kyle, he's a young guy and he wouldn't like the level he's playing at and it's not entierly his fault. I'm glad he cares but hopefully showing this emotion doesn't mask the fact that he's been pretty fucken shit this year.
or people show zero compassion and forget they were once 22 or have kids of their own...

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This shows he's a mentally fragile kid. It also shows that he will play wherever his dad coaches. Happy to be patient with him as the team around him is trash, but club needs to be careful... Are Furner and Sandercock providing value ? Would Shane Flanagan be a good assistant option ?
Not sure that Flannigan as assistant would change much, he was assistant at the dragons with Mcgregor and I don’t think they improved all that much

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You have to feel for the kid but gee I just didn't hear "I take full responsibility for my form and I understand I am not providing the right plays for my team mates to succeed".
Yeh I know, although sometimes its hard to take responsibility and accept reality when things aren’t working out as you expected them too.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Clearly all of the pressure from the media and fans is getting to him. You feel for anyone struggling mentally but at the same time, this is what comes with the territory when you're an NRL player, especially the main half at a club..

Some time in Reserves out of the spotlight would probably be best for his game and his wellbeing right now.
Yeh think it might do him some good, hopefully

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I feel for Flanno, but you would think he has never failed at anything in his life. It was just a hook, he deserved it, but it's not the end of the world for him.

Should have held him back from all media obligations this week.
He’s just an emotional bloke by the looks of it, I was like that when I was his age.
He must be feeling all the pressure and also very down on confidence at the moment too, so that can make you emotional

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeh I know, although sometimes its hard to take responsibility and accept reality when things aren’t working out as you expected them too.
For sure. The team has been a train wreck.

Not one person would have started the year thinking it would unfold this bad.

We didnt expect miracles or that many wins but 6again, draw, lethargic form, roster, injuries etc have all contributed as well as blame on the players and coaching staff, leading us to this hole.

It will hopefully improve as the season unfolds so that something can be salvaged for next year.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’ve read some comments on here and in typical kennel fashion , there’s plenty reactive posturing by people and quick to sink the boot in .

Flanagan knew from Lewis being on the bench that he was on notice for poor form and execution of the game plan .
In fact , I recall BaZ highlighting some really poor options from round 2 .

He walked into the press conference smiling. It wasn’t until questions that from press that something hit a nerve

How the Phuk was the club going to predict Flanagan was gonna break down and have a sook at this point ?

The interesting thing I find with Flanagan situation is that all through his juniors from about 12 he’s been in teams that have always won grand finals.
He hasn’t dealt with adversity and his reactions today show he’s no way near mature or ready enough to handle the pressures that come with being a important player in a critical position

When Steve Waugh got sacked for his brother it made him more determined and he got back into the team and become one of our greatest cricketers.

The best thing flanagan can do for himself is knuckle down and reset. A situation like this can sometimes be the making of a career and I personally feel he has the skill set to become a good player but he needs to get over this crap of being dumped by the roosters and show that he can be a good player at nrl level.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanno can definitely do it. His emotion shows he really cares. He will come back from this. I think Baz should peel back some structure and get him to play what he sees. If I’m Baz I’d be putting him straight back into the fire this week, at least for half a game and tell him to just go out there and play footy.
Pull back the structure- totally agree

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club should have foreseen that this was going to be hard for him to deal with given that the media are ***** who weren't going to focus on anything but the touchy subject of him being dropped to the bench. Probably a bit of a poor choice to let him get put on the rack this week. I'm sure that he'll be able to talk to people within the club or his family if his mental health is not good. And despite not having been impressed with his form compared to his statements in the pre season I have some sympathy for the fact that it's a tough gig. Really hope he's able to get his head right in the coming weeks and find some confidence and form.

If he's going to be working in an industry where he's one of thousands of kids who've dreamed of being in his position and quite probably worked every bit as hard only to fall short long before this point, he does have to learn to take the hit to his pride and look to improve in the areas needed. Most players that have long careers need to get reality checks every now and then. We all know of players that have plenty of talent but no drive to succeed who probably could have benefited from timely reality checks. Guys like Milford etc who have talent in abundance but who don't have the drive to do more than hold a spot in their teams.

I hope that this is something that adds to Flanagans determination to elevate his game to elite levels. Having come through the grades in a system where his father was head coach probably meant that he's copped very little criticism on his way up. He's not owed a career in league and it really is a cut throat career where if you don't perform you don't last. His comments lead me to believe that despite his disappointment he's going to try to earn his place back in the team. It's up to him to get himself back into the role by working on the weaknesses in his game. I admit that I'm not overly attached to him as a player, but for the sake of the team I hope he comes back into our top 17 at some stage and proves all the haters wrong.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
because he can’t deal with his emotions that’s the clubs fault?
what if he went into the presser and held his head up, admitted to not playing well and insinuated he was going to work hard to get back because he owes the club for giving him the opportunity to play first grade?

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wakeham has shown ability coming through the grades, however has not performed well when playing in FG. Looking forward to see how he performs this weekend. Hope he takes this opportunity & performs well.

Malla

Reaction score
Wakeham has shown ability coming through the grades, however has not performed well when playing in FG. Looking forward to see how he performs this weekend. Hope he takes this opportunity & performs well.
Well this is his chance I guess.. he will probably get 2-3 weeks in first grade I reckon, if he can perform well then surely he makes it his.

Also whats interesting is Averillo was named 7.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can't see that happening. Wakeham is a natural 7 while Avarillo is more suited to a 6.