Kurt Mann to half/5/8

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I see Mann as the perfect lock. SEveral great 5/8's played locklike Lewis and Fitler and even Langmack played there a few times. Him and Salmon are ideal to rotate I think as Salmon is a bit similar except I think be can break the line with his slightly bigger size.

Mann can also play hooker and dummy half so he's versitile. I reckon as we are now the more he is on the filed the better.

But I think we have plenty of 5/8's and halves that should get a chance. I think Tracy would be ok by the looks of his earlier days at half or 5/8. Don't forget Oloapu. I hope he gets another go this year with a new team. We need some x factor in the halves. Sexton is probably the most experienced half with a bit x factor. But he seems to hold back. But maybe he could be developed into a Sherwin type halfback.

Thats why I reckon we should eventually blood one of the young halves like Woods who has heeps of talent. Most good sides have at least one half with that unpredictability that can make something out of nothing. Like Munster or Johnson. In the meantime we have a lot of good halves that will fill the role until we can develop our own.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Once Patolo/Knight/Sutto/Tetz/Fafita are ready i'd be shocked if we see Salmon/Morrin and Mann in the same team.

The line-up and mins played are obviously based on whose available.
How far off do you reckon Patolo is KL can't be too far? The middle three mentioned aren't terribly exciting lol Maybe a fully fit Sutton can surprise us?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How far off do you reckon Patolo is KL can't be too far? The middle three mentioned aren't terribly exciting lol Maybe a fully fit Sutton can surprise us?
They aren't but they are no push overs either.

Patolo and Sutton were itching at the bit to get going during pre season pacing around all pre season.

I haven't seen much of Patolo but he has had 2 games under his belt now, no issues.. maybe a couple of rounds more?

Hoping we see Kautoga get some game time soon.. CC needs to realise these small forwards as hearty as they are just aren't giving us enough in the final third.

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I disagree.
I'd rank Hutch, Mann and Salmon as our best players over the 2 games. And i reckon CC agrees.

Curran has been ok but not the player he was at the Warriors.

The three above have been better than at their previous clubs
Salmon was playing NSW Cup at Panthers.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Mann at lock.
But in order for this to occur, we would need to drop Salmon to NSW cup and have a proper utility who can replace Mahoney when needed.
I also don't see the merit in carrying Salmon on the bench to replace someone like Kikau when our 2RFs are taking no rough carries to help our middles

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are taking my posts out of context. But I know who I would take in our current situation and thats Wilson every day. He is better value for money and we could use extra cash for better half or middle forward we desperately need.
You are ignoring the reality of the situation. Fox and Wilson are on the current payroll and so it's obvious out of them who should be in the team first.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You are ignoring the reality of the situation. Fox and Wilson are on the current payroll and so it's obvious out of them who should be in the team first.
No doubt but you have missed the point of my OP

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt but you have missed the point of my OP
No you have missed the point of my OP. Wilson's "higher ceiling" you refer to is not a statement of fact but your opinion. The fact is no NRL club would choose Wilson over Fox on current ability and form and any other tangible measure. Fox if he returns from injury and remains healthy would be on the wingers shortlist for Origin this year. How many years would it take for Wilson to be considered for Origin if at all? That puts into perspective your comment of his "higher ceiling".

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No you have missed the point of my OP. Wilson's "higher ceiling" you refer to is not a statement of fact but your opinion. The fact is no NRL club would choose Wilson over Fox on current ability and form and any other tangible measure. Fox if he returns from injury and remains healthy would be on the wingers shortlist for Origin this year. How many years would it take for Wilson to be considered for Origin if at all? That puts into perspective your comment of his "higher ceiling".
My OP was that we have seen Fox's ceiling and that was at Melbourne, he isn't going to break through that ceiling with us. Wilson however is on way less money in our cap and has alot of potential. Therefore moving Fox on if it meant getting someone like Terrell May, would be the best thing for the club. You or others can try and spin it whatever way you want, but just remember Charlie Staines won a comp outside Crichton at Panthers, perceived elite wingers like Fox are a luxury and not really needed.

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mann is a good utility who can act as cover for lock, don't about him being a permanent fixture in the starting side . Kiraz is a winger, Burton is a 5/8, Crighton is a centre, Curran is a backrower. If it was me 1. Papali'i, Taffe, Tracey
2,5 JAC, Kiraz, Skelton, Wilson
3,4 Crighton, Tracey, Xerri
6. Burton, BBO, Taffe
7. BBO, Hutchinson, Sexton
8, 10, Faamasuali, Fifita, Hughes, King, Knight, Patolo, Sutton
9. Mahoney, Turpin
11, 12, Kautoga, Kikau, Preston, Salmon, Samrani
13. Curran, Edwards, Mann, Morrin
14. Mann, Salmon, Taffe, Tracey
Pick players in positions where they might have a future in the NRL.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mann is a good utility who can act as cover for lock, don't about him being a permanent fixture in the starting side . Kiraz is a winger, Burton is a 5/8, Crighton is a centre, Curran is a backrower. If it was me 1. Papali'i, Taffe, Tracey
2,5 JAC, Kiraz, Skelton, Wilson
3,4 Crighton, Tracey, Xerri
6. Burton, BBO, Taffe
7. BBO, Hutchinson, Sexton
8, 10, Faamasuali, Fifita, Hughes, King, Knight, Patolo, Sutton
9. Mahoney, Turpin
11, 12, Kautoga, Kikau, Preston, Salmon, Samrani
13. Curran, Edwards, Mann, Morrin
14. Mann, Salmon, Taffe, Tracey
Pick players in positions where they might have a future in the NRL.
Pick the biggest, strongest, fastest, most skilfull, best future and pick and stick.
Let TK pick them....NOT CC lol