Kurt Mann to half/5/8

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's correct and we are trying to manufacture Curran into something else
What is a lock?

A strong bodied workhorse type forward with vision, footwork and ball skills? Sounds like Josh Curran.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mann has been prob our best player in the role hes In so lets not mess with the few things that are actually working well. Id be bringing Sexton in for hutch who has been near abysmul
I disagree.
I'd rank Hutch, Mann and Salmon as our best players over the 2 games. And i reckon CC agrees.

Curran has been ok but not the player he was at the Warriors.

The three above have been better than at their previous clubs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wilson is a reserve grader and has butter fingers. Kiraz breaks tackles and makes more yardage than our forwards.
Wilson has the highest ceiling out of all our wingers when considering we have already seen Foxs peak

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He should be lock over Salmon. Genuinely amazes me how fucking shit Salmon is yet he gets the start over other players.
I suspect you dont see the defensive work that Salmon does. He reads the play off the ruck better than anyone in the team and sets the tone for defensive ruck speed.

Watch him closely especially at marker. Youll understand its these 1% ers that CC values alot at the moment.

Mann is definitely more of an attacking threat and if we keep losing, CC will have no choice but play him longer and maybe even start him. But atvthe moment the focus seems to be on defence and Salmon gets the jump.

Its the same as Hutch at 7. Unless Burton is moved so Hutch can play 6, Sexton wont displace Hutch who does a mountain of cleanup work

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the focus needs to be on ineffective forwards rather than always blaming Burton. Give him some alpha props around him and a decent half back and then let's see how he performs
And until then, just pick the better halves.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Curran has mostly played edge at the Warriors.
Plenty of players not just forwards start wide and move in... Just to name a few locks who started on an edge are guys like Murray, Harris and Yeo.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty of players not just forwards start wide and move in... Just to name a few locks who started on an edge are guys like Murray, Harris and Yeo.
Finucane, Fifita etc

Yes, this is true. I wonder if Preston can play the 13 role? Probably not bulky enough but certainly can handle the defensive side of things

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I suspect you dont see the defensive work that Salmon does. He reads the play off the ruck better than anyone in the team and sets the tone for defensive ruck speed.

Watch him closely especially at marker. Youll understand its these 1% ers that CC values alot at the moment.

Mann is definitely more of an attacking threat and if we keep losing, CC will have no choice but play him longer and maybe even start him. But atvthe moment the focus seems to be on defence and Salmon gets the jump.

Its the same as Hutch at 7. Unless Burton is moved so Hutch can play 6, Sexton wont displace Hutch who does a mountain of cleanup work
Agreed, he def adds starch to our defence

My only knock on Mann is I'd like to see him pass more. True, he needs runners running lines, but he also needs to call them into play. With his movement around the run, Taffe, Kikau running a line, and maybe even Critta should be all over him, waiting for a short ball when he darts out of dummy half. I like his running game, but it seems like run, run, run, pass.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Finucane, Fifita etc

Yes, this is true. I wonder if Preston can play the 13 role? Probably not bulky enough but certainly can handle the defensive side of things
I dont think Presto has the ball playing skills for it... Reckon the edge is perfect for him and Curran/Mann/Salmon are great options at lock until Damon Marhsall is ready to share the role with Curran.

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I really like the look of Tom Weaver at the Titans as a young 7.. wonder what his contract status is.
He's pretty complete for a young kid.. Tough in defence, great kicking game and seems to read games well..

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the look of Tom Weaver at the Titans as a young 7.. wonder what his contract status is.
He's pretty complete for a young kid.. Tough in defence, great kicking game and seems to read games well..
What about the halves in our lower grades who are contracted in our Top 30 and Development?

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Connor Tracey inmo was not fit for 1st grade on Friday night. Needed two games in cup to bring up the pace. Bronson or perhaps Skelton should have been used for fox's replacement. Kurt Mann could do a job anywhere on the park for us if selected.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Connor Tracey inmo was not fit for 1st grade on Friday night. Needed two games in cup to bring up the pace. Bronson or perhaps Skelton should have been used for fox's replacement. Kurt Mann could do a job anywhere on the park for us if selected.
Tracey had 20 runs for 160m, a tackle bust and no errors for his first game in months

better numbers than Fox

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Higher ceiling than Fox? yeah right. He's a reserve grader.
Re read what I have written in OP. Fox reached his ceiling / peak in Melbourne and he will never match or exceed those levels with us. Therefore Wilson is the winger in our squad with the highest ceiling, one could argue Kiraz, but he's just a battering ram / toiler.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re read what I have written in OP. Fox reached his ceiling / peak in Melbourne and he will never match or exceed those levels with us. Therefore Wilson is the winger in our squad with the highest ceiling, one could argue Kiraz, but he's just a battering ram / toiler.
Fox at his current level is still far superior to Wilson. You want to debate that? Put it the test - if both were on the open market how many clubs would choose Wilson over Fox and offer him the same salary as Fox? The answer is obvious.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fox at his current level is still far superior to Wilson. You want to debate that? Put it the test - if both were on the open market how many clubs would choose Wilson over Fox and offer him the same salary as Fox? The answer is obvious.
You are taking my posts out of context. But I know who I would take in our current situation and thats Wilson every day. He is better value for money and we could use extra cash for better half or middle forward we desperately need.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Out of all our offseason utilities we got without a doubt head and shoulders above the rest was Mann. He can be as effective at hooker, lock, back row or halves. Guy needs a starting spot for sure. If Preston wants to stay on an edge and isn’t keen to play in the middle I think Mann starts. Either man or Hutchinson would do a much better ball playing job the Salmon. Mann has a bit more speed and maybe can get us a bit more yardage up the middle that Hutch and Salmon can’t.

But it’s always an issue having so many new players trying to figure out combos. We will definitely be better at the back end of the season. I’d be happily surprised if we are off the bottom of the table.