Kris Keating Discussion Thread 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the first time i saw keating run at the line his passing game wasnt to good few knock ons his fault 50 50 kicking game found some space but has a lot to work on. I cant wait till hodkinson is back will give them both incentive to play better.

Alphamale

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Keating hit a couple of nice kicks, as well of a couple of terrible ones.

Basically the guy works hard, defends well for a small guy,is a decent 2nd/3rd option left foot kicker but lacks creativity or vision.

Sounds more like a hooker than a half back to me.

He's doing a job for us as best he can, but we either need to get reynolds even more involved in 5th tackle options and hide him in our team structure like last year (which really you shouldn't have to do with a half back) or we need a different option at 7. TH does seem to be a more natural and talented half but his injury and form issues have given KK an extended go at 7, although both at 100% I don't think theres any doubt Trent is a better half. Hope he can get healthy and in form so he can put some pressure on KK, otherwise we need to go to open market.

I've said before out of the the options out there, I'd be very happy to see us pick up Chad Townsend whio is off contract and stuck behind Robson and Carney. He'd be excellent value, great kicking game, yound but with 1st grade experience and an ideal foil for J Reynolds to be the creative flair.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
You guys just dont get it.

He doesn't have the talent of a Thurston or Cronk so stop expecting him to play like them. He is giving it his all, but when the stars are missing he is exposed for what he is - a good park footballer.
don't think anyone thinks or expects him to have the talent of JT or Cronk. That's ridiculous, but why say people don't get it if you then go on to say that he's a good park footballer. A good park footballer would have no vision, kick into opp players and throw sh!t passes. Exactly what we're saying.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Keating disrupts the natural flow of the team as opposed to helping it, he throws speculative or poor passes most of the time and has absolutely no clue in attack, Reynolds has been ever improving since last year and has began taken a bigger role in our team, we wouldn't have won without him; his break through the line, and his kick leading to a Perrett try were crucial for us. Keating doesn't even have this ability, he needs to go and fast.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
Keating disrupts the natural flow of the team as opposed to helping it, he throws speculative or poor passes most of the time and has absolutely no clue in attack, Reynolds has been ever improving since last year and has began taken a bigger role in our team, we wouldn't have won without him; his break through the line, and his kick leading to a Perrett try were crucial for us. Keating doesn't even have this ability, he needs to go and fast.
tell Berries. He thinks he's a liability. Takes every opportunity known to man to give it to him. For what reason I have no idea.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I concur, look at Melbourne for example they build their team around the 1, 7 & 9 (the big 3)

We have the potential to be even better than them.
Melbourne do have Gareth Widdop now and he is a good player imo, so they have the 1, 6, 7 and 9 combo going and which I believe what makes the top teams stick out more (look at origin or international games). Last years grandfinal they had that combo and we only had 1, 6 and 9 versing their combo with an extra player who has capability and can setup things. It shouldn't matter if Barbas' playing or not, you need a quality halfback who can stir his pack around. Thats a halfbacks role in this game superstar fullback or not!

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sit him in a room and make him watch game day videos of the BEST half back in the world COOPER CRONK.In the last 4 games that Coops has played in he has been M.O.M.(Prelim.GF.WCC and 1st game of season.Not a bad effort.During the off season Coops went away with the Collingwood Footy club to do altitude training in his own time.
That Thurston bloke is pretty crap hey :p

I know he is playing alot of 5/8 these days, and not disrespecting nor playing down Cronks ability, but pedantics aside....we all know what the rest of the world is aware of

Roberts and Keating were by FAR the worst players on the park last night lol
Bring back Woeberts! :p

I will continue to refrain from the childish comments that I see from many posters here, but last night Keating did have a poor game and if Hodkinson plays well in the NSW cup match then I think it might be time to give him a try.

The biggest problem we have is that we play Melbourne next week and shuffling a side around too much before coming up against such a good side might not be the best option.

People need to realise that we won the Minor Premiership last year with Keating at half and he looked good when he ran the ball himself instead of trying to create options. My belief is that if Keating played as a running half and let Reynolds be our playmaker then we would see a far improved performance from him.

That said though I do trust Des as our coach and I am sure he has reasons (and plans) for what he is doing with the side. We do still have a fair few players out.

And I agree with Indiandog, at least Keating is trying his guts out. Hayne for the Eels last night looked like he didn't care. Kris at least shows he cares about the team and his performance, he just doesn't have the freakish ability of other players to be one of the top NRL halves. You can't bag him for not putting an effort (although seeing some of the childish rants on this forum, I'm sure some people will still do so)
I don't know if anyone is bagging him for not putting in effort (at least the majority aren't, from what i've seen), just his lack of skill. He's not even a ball running halfback, because even after the majority of last season at halfback, he still consistently couldn't make the right decisions on when to pass, far too often. We might have an improved team if we followed last years gameplan, but it won't win us a premiership, that's the other frustrating part.

Correct :p

Gingerbread Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Keating was only saved by the mirror image of himself on the Parra side - Ben Roberts. BRoberts managed to equally sabotage Parra's raids at our line. Imagine for one second now if our half and 5/8 was Keating and BRoberts!!?? When Des names the same side next week at least we can get some comfort in knowing that it can always be worse!

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
dont bag u10's, the No7 in my side can have more of an impact than this ranger
my bad i should have stipulated the fact that I was referring to the U10 amputee side from the blind school in western Mongolia. Absolutely the 7 in you U10 side would school keating.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
how sh1t does he have to play before he gets dropped....watching hodkinson in NSW cup today gives me more confidence in him to be the man for the job...he may not be setting the world on fire but at least he can organise the team and has a better kicking game

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trent had a 7/10 game which is 10 times better than any game keating is involved in.
Very good kicking game today plus set up a nice try for burr with a slight of hand.
trent passes actually hit a players chest and his kicks dont find the fullback on the full!

Tails

Waterboy
Reaction score
Trent had a 7/10 game which is 10 times better than any game keating is involved in.
Very good kicking game today plus set up a nice try for burr with a slight of hand.
trent passes actually hit a players chest and his kicks dont find the fullback on the full!
And you have to remember when you play with kids you act like a child and when you hang with adults
you act like an adult. He did his best with what was around him it wouldn't be easy for him to make things happen in that side. Good all round performance for a guy who's played only his second game since march last year.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
keating will be in the side until the bulldogs find someone better, hogkinson is not the answer either

adamski007

Kennel Established
Reaction score
KK is not going anywhere, there isnt anyone to replace him plain and simple.
I think the best thing is to give the guy support to help boost his confidence and hope he watches some video on Thurston and Cronk over and over many times.

BulldogsFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
keating will be in the side until the bulldogs find someone better, hogkinson is not the answer either
in your view, he isn't the `answer' but you would agree that he is the 2nd best answer in which scores you a 0.5 in an exam, which ultimately makes you pass the uni subject! and keating would one of those totally off answers, that makes your marker lose a few brain cells marking your question

plus he should at least be given the chance to prove he isn't answer

S

Sharpy

KK is not going anywhere, there isnt anyone to replace him plain and simple.
I think the best thing is to give the guy support to help boost his confidence and hope he watches some video on Thurston and Cronk over and over many times.
Ahhhh a voice of reason , well done, lets support whoever des picks

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why aren't we chasing Luke Keary as a long term option as our future half back. IMO he has the ability to school both TH & KK combined.

storm2012

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
5th consecutive MOM award to Cooper Cronk last night.
Johnathon who ??

Status
Not open for further replies.