Kris Keating - 2011 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Holdsworth at least gave it a go and didn't kill momentum of the ball when he got it.

Keating couldn't even crack a first grade Eels side with Mortimer in the halves. Heck they kept Jeff Robson over him! He's not a first grade player. Bench at a pinch, but more suited to NSW Cup, and even then he's got better hookers ahead of him there. Should have gone to ESL from Parra .. the game would have suited him better and he'd have killed it.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
id think that hodkinson is more like another holdsworth

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Holdsworth was frustrating to watch also, and i hate to say this,. but our last decent 5/8th was anasta, atleast he created more opportunites,

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
i wanted us to chase Anasta hard when he was off-contract, The Poofters offered him a 1 year extension..

C

chipandchase

i wanted us to chase Anasta hard when he was off-contract, The Poofters offered him a 1 year extension..
whilst Anasta is still a good player, he is more suited to lock.
if we had Anasta, we would have the worlds slowest halfback and then the slowest 5/8, not a good combination.

everyone bags Keating, but it all starts with the halfback, Hodkinson is the one who should be the first one sacked.
Look at Walsh on the weekend, he started everything for Penrith, he created tries. The five eights are usually dictated by the halfbacks, not the other way round

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Honestly, i just think this team is badly-coached.

Cherry-Evans was never a great player in NYC, his just in a well-drilled, well-coached side. It's all paying off !

Yak From Yass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sorry guys but I still rate KK. I just think the there is too much pressure on him to constantly preform when those around him are not giving him options. Having said that, those around him are not being given options by the coach.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Kris Keating's strength is his support play and speed around the ruck not his playmaking. He hogs the ball too much to be an effective playmaker. The problem is that Hodkinson isn't really a try assist merchant either. The best at the club at setting up tries is Josh Reynolds. Either Hodkinson or Keating needs to be dropped with Reynolds starting. We need to get the best out of Josh Morris and that wont happen with a Hodkinson-Keating halves pairing.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Holdsworth was a lot better than Keating. I'll never forget in '09 when he practically did the halves job all on his own against a full strength Storm side after Roberts was ruled out early with an injury, while Kimmorley left the field injured in the first 10min.

I still believe Holdsworth's injury against the Broncos in 2006 in that Grand Final Qualifier cost us the game and consequently the Grand Final.

Keating's rubbish. He originally left the Eels due to hating their offer for a new contract, so he clearly didn't leave the club for any other reason than to be paid better.

Line Break

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're not the same

Holdsworth had a good first season

Keating only had a handful of good games - now he runs around like a headless rooster

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Holdsworth was a lot better than Keating. I'll never forget in '09 when he practically did the halves job all on his own against a full strength Storm side after Roberts was ruled out early with an injury, while Kimmorley left the field injured in the first 10min.

I still believe Holdsworth's injury against the Broncos in 2006 in that Grand Final Qualifier cost us the game and consequently the Grand Final.

Keating's rubbish. He originally left the Eels due to hating their offer for a new contract, so he clearly didn't leave the club for any other reason than to be paid better.
So he basically did what nearly every other footballer would've done?

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Sorry guys but I still rate KK. I just think the there is too much pressure on him to constantly preform when those around him are not giving him options. Having said that, those around him are not being given options by the coach.
I agree with this, i dont think he is anywhere near as bad as everyone is banging on!!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It's not really that hard to pass the ball to the the backline. Pressure has nothing to do with it.

Pa-28

Bring back the BIFF!!!
Reaction score
Hodkinson is the one who has so many similarities to Holdsworth. Both incredibly slow, boring, uncreative, no chance of breaking a tackle, no idea how to control a game, and both are very good defenders. Good to see DJ killing it in the ESL but, he has found his level.

C

chipandchase

Hodkinson is the one who has so many similarities to Holdsworth. Both incredibly slow, boring, uncreative, no chance of breaking a tackle, no idea how to control a game, and both are very good defenders. Good to see DJ killing it in the ESL but, he has found his level.
spot on dude

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is that every time we get the ball in attack is that every one seems to be standing still or running sideways, im not sure if this is the halves,outside backs or coaches fault, whatever happened to hitting the ball at pace.

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terry Lamb and Wally Lewis wouldn't be able to do much behind our under performing pack.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed.

You look at all the decent halves of the past + present, they all have speed.

Johns, Langer, Thurston, Walsh, Mullen, Cherry-Evans, McCrone, Campese.

They all have pace. Sherwin wasn't quick but he was very creative and made up for it that way.

Hodkinson is slow and uncreative and considering the money his on, you have to question how long the club persist with him.

Sezar is a great talent and Im not sure if him going to the Titans is true or not but he is definately a future star. If we let him go, id be pretty disappointed at our management.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think he is out of position and looks more like a hooker?

Status
Not open for further replies.