Koloamatangi grew up a Dogs fan / favourite player was Josh Reynolds

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should bring him back to the fold

'I'll try to run over him': Keaon keen for clash with childhood hero Reynolds
AuthorBrad WalterNRL Senior ReporterTimestampWed 5 Apr 2023, 06:01 AM
Brad Walter

If Keaon Koloamatangi runs at Josh Reynolds in the annual Good Friday clash between the Rabbitohs and Bulldogs, it will be as a sign of respect.
"I always loved how he played," Koloamatangi said. "I loved his passion."
The South Sydney forward grew up supporting Canterbury and Reynolds, who last Sunday made his first appearance for the Bulldogs in six years, was his favourite player.

As a teenager, Koloamatangi would regularly attend Bulldogs games and he was in the crowd when the 2015 Easter Friday clash erupted after James Graham was penalised for a tackle as Adam Reynolds attempted a field goal.
Koloamatangi gets the scoring underway

“I think it was raining that day and I was sitting in the nose-bleed seats – the cheapest tickets you could buy – but I had been before that too,” Koloamatangi said.
“I grew up five minutes from Belmore, so I used to go for them back then and I think it is always good seeing them doing well.
“I have been to heaps of Good Friday games when I was younger and, obviously, Josh was the No.6 for the Bulldogs.
2015 Rd 5: Good Friday Bulldogs v Rabbitohs (Hls)

2015 Rd 5: Good Friday Bulldogs v Rabbitohs (Hls)
"His nickname is ‘Grub’, but I just used to think he plays with a lot of passion. I did support them back then, but not now.”
However, the Tongan international admitted he had watched Canterbury’s gutsy golden point defeat of the Cowboys last Sunday night, which was Reynolds first match in Bulldogs colours since 2017 after stints at Wests Tigers and Hull KR.
He was thrown a lifeline this season by new Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo and starred in his first NRL game for the club last Sunday night as the Bulldogs snatched a 15-14 golden point win against the Cowboys.
“I actually caught the end of the game, it was exciting and I was rooting for them," Koloamatangi said.
Match Highlights: Bulldogs v Cowboys

"I grew up in the area when I was younger so I have a soft spot for the Bulldogs. It is always good to see them do well because they have a massive fan base, similar to Souths.

"They are vocal and it was good to see, especially for Josh Reynolds coming back. In his first game, you couldn't really write a better script."
Reynolds’ return sees drums beating in Belmore again
RELATEDBULLDOGS
Reynolds’ return sees drums beating in Belmore again

In his 70 NRL appearances so far, Koloamatangi has not yet come up against Reynolds but he will finally cross paths with his childhood hero at Accor Stadium on Good Friday.
Asked how he would respond when they come face to face, Koloamatangi said: "I'll have to try to run over the top of him if I get a chance".
While Reynolds was his hero growing up, team-mate Latrell Mitchell is a player he looks up to now and Koloamatangi said Souths team-mates were determined to ensure the superstar fullback celebrates his 150th NRL match with a win.
Latrell goes beast mode

Latrell goes beast mode

Latrell goes beast mode
“When he first came here, I was in awe of him because he is a year older than me, but he has been around for a while," Koloamatangi said.
“He is probably one of the most exciting players I have ever played with. Every time he plays, I get a bit more confidence in myself. He is a superstar of the game and people love him or hate him, but he is a big game player.
“He is probably the most damaging player in the NRL, including forwards too. I wouldn’t want him running at me, he has great footwork and is as strong as a forward so the more touches he has of the ball the better it is for us."

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully, Gus can convince him to come here. He’s got 2 years left on his deal.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Keaon plays frontrow as well. Contract finishes 2024 :grinning:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was a Josh Reynolds fan as well Matangi, back in 2015 and still to this day in 2023 :grinning:

great read anyway!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

I woncer if all these stories and if Josh continues to bring energy to the club, he will be entertained as a top 30 signing for 24?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's better value / more consistent than TPJ whose off contract after 2024 like this bloke.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s definitely still a but can’t say it while playing for another team

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This guy can play wrecking machine and loves the club.
Playa swap.

Rabbitohs could use TPJ. We could use this dawgcash + .

Can make it generous so as to entice the Rabbitohs, like we take on Ks contract and throw up 100 extra

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope Gus is aware. Can someone with Twitter (that he hasn't banned) please msg him ?