Knights should go for Foran- Johns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why Knights should take ‘high risk’ Kieran Foran gamble, according to Matty Johns

KIERAN Foran’s season has once again been cut short by injury, but Newcastle legend Matty Johns because the Knights could do worse than give Canterbury a phone call about the playmaker’s contract.

On Monday, the Bulldogs revealed the former New Zealand international would be sidelined for the remainder of 2018 due to a toe injury which he needed surgery for.

It’s been well documented the club’s salary cap is a mess due to the decisions of previous management and they’ve been trying to free up space by offloading Moses Mbye and Aaron Woods.

Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill has also publicly shutdown rumours the club are looking to medically retire Foran who is on a reported $1.1 million per season.

But despite his hefty pay packet, Johns reckons it’s still worth the Knights asking the question.

“If I was the Newcastle Knights, I’d be making subtle inquiries to the Bulldogs,” Johns told The Late Show with Matty Johns.

“At the right price, I’d team him up with Mitchell Pearce — they’re best mates.

“It’d be a fair spine if he gets back to toward best: Foran, Pearce and Kalyn Ponga.

“What’s the right price … it depends how much trouble the Bulldogs are in (salary cap wise).

“If you’re the Knights, for $500,000 would you take a punt and have a subtle inquiry?

“It’s high risk, but if it pays off, big dividends.”

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paying Kieran foran $1.1m, as bad as that is, is better than having no Kieran foran and paying him $600k per season for 3 seasons to play somewhere else. Medically retiring him is the best option for the Dogs. No club will go anywhere near him for more than 50% of his current salary.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This isn’t a charity. We’re not giving away players.

Sick of these clubs circling over our carcass.

You want players? You pay the bulk of the wages. End of discussion. We are clear of salary cap constraints due to mbye and woods. This is not a fire sale.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paying Kieran foran $1.1m, as bad as that is, is better than having no Kieran foran and paying him $600k per season for 3 seasons to play somewhere else. Medically retiring him is the best option for the Dogs. No club will go anywhere near him for more than 50% of his current salary.
But there’s also the chance we’ll be paying 1.1 million and he’s out injured most of the time. It would be better to free up 600k than have him out injured. But yeah, medical retirement would be the best option. Frees up his whole contract from the cap.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Foran is signed until the end of 2020. Not 2021. So we would effectively be paying another club for 2 years.... IF he isnt medically retired. I would do it.

The club is aware we wont be well cap wise until 2021 (when the only player we will paying to play against us is a small amount for woods).

Release Foran. Gamble on a young gun or two for two seasons

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a bit of a fluff story. Just a media personality throwing up an idea. No statements from the knights at all

No one would take Foran for more than $250k based on what he has done this year.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
500k for a 1.1mil player, Johns is on drugs again. If our club did that and we paid 600k per year for Foran to be somewhere else I would lose my shite!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish I could invest money on the Kennel.
Foran's actual contract has gone to $1 million now $1.1 millon in two months.
He will be on $1.6 million by the start of next season.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a bit of a fluff story. Just a media personality throwing up an idea. No statements from the knights at all

No one would take Foran for more than $250k based on what he has done this year.
Exactly, I think Johns said almost the same thing word for word about James Graham last year.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I've never been so grateful for Matty Johns' idiocy. What a terrible move this would be.....do it Knights.....lol

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My prediction is this...

There's no way a decision will be made before February - March next year after attempting pre- season training. He won't be able to continue with this NEW injury but needs to demonstrate this and show he can't continue.

The NRL can't force him to play on or even prove he is capable.
If needed the players association will step in and do what's in Foran's best interest and support his retirement.

Foran has played his last game imo.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can only hope for our sakes Foran gives it away and we medically retire him. I wish there was some way we could exact some sort of recompense from previous management for their decisions. A child would have made better decisions than these village idiots. I cant believe they can simply walk away with no consequence.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Foran's form has certaintly been down to start the year, but I hope now that he has a very long off season, he gets his body right, comes back in 2019 and earns his pay cheque. With a young inexperienced side that's struggling to score points, a fit and in form Foran would make a world of difference.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can only hope for our sakes Foran gives it away and we medically retire him. I wish there was some way we could exact some sort of recompense from previous management for their decisions. A child would have made better decisions than these village idiots. I cant believe they can simply walk away with no consequence.
And Dib (and his main backer Dr G) on the NSWRL Board as well. Dr G should resign from the Leagues Club in light of the disgraceful state the Football Club has been left in that he actively sponsored IMO.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foran's form has certaintly been down to start the year, but I hope now that he has a very long off season, he gets his body right, comes back in 2019 and earns his pay cheque. With a young inexperienced side that's struggling to score points, a fit and in form Foran would make a world of difference.
That's not gonna happen. Foran's body will never recover to play the type of football like he did at Manly. He is busted and living off reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.