Status
Not open for further replies.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
June 29, 2006

NSW prop Willie Mason predicts Queensland will find it hard to repeat their inspired Origin II performance in next Wednesday's series decider at Telstra Dome.

As NSW and Queensland each battled illness and injury on their second day in camp in Melbourne, Bulldogs giant Mason said it would be "amazing" if the Maroons replicated their criticism-inspired 30-6 win in game two at Suncorp Stadium on June 14.

But Maroons coach Mal Meninga responded by revealing he would call in Maroon royalty such as Wally Lewis, Allan Langer, Gorden Tallis and John Ribot to fire his troops up.

Mason said at Telstra Dome: "It's pretty hard to do the same thing twice. If they can come out with that sort of intensity and passion again, that will be unbelievable.

"It's pretty hard to match that sort of intensity they came out with for the whole 80 minutes.

"We are still pretty confident we can win. We just have to play a bit smarter. Just don't play dumb."

Meninga said he could understand Mason's point. "It is a challenge and a big task to come up with the same level of intensity and enthusiasm again. But, like NSW, we think we can improve, we think we can execute a bit better."

After Maroons players cited pre-match addresses from Paul Vautin and Mark Coyne as major reasons behind their 30-6 win at Suncorp Stadium on June 14, Meninga hinted Langer and Tallis would be presenting caps on match eve next week.

"I've got a few tricks up my sleeve," he said when asked about Lewis. "Gordie's in town, Alfie's in town, John Ribot is around. If they are here, we would be happy to have them come down and help out."

Mason also seemed to support the changes to the Blues side, including the axing of halves Braith Anasta and Brett Finch, when he said: "With Gowy (Craig Gower) and Benny Hornby, Bedsy (Danny Buderus), we're going to have a bit more confidence in our playmakers."

He revealed the Blues had formulated a plan to keep pressure off him in Origin II, but they couldn't adhere to it.

"We knew they were going to come out and pretty much attack me and that I was going to get smashed," Mason said.

"We had a bit of a game plan to stop that but we just didn't do it. We've been training pretty hard the last couple of days to combat that onslaught so it doesn't happen.

"It involves heaps of people, all 17 of us, not just me.

"As soon as we walked off that field, everyone was filthy on themselves. We can't wait for game three. We've got a chance to go out there and put a bit more pride in the NSW jersey.

"If you play one-out, four blokes are going to smash you. It doesn't matter who you are. You're still going to get smashed. We just have to play a bit smarter and support each other."

Meninga believes the NSW pack is better for Origin III.

"They're going to be a more motivated pack, so they're a bit more dangerous as well because of the embarrassment of what happened to them in game two," Meninga said.

"They're going to be pretty well fired up."

But Murray countered: "I was happy with our forwards last time, as I was in round one. No, I don't think we're any better or any stronger. We've picked pretty good players, players who are in form."

telegraph.com

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I miss my big Willie.

I also miss Willie Mason. :p

RMGs

[RkO]
Reaction score
NIK E said:
I miss my big Willie.

I also miss Willie Mason. :p
awwww it got smaller?
thats wat happens when u use enlargers!!! :p

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
RMGs said:
awwww it got smaller?
thats wat happens when u use enlargers!!! :p
Who told you?!

It was SUPPOSE to be a secret! :p

Anyway, I think William Mason will have a cracker of a game in SOO III. It honestly wouldnt surprise me if he got MOTM.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dont get injured willie LOL... SOO has not been the same for me ever since the late 90s

Dog-E

Purebreed
Reaction score
Geez, baiting the Qld forwards like that doesn't seem like the best idea Willie's ever had!

LOL...This makes for one CRACKER of a decider though! Bring on the fireworks!!!

Mason v Webb - mano-a-mano - toe-2-toe - slugging it out....Who WOULDN'T want to see that?? :D

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i dont think qld will thrash nsw again, it will be a close match. in saying that everyone thought nsw would easily beat qld in game 2 so anything can happen.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
Webb is a rat. He has nothing over Mason. Mason will trample all over the QLD forwards, as long as it isn't rigged again...

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
bring it on,,
fire up and smash em willie,,

please,
being a blues supporter living in qld,
you never hear the end of it when qld win,
80-0
bring it on

T

TdoggBulldog

coastaldog said:
bring it on,,
fire up and smash em willie,,

please,
being a blues supporter living in qld,
you never hear the end of it when qld win,
80-0
bring it on
yes.... i will get MURDERED if qld win...

well murdered by text and taunts tbh.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dog-E said:
Geez, baiting the Qld forwards like that doesn't seem like the best idea Willie's ever had!

LOL...This makes for one CRACKER of a decider though! Bring on the fireworks!!!

Mason v Webb - mano-a-mano - toe-2-toe - slugging it out....Who WOULDN'T want to see that?? :D
I'm sorry. Mason verse who?

Webb wishes he was half as good as Mason.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol 5minute Webb firing up against Mason? Even as a Qld supporter id like to see that, Webb being laid onto the ground three minutes in and having trouble getting up by himself:p

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it just me, or does big willie sound more level headed and intelligent everytime he does a media interview these days????? he is really starting to be respected, and hopefully isnt thought of as the lumbering thug of yesterday.

awwww our willie is finally growing........ .up!...i meant up :uptight:

hope he rips into them!!!:canniball

im pumped!

Status
Not open for further replies.