Opinion King & Knight are an upgrade on TPJ & Thompson

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whilst our middles have queries going into 2024, we should be excited by our back row contingent of Kikau, Preston and Curran, these three blokes in the red zone are going to wreak havoc - it’s just getting to the red zone that worries me with no go forward.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rewind back to Seasons end 2022 and just remember how much we were all praising the efforts of Max King.
We also praised the efforts of Gus to pluck him from obscurity and watch him turn into one of our favourite players.

Come 2023, the poor bloke played virtually the entire season busted and now we have clowns who want to throw the slipper in.

Do I believe he needs help in the front row???? My oath he does, but I won't be writing this bloke off, no way.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Rewind back to Seasons end 2022 and just remember how much we were all praising the efforts of Max King.
We also praised the efforts of Gus to pluck him from obscurity and watch him turn into one of our favourite players.

Come 2023, the poor bloke played virtually the entire season busted and now we have clowns who want to throw the slipper in.

Do I believe he needs help in the front row???? My oath he does, but I won't be writing this bloke off, no way.
Exactly.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like it or not TPJ was our best foward and exclusively the only capable of denting the line. We lineup worse without him it’s laughable yet the honest truth.

A fully recovered King is an asset for us, alone however he won’t make it past the halfway point of next season. Knight is mediocre the whole heart thing is what’s kept us down at the bottom for so long end of the day it’s us vs rest of the league and he lines up in the bottom 4 as a starting prop. I rather two players who will respect the jersey and do there jobs over the other two pieces of junk though.

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Weird thinking that TPJ got picked for origin 1 last year. Wondering if not getting picked again made him dummy spit on league.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
King and Knight are 100% footballers. But they are only stand in props. They play prop out of necessity,
because there is no one better. I am hoping Patolo and Edwards make the necessary transition to be run on props.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
King and Knight are 100% footballers. But they are only stand in props. They play prop out of necessity,
because there is no one better. I am hoping Patolo and Edwards make the necessary transition to be run on props.
Edwards too small, he is a 13

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is no coincidence that King, Patolo, Knight, Hughes and Montgomery are all unsigned for 2025.

Add to that the rumour that Sutton was being shopped around (it is arguable he is even a front rower)

Whilst I expect we will see an announcement on King soon, the other big boys will be fighting it out for a 2025 contract.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We by far have the worst prop rotation in the comp. Possibly of the nrl era.
I’m a fan of Gus but losing Thompson and TPJ and not having replacements ready is nothing but failing to do his job.
I think Gus is hoping Matalavea-Booth will pay off but I’ve watched that kid for years. He’s a cat in a bigger body. Im hoping he has something planned otherwise another year of being outclassed and dominated in the middle

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It is no coincidence that King, Patolo, Knight, Hughes and Montgomery are all unsigned for 2025.

Add to that the rumour that Sutton was being shopped around (it is arguable he is even a front rower)

Whilst I expect we will see an announcement on King soon, the other big boys will be fighting it out for a 2025 contract.
Thats if King wants to stay he will probably shop himself around.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have hope for Edwards. I also like what I saw from Hopoi, but he may be a way off.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Spot on mate.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TPJ runs over 100m every game and was out best prop by a far margin last year. 2022 King is a quality bench prop. Knight is depth at best at most clubs. Thommo was NSW cup quality. Our middle rotation even with King in 2022 form is still the worst in the NRL. Not sure how we compete with those middles

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is money ball at its best.

Two massive duds on overs replaced by guys on a fraction of the money with more heart, intensity and commitment. They are both big units with ticker who have overcome injury adversity to play first grade.
Knight and King in the middle last year got owned. How do you take TPJ out and not replace and get better. I don’t see the logic. Thommo you could replace with a witches hat but TPJ was our only player capable of making metres in the middle