Kicking into refs now carries more risk than reward

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Players attempting to earn a repeat set by deliberately kicking the ball into the referee - rather than the in-goal - have been warned they risk conceding a penalty for misconduct.

In one of the pivotal moments in last Saturday night's epic win over Manly, Canterbury playmaker Josh Reynolds earned his side a scrum feed when he kicked the ball into whistleblower Gerard Sutton. Whether the ploy was accidental or deliberate has been debated ever since. Bill Harrigan and Greg McCallum - both referees and then referees' bosses - raised concerns that savvy kickers could look to exploit the rule. The Bulldogs took full advantage, with NSW halfback Trent Hodkinson nailing the first of his two field goals after his side retained possession.

While some commentators have called for the rule to be scrapped - Phil Gould labelled it "anachronistic" and in need of an off-season overhaul - referee's boss Tony Archer said players risked being penalised for deliberately kicking or passing into the pink shirts this weekend.

Archer said there was no need to change the rule as there was already provision under the existing laws to issue a penalty.

"If the referee is of the opinion that a player deliberately passes or kicks the ball at an official and it hits him he can be penalised for [player] misconduct, " Archer said.

"We have reminded the referees of this section of the rules and they will apply them if necessary."

The fact that Canterbury players, particularly Josh Morris, were so quick to remind the referees of the rule interpretation only adds to the theory the ploy was deliberate. After the match, Reynolds revealed he had spoken to skipper Michael Ennis about it in the lead up to the Sea Eagles match.

"He said what a great play it is. So yeah, I'll claim it," Reynolds said. "[Cummins] put his hand up the other way. And I said no way, man, I know the rule."

However, Archer's warning means there will be significant risk for any reward should a repeat be attempted.

The referees have been under intense scrutiny during a tight finals series, but most acknowledge they have got the big calls - such as the no-try ruling against the Cowboys for a knock on - correct. Even Canterbury coach Des Hasler praised the work of the easiest targets in the game.

"Obviously everyone's been talking about the large momentum shifts, whether they're generated through officialdom or whether they're generated through sides' own errors," Hasler said.

"But the nature of the finals series so far, the referees have stayed right out of it. I think the referees have done a really good job so far in the finals."

Source

haytchcbb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
****en hell cant they just get the **** over it

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
*risk

They wouldn't have the balls to blow a penalty if it happened.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
This rule has been around forever and this is the first time I can remember it being used. All this hoo-ha has come about simply because we benefitted from it. What is the alternative? Then we get a situation where the attacking team is disadvantaged and loses the ball. How is that fair?
Some rules aren't perfect but they happen so rarely it's not worth the fuss.

As for Phil Gould let's see what he's been complaining about this series
Melbourne being disallowed a try for a knock on
Manly player getting sin binned for punching
Saying Bulldogs player has to go to bin because "woosh ka" he threw a punch
An age old rule was called into effect for the first time in ever
Bulldogs getting 7 tackles after Manly miss field goal.

Seems to be a common gripe with a common team

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why can't Grub keep those sneaky tactics to himself?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It should just be a replay of the play the ball if it hits an official. Basically take it back to the original play the ball spot, and do it again. Nobody loses. And its not complicated.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lol @ the nrl, most unprofessional "sport" in the world.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
he didnt do it on purpose, if you tried to kick it into the ref you would miss more times than hit

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet another knee jerk reaction by the NRL. As one of my fellow Kennelers mentioned previously the rule has been in since the dawn of the game.

Perhaps if the ref was actually watching the play he may have got out of the way of the ball? I've seen referees jump out of the way of the footy on past occasions.

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
It should just be a replay of the play the ball if it hits an official. Basically take it back to the original play the ball spot, and do it again. Nobody loses. And its not complicated.
I'd disagree man, if a teams on a break, kicks it and the ref just happens to get in the way, this would disadvantage them as they lose all momentum and all the hard work they went through to make the break. Defenders would be cheering

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They changed the rules in 2012 because of us as well. If we go well every year in the finals do you think the NRL will turn into a completely different sport? lol

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why don't they just give the attacking team the play the ball from the same spot and it's the same tackle it was when they kicked it?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bring back Gallop. Dave Smith is turning the game to shit.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Players attempting to earn a repeat set by deliberately kicking the ball into the referee - rather than the in-goal - have been warned they risk conceding a penalty for misconduct.

In one of the pivotal moments in last Saturday night's epic win over Manly, Canterbury playmaker Josh Reynolds earned his side a scrum feed when he kicked the ball into whistleblower Gerard Sutton. Whether the ploy was accidental or deliberate has been debated ever since. Bill Harrigan and Greg McCallum - both referees and then referees' bosses - raised concerns that savvy kickers could look to exploit the rule. The Bulldogs took full advantage, with NSW halfback Trent Hodkinson nailing the first of his two field goals after his side retained possession.

While some commentators have called for the rule to be scrapped - Phil Gould labelled it "anachronistic" and in need of an off-season overhaul - referee's boss Tony Archer said players risked being penalised for deliberately kicking or passing into the pink shirts this weekend.

Archer said there was no need to change the rule as there was already provision under the existing laws to issue a penalty.

"If the referee is of the opinion that a player deliberately passes or kicks the ball at an official and it hits him he can be penalised for [player] misconduct, " Archer said.

"We have reminded the referees of this section of the rules and they will apply them if necessary."

The fact that Canterbury players, particularly Josh Morris, were so quick to remind the referees of the rule interpretation only adds to the theory the ploy was deliberate. After the match, Reynolds revealed he had spoken to skipper Michael Ennis about it in the lead up to the Sea Eagles match.

"He said what a great play it is. So yeah, I'll claim it," Reynolds said. "[Cummins] put his hand up the other way. And I said no way, man, I know the rule."

However, Archer's warning means there will be significant risk for any reward should a repeat be attempted.

The referees have been under intense scrutiny during a tight finals series, but most acknowledge they have got the big calls - such as the no-try ruling against the Cowboys for a knock on - correct. Even Canterbury coach Des Hasler praised the work of the easiest targets in the game.

"Obviously everyone's been talking about the large momentum shifts, whether they're generated through officialdom or whether they're generated through sides' own errors," Hasler said.

"But the nature of the finals series so far, the referees have stayed right out of it. I think the referees have done a really good job so far in the fina
Source
Greg McCallum has the shits coz he thought the Dogs players were refereeing the game

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought this happened to us las year also, but we were in our half and the other side fed the scrum on our 30/40m line??
A Pass from memory????

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Forget the Ref, kick into the goal post pads, how big are they these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.