Kewell to play in Champions League Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Promiscuous

Champions League Final: Kewell in contention
sportal.com.au

The door has been opened for Harry Kewell to make a remarkable comeback in the Champions League final due to an unlucky training ground injury to Bolo Zenden.

The Dutch midfielder is on crutches after sustaining the injury at Liverpool's La Manga training camp on Friday in Spain, ahead of next Wednesday's Champions League final against AC Milan in Athens.

Zenden - out of contract this summer - played in both legs of the semi-final against Chelsea, and was ahead of Kewell in the race for the left-wing spot.

Kewell has only just returned to action after a year out recovering from groin operations and boss Rafael Benitez - although happy with the Australian's progress - was sceptical that he would have enough match fitness under his belt to play the whole 90 minutes of the final.

But with Zenden's injury, the Spanish coach may have to seriously consider Kewell, or move full-back John Arne Riise into a midfield role with Alvaro Arbeloa coming in at left-back.

Chile winger Mark Gonzalez, talking this week about the prospect of leaving the club in the summer after a disappointing season, could also find himself in contention for the left-wing role.

Liverpool fly back from Spain on Saturday afternoon, and Benitez will give Zenden every chance to prove his fitness.

Benitez says: "Bolo has injured his ankle. He's been treated by the doctor and the good news is the swelling is not that bad. We will need to see how it is after more checks."

"It will be difficult to say he will be fit for the final now, but I won't say no yet. He is strong and determined and it may recover quickly. I still hope he will be okay."

"It will be a big disappointment for him and for us if it's not possible. Bolo can bring character, experience and tactical knowledge to the team."

"He is one of the good options for the left side, but now we must see how he recovers and decide what to do."

Benitez has confirmed that goalkeeper Jose Reina is, as expected, fit for the final.

Reina picked up a shoulder injury at Fulham, and was left out of the final home league game against Charlton as a precaution.

But the Spanish star has trained normally all week in La Manga to dispel any fears that he would struggle to face Milan. Benitez also has No.2 keeper Jerzy Dudek back from a groin injury.

Benitez must also decide whether Pennant plays on the right, but he has no intention of giving any indication on that position because it would instantly confirm that Steven Gerrard will play in his favoured central midfield role.

Benitez only has Luis Garcia and Fabio Aurelio on the long-term injured list, although Mohamed Sissoko's chances of playing have been handicapped by injury.
Source: Sportal.com.au

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
riise might play left side midfield... or bellamy might get a switch to play left side midfield

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd love to see harry get a run, but i remember what happened last time, i just think it's to much of a risk

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
the liverpool fans on koptalk are suggesting that kewell should come off the bench as an impact player and would rather have either bellamy or riise on the left sided midfield and play crouch up front as a lone striker

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harry's best chance is off the bench! Which I hope to see him come on at about the hour mark and carve them up!

Riise will get the nod on the left side to start!

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
kewell should be there for the full 90, but i feel sorry for players who have been playing on the left wing coz he's just going to stroll into the final without any input prior to the lead up

grk_adonis

THIS IS ANFIELD!
Reaction score
at best kewell will come of the bench. He doesnt deserve the starting spot!

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was lucky to even make the Team in such a Match... He should consider himself lucky that Zenden got Injured & he was first in line to Replace Her

Status
Not open for further replies.