Kelly Egan walkout rocks Manly Sea Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
And another one...

MANLY assistant coach Kelly Egan has become the latest staff member to walk out of Brookvale.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Egan will leave after next season to join head coach Des Hasler at Canterbury Bulldogs. Hasler and offsider Egan guided the Manly Sea Eagles to this year's NRL premiership.

"I have really enjoyed my four years at Manly, working with the playing group," Egan said. "I am good mates with (2013 coach) Geoff Toovey and it was a really tough decision. It took me a week to make but, from a professional development point of view, I thought the move was best for me."

Manly is now decimated. Egan became the seventh staff member to either quit or be sacked since the grand final triumph. Hasler, Egan, recruitment guru Noel Cleal, development officer Dave Warwick and social media manager Jess Ivers are all going to Canterbury.

Manly chairman Scott Penn and under-siege COO David Perry were locked in meetings yesterday attempting to somehow stabilise the haemorrhaging club.

Egan's decision will mean Toovey will need to find a new assistant coach. Leagues club and football club chairman Bob Reilly wanted Steve Menzies and Cliff Lyons but Toovey is known to want assistant coaches with more coaching experience.

Cleal will join Canterbury in a few weeks. Manly's hopes of retaining him were damaged when a board member - who has never played NRL - emailed staff about the retention of players.

There were suggestions yesterday Manly would make Warwick a revised offer. Warwick's departure came when Manly was confident of retaining Cleal, who then left.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...manly-sea-eagles/story-e6frexnr-1226188034015

Jesus, what is going on? lol

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly Egan walkout rocks Manly Sea Eagles

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
November 08, 2011 12:00AM

MANLY assistant coach Kelly Egan has become the latest staff member to walk out of Brookvale.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Egan will leave after next season to join head coach Des Hasler at Canterbury Bulldogs. Hasler and offsider Egan guided the Manly Sea Eagles to this year's NRL premiership.

"I have really enjoyed my four years at Manly, working with the playing group," Egan said. "I am good mates with (2013 coach) Geoff Toovey and it was a really tough decision. It took me a week to make but, from a professional development point of view, I thought the move was best for me."

Manly is now decimated. Egan became the seventh staff member to either quit or be sacked since the grand final triumph. Hasler, Egan, recruitment guru Noel Cleal, development officer Dave Warwick and social media manager Jess Ivers are all going to Canterbury.

Manly chairman Scott Penn and under-siege COO David Perry were locked in meetings yesterday attempting to somehow stabilise the haemorrhaging club.

Egan's decision will mean Toovey will need to find a new assistant coach. Leagues club and football club chairman Bob Reilly wanted Steve Menzies and Cliff Lyons but Toovey is known to want assistant coaches with more coaching experience.

Cleal will join Canterbury in a few weeks. Manly's hopes of retaining him were damaged when a board member - who has never played NRL - emailed staff about the retention of players.

There were suggestions yesterday Manly would make Warwick a revised offer. Warwick's departure came when Manly was confident of retaining Cleal, who then left.

One remaining staff member yesterday said morale was rock-bottom at the club.

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five and counting. C'mon Manly bite the bullet and sent Des over now!

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we're absolutely decimating their ranks...

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So will he be dymocks assistant coach till des comes?

G

Gladiator.

Woah. WTF is going on at Manly? **** really has hit the fan, everyone seems to be wanting Des' head on their forum, but in all honesty, they should look at the underlying issue as to why everyone is jumping ship.

Spudowsky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So will he be dymocks assistant coach till des comes?
Egan isnt coming till 2013. So this means we'll have Dymock and Egan as assistants to Dessie. Do you need 2 assistant coaches?
I hope its not going to bite us in the arse come 2013 when we start having internal dramas coming from our coaching ranks.

x-factor

Y.N.W.A
Reaction score
You can't blame the dogs for what is happening at manly can you? All we did was sign des and try followed so why wouldn't you take what helped him be so successful? Any club would be stupid not to sign these guys if they wanted to come to their club

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we actively after these people (Cleal, Egan etc), or are they leaving because they want to be with Hasler ??

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** whats going on there? and the good thing is they are all coming to us hahaha... If more members from manly keep on coming dont be surprised to see hasler with us next year, man this is so funny

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are certainly keeping footy in the news in the off season!
Would dislike seeing my club DESimated in this fashion !!!
Gotta have a bit of thought for their fans ...

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't imagin how the players are reacting to this... we are gutting them dry.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Compared to last years off season news which consisted of 31 articles about Hodkinson and Keating playing juniors together, this is very fun to watch.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compared to last years off season news which consisted of 31 articles about Hodkinson and Keating playing juniors together, this is very fun to watch.
Hodkinson and Keating played juniors together? :p

The more people that leave Manly, the less I think Des will join in 2012. Can't see them throwing a whole new coaching staff team in the deep end unless they're willing to sacrifice next season.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Imo if Des is going to be here in 2012, it will happen relatively soon.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
This isnt the Bulldogs work, this is all Des. Coaches these days when they jump ship, they take their staff with them esp if they are the top of the crop. Wayne Bennett did the same thing when he went from Brisbane to the Saints.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Manly fans are still insisting they'll be up in finals contention next year.

Personally I'm starting to think this might be terminal for the club. With only so much a slub can take, and fans not being told a thing, something is definitely not right and bigger.

I wouldn't be suprised if this drives a nail into the coffin of Manly. Forget grants for Brookvale, the club is going the way of the titanic it seems, and I'd say it hit the iceberg before Des left.

Any player with a get out clause will use it now, because they will be concerned about the life of the club I reckon. When the first player jumps ship, you know the problems are near terminal.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
We had the coffs harbour BS and still won the GF. I wouldnt put it past them yet. This could galvanise the team or kill them off. We shall find out early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.