Kato Ottio dead at 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
THE NRL community is mourning the death of former Canberra Raiders winger Kato Ottio.

News the Papua New Guinea international had died began filtering out on social media early Tuesday before his Super League club - Widnes Vikings - confirmed his death.

Vikings CEO James Rule said Ottio’s death had shocked the club.

“We are devastated to learn that Kato Ottio has passed away this afternoon. Kato was an incredibly talented player, with a bright future ahead of him in rugby league,” Rule said in a statement.

Kato Ottio died after sudden health complications discovered during training. Picture: Brett CostelloSource:News Corp Australia

“This news is all the more tragic, because Kato was due to travel to the UK this week to fulfil his dream of playing first-grade rugby league. We had been in regular contact with Kato and were excited to welcome a bright, excited and passionate young man, who had genuine potential for the future.

“Having only learned this morning that Kato had developed a sudden health issue whilst training yesterday, we are in absolute shock to now receive this tragic news.

“We will be liaising closely with his loved ones to offer them our condolences and support at this difficult time. Widnes Vikings will of course be looking to celebrate Kato’s life and pay our sincere respects to someone who we believe would have become a hero at our club.”

Vikings head coach said Denis Betts said Ottio had been primed to join his new club after a successful Rugby League World Cup campaign in November.

“To receive this tragic news is heart-breaking. All of us saw at the World Cup the incredible gifts that Kato had, and his potential to forge a great career in rugby league,” Betts said.

Sadly missed: Former Canberra Raiders star Kato Ottio. Picture: Brett CostelloSource:News Corp Australia

“Moreover, in all of our interactions with him, we found Kato to be a person of great character, who was excited to be following his dreams.

“On behalf of the coaching team, staff and players at Widnes Vikings, I would like to offer our sincere condolences to Kato’s loved ones.”

Although he never got to make his NRL debut for the Raiders, Ottio was a prolific try scorer for Canberra’s feeder side Mounties in the NSW Cup.

Raiders teammates this morning took to social media to pay tribute to Ottio.

Raiders forward Elliott Whitehead said Ottio would be sorely missed.

“Such sad news this morning hearing about Kato passing away,” Elliott said on Instagram.

“One guy who has always had a smile on his face. Loved my time with him at Raiders. RIP mate, gone way to soon.”

Blake Austin echoed the sentiments of his teammates.

Shattered to hear the news about Katsy. Wasn’t a day he wasn’t smiling, gone way too soon. Prayers with all his family,” Austin posted to his Instagram account.

Ottio left the Raiders at the end of the 2017 season to take up a Super League contract with Widnes Vikings.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Sad news. Only a kid too. RIP :(

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
This is incredibly sad, what a waste of a young life. I wonder wtf happened to die so young? He looked so damn healthy.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Holy shit. This is tragic news!! Im a little stunned tbh. Condolences to his family and friends.
Does anyone know what happened??

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Holy shit. This is tragic news!! Im a little stunned tbh. Condolences to his family and friends.
Does anyone know what happened??
There is a little murmur of serious heat stroke. Will be revealed eventually.

RIP

Edit - posted on Reddit that he may have been hit in training and had internal bleeding.

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

RIP
That's the thought that came to my mind. If this is the case, then surely the NRL and all sports for that matter need to reevaluate training limitations when it comes to extreme weather. It is not acceptable should this be the case. FFS we were the hottest state on the planet on Sunday and almost certainly yesterday.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

RIP

Edit - posted on Reddit that he may have been hit in training and had internal bleeding.

Fuck me. Either of those would be so hard to take for the family, totally random freak occurrences.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mole reporting that he was in PNG training with locals doing an 8km run, some of them walked or got a ride back, he encouraged others to run back with him trying to be a leader.

He slowed, collapsed, unconscious and fell into a coma and that was it.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That's the thought that came to my mind. If this is the case, then surely the NRL and all sports for that matter need to reevaluate training limitations when it comes to extreme weather. It is not acceptable should this be the case. FFS we were the hottest state on the planet on Sunday and almost certainly yesterday.
He was in PNG. When is it ever cold there?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds more like a massive heart attack from what they described. Either that or a huge stroke.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He was in PNG. When is it ever cold there?
Yeah you're right. I honestly thought it happened in ACT. Tragic story. Poor guy was on the cusp of stardom in England with a new contract which would've meant alot for his humble family in PNG. Money means nothing! RIP

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mole reporting that he was in PNG training with locals doing an 8km run, some of them walked or got a ride back, he encouraged others to run back with him trying to be a leader.

He slowed, collapsed, unconscious and fell into a coma and that was it.
Fuck me. Thats crazy. So sad.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah you're right. I honestly thought it happened in ACT. Tragic story. Poor guy was on the cusp of stardom in England with a new contract which would've meant alot for his humble family in PNG. Money means nothing! RIP
I suspect it will be a while before we actually find out what really happened. I doubt that a PNGer would drop from the heat at his age. Something else is going on and assuming they do an autopsy we will find out otherwise we may never know. Not sure what their rules are around things like this.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
They have said internal bleeding was the result, but what exactly caused this. It could've been heat exhaustion. I mean they did an 8km run. That was meant to be it, then he chose to run back - that's another 8km which automatically doubled his already tense training session. Top the unforgiving PNG heat on top of that at this time of the year - unfortunately it all adds up :(

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They have said internal bleeding was the result, but what exactly caused this. It could've been heat exhaustion. I mean they did an 8km run. That was meant to be it, then he chose to run back - that's another 8km which automatically doubled his already tense training session. Top the unforgiving PNG heat on top of that at this time of the year - unfortunately it all adds up :(
If it was just 16km that’s not far at all. Could be underlying medical condition that was yet to be diagnosed

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was just 16km that’s not far at all. Could be underlying medical condition that was yet to be diagnosed
Must be underlying condition.
I ran 25 km through crazy steep hills on Sunday no problems at all- though I didn’t know it was going to be that hot.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pacific Islands have a huge problem with diabetes due to their diets. Possibly underlying condition but you'd have thought club doctor would pick up on it.

Hypoglycemic attacks can kill.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I feel for him and more his family.

Rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.