Opinion Karl Oloapu

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton not playing origin, Turbo and Latrell at centre. Luai at 6, Wighton/Hynes at 14
This is more than likely the case. I could see him as the utility spot on the bench with Jack Wighton moving into the forwards from
Centre to bring him into the game.

Burton could cover nearly all positions 1-7 at a pinch.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think we should rush Karl. I believe he's insurance for Burton if Burton doesn't kick on. I can't see Karl playing halfback, he's too big and fits the 5/8th or ball playing lock.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think we should rush Karl. I believe he's insurance for Burton if Burton doesn't kick on. I can't see Karl playing halfback, he's too big and fits the 5/8th or ball playing lock.
there is no such thing as being to big for 7, if he keeps his agility it makes no difference. Every generation is getting bigger

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We just re signed Burton for another 4 years and made him captain.

Oloapu was not signed as cover for Burton.
Yes but he's still insurance for Burton. 4 years from now if Burton decides to leave for more money or for whatever reason, we will have another talented 5/8th ready to wear the six jersey.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes but he's still insurance for Burton. 4 years from now if Burton decides to leave for more money or for whatever reason, we will have another talented 5/8th ready to wear the six jersey.
Karl ain’t waiting 4 years for a crack at first grade. He will play halfback. Most likely this year aswell

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes still going through the lower grades. Eligible for SG. I dont expect to see him for a while. Happy not to. Development.

Dogs Rule

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is more than likely the case. I could see him as the utility spot on the bench with Jack Wighton moving into the forwards from
Centre to bring him into the game.

Burton could cover nearly all positions 1-7 at a pinch.
No way. A smart man would have Hynes in the 14. Such a talent and can literally cover most positions. The storm let a gem go for once. Shame the dogs didn't go all out for him.

Dogs Rule

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Could be insurance to put Burton back to centre... If he fails as a 5/8 (not saying he will but never know).

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No way. A smart man would have Hynes in the 14. Such a talent and can literally cover most positions. The storm let a gem go for once. Shame the dogs didn't go all out for him.
Interesting tactics they had early on, Dogs v Sharks kicking for side-line repeatedly, Hynes sticking to the plan. Either Hynes or Fitzgibbon tactics. Seemed to have worked.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If Sam walker can debut at 18 and 70 kilos wet I believe Karl can debut and learn from this season
If you're good enough you're old enough

Reactions: mez

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Sam walker can debut at 18 and 70 kilos wet I believe Karl can debut and learn from this season
I agree with the "if your good enough you are old enough sentiment", however SW entered a team that was far more settled & established with a coaching staff that was as well.
The Dogs have been a rabble for years with 2023 being another "ground zero".
I live in hope KO kills it in lower grades and forces his way into the side, however I don't want him dropped into an underperforming side and expected to perform miracles to "save" our season because others (incl. Flanno &/or Burto) are not providing the directing/spark needed..

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He shouldn’t debut this year imo, let him cook in the lower grades. Rotate the 7s with injuries/form in Flanagan/Brown/BBO or one of the development players(definitely not preferred at all) since its there contract year and aren’t likely gonna be with us next year. Brown could stay