Just out of curiosity how many NSW player are in are Maroons squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It may have been a Residents Game only but the the simple and undeniable fact is Trent wore a Queensland representative jersey. Whether you choose to like it or not.

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many current origin players have played for a country other than Australia?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It may have been a Residents Game only but the the simple and undeniable fact is Trent wore a Queensland representative jersey. Whether you choose to like it or not.
and Aidan Guerra wore a nsw jersey.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How many current origin players have played for a country other than Australia?
7 current players : Jarryd Hayne, Daniel Tupou, micheal jennings, James Tamou, Ben Te'o, Anthony Milford, Aidan Guerra

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not too bad.. i remember when Alex Elisala past away last year, Papali'i come out and said him and Milford would represent Samoa to honour their friend. That was until Mal Meninga called lol.. btw im a QLD supporter.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats not too bad.. i remember when Alex Elisala past away last year, Papali'i come out and said him and Milford would represent Samoa to honour their friend. That was until Mal Meninga called lol.. btw im a QLD supporter.
Money talks, I think if there was a heavier focus of international league allot of these players would stay loyal to their country but its to tempting to play origin

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Milford honoured that part of the deal but I don't think Papali did

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea Milford played last year, but Papali'i got picked for origin last year

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To my mind, there's four categories:

1) The simple case. Born one side of the border, raised that side of the border, plays for that state. Simple. The majority of players.

2) The cross-border move in childhood. Guys like Thaiday. While he may have been born in NSW, as a kid growing up and playing his first junior football north of the border, I think he's pretty legitimate to regard himself as a Queenslander (likewise Sterlo playing for NSW or Mat Rogers for Queensland). I'd even count childhood international movers here, like Willie Mason and Karmichael Hunt, who at least moved for family reasons and as a child, not as a professional athlete.

3) The more troubling case. Guys who are blatantly not Australian at all, but simply wish to play for whichever state a club first signed them in because Origin is more money and prestige than international football. Te'o, Papalii, Tamou etc.

4) Greg Inglis. A category all of his own. Born in NSW, raised in NSW, played first junior football in NSW. Lied about having played junior football in NSW, hence a Queenslander. A dishonest, wife-beating prick.

I actually feel sorry for Luke Keary. In trying to clamp down on the ever-worsening scam of roping in foreigners and cross-border raids, they seem to have stopped him playing for his state or birth! This seems quite amazing. I'd have thought actually tightening the rules to:
a) were you born in that state?
b) did you go to school (for a minimum of X years) in that state?
would be simple. If guys like Thaiday etc can answer yes to both states, then I'm happy for it to be an open choice of either for them. Tamou, Te'o etc would not be eligible under such a system.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only checked back to 2004:

Of 527 appearances each (31 games, 17 man squad per game):

Blues have had (by birth):
NSW: 473
Queensland: 0
Other Aus: 28 (Poore (WA) Tahu, Wallace (Vic), Dugan, Hoffman, Monaghan (ACT))
NZ: 18 (Mason, Tamou)
Other: 8 (Uate, McManus, El Masri)

Maroons have had (by birth):
Queensland: 379
NSW: 78 (Inglis, Thaiday, Gillett, Flannery, Folau, Crocker, Bowman)
Other Aus: 8 (Willie Tonga (ACT))
NZ: 29 (Papalii, Te'o, Hunt, Thorn, Carroll)
Other: 33 (Petero, Costigan, Kaufusi)

In the past 31 games, there have been 551 appearances by New South Welshman (including 78 by cross-border traitors) and only 379 by Queenslanders. That's a hell of a difference - almost 50% more.
Don't forget QLD had Adrian Lam too who was from PNG

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why people care. If you'd rather play for QLD I don't want you playing in the sky blue, fuçkin two-headed piece of shît !!

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget QLD had Adrian Lam too who was from PNG
I only looked back to 2004 (I had a reason to do this, other than a simple nerd-fest). Couldn't be bothered going further back.

steeliz21

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Aidan Guerra Played for NSW residents alongside Reynolds

Status
Not open for further replies.