News Jury Out On Bulldogs Halves Switch

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo pulled a big switch ahead of his side’s Round 8 clash, shifting Matt Burton to halfback instead of his natural five-eighth role.

Ciraldo said he wanted his marquee man to ball in hand more often, hoping to spark the Bulldogs’ lacklustre attack.

As it stands, Canterbury-Bankstown have only scored more points than the Tigers and Roosters with 127.
However, Ciraldo thought his team were “dangerous” at different points despite going down 33-20 against the Sharks.

“I thought we looked good at times, I thought we looked dangerous, every time we got the ball in Matt’s hands we looked dangerous,” Ciraldo said.
“We are still a work in progress there.

The spine has played eight games together so we are still trying to work it out and we are missing some players.
“I thought it was an improvement in the last couple of weeks.”
Burton also echoed his coach’s opinion but explained his team lack the killer blow.

“I just wanted to get the ball in my hands a bit more, I thought we just lacked in periods of the game when we could have gone after it,” Burton said.

Ciraldo’s late switch could signal a shift in the halves, with Burton’s halves partner Kyle Flanagan under pressure.
There were rumblings young gun Karl Oloapu was set to make his NRL debut in Flanagan’s place, however Ciraldo decided against unleashing the 18-year-old.

Rugby league supremo Phil Gould poached the promising playmaker from the Broncos, paying a $500,000 transfer fee to secure his services.
Flanagan’s current contract expires at the end of the 2023 season and the Bulldogs have reportedly made attempts to move the halfback on in the past.

The 24-year-old’s contract is reportedly worth $450,000 per-season and the Belmore-based club could use those funds to hit the open market to find a suited halves partner for Matt Burton.

If Ciraldo perseveres with Burton’s halfback switch long-term, Gould could go after a five-eighth.
However not many suitable players are available for 2024 and Oloapu could be the Bulldogs’ best option.
Across the NRL, playmakers Shaun Johnson, Jayden Nikorima, Kaeo Weekes, Adam Clune and Jack Cogger are without a contract for 2023.

Meanwhile, Tigers outcast Daine Laurie’s contract also expires and the former Panther played as a five-eighth during his junior career.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kennel gonna be a tough place if we lose to dragons,personally our team has no excuse with an 8 day turn around against St George who play today,but yet that’s how much we have fallen with so many out injured.

Positive 8th is within reach
We need to win some games asap

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo pulled a big switch ahead of his side’s Round 8 clash, shifting Matt Burton to halfback instead of his natural five-eighth role.

Ciraldo said he wanted his marquee man to ball in hand more often, hoping to spark the Bulldogs’ lacklustre attack.

As it stands, Canterbury-Bankstown have only scored more points than the Tigers and Roosters with 127.
However, Ciraldo thought his team were “dangerous” at different points despite going down 33-20 against the Sharks.

“I thought we looked good at times, I thought we looked dangerous, every time we got the ball in Matt’s hands we looked dangerous,” Ciraldo said.
“We are still a work in progress there.

The spine has played eight games together so we are still trying to work it out and we are missing some players.
“I thought it was an improvement in the last couple of weeks.”
Burton also echoed his coach’s opinion but explained his team lack the killer blow.

“I just wanted to get the ball in my hands a bit more, I thought we just lacked in periods of the game when we could have gone after it,” Burton said.

Ciraldo’s late switch could signal a shift in the halves, with Burton’s halves partner Kyle Flanagan under pressure.
There were rumblings young gun Karl Oloapu was set to make his NRL debut in Flanagan’s place, however Ciraldo decided against unleashing the 18-year-old.

Rugby league supremo Phil Gould poached the promising playmaker from the Broncos, paying a $500,000 transfer fee to secure his services.
Flanagan’s current contract expires at the end of the 2023 season and the Bulldogs have reportedly made attempts to move the halfback on in the past.

The 24-year-old’s contract is reportedly worth $450,000 per-season and the Belmore-based club could use those funds to hit the open market to find a suited halves partner for Matt Burton.

If Ciraldo perseveres with Burton’s halfback switch long-term, Gould could go after a five-eighth.
However not many suitable players are available for 2024 and Oloapu could be the Bulldogs’ best option.
Across the NRL, playmakers Shaun Johnson, Jayden Nikorima, Kaeo Weekes, Adam Clune and Jack Cogger are without a contract for 2023.

Meanwhile, Tigers outcast Daine Laurie’s contract also expires and the former Panther played as a five-eighth during his junior career.
Jack Cogger would have been a smart minimum wage signing this year. Nothing flash but he is a traditional organising half with experience.

Bottom line Burton is not a halfback. He is learning to be a 6. We need an organiser, they don’t need to be a superstar. Someone with a good kicking game and play direct. Someone like Trindall is probably the best realistic option.

EuroNymous

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jack Cogger would have been a smart minimum wage signing this year. Nothing flash but he is a traditional organising half with experience.

Bottom line Burton is not a halfback. He is learning to be a 6. We need an organiser, they don’t need to be a superstar. Someone with a good kicking game and play direct. Someone like Trindall is probably the best realistic option.
i also really like sexton also as option, gold coast making big mistake playing boyd over sexton.

think he topped most forced drop outs in season last year

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
i also really like sexton also as option, gold coast making big mistake playing boyd over sexton.

Nasheed here,
Boyd is pretty decent in a no frills way

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s sign more forward duds on big bucks ,that’s worked well for us.
I went ballistic when Adam Reynolds was on the market and we didn’t sign him,
Coach was happy with parts of the game and people said we could have won v sharks ,absolute rubbish.
Sharks bombed about 4-5 tries and score flattered us,that’s the truth.
Our defence on both flanks is a shambles .

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The jury is the Kennel.. look no further.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think he actually stole them in the real sense

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The better a team is coached the less the team needs an on field organising half. Flanagan's issue is not organisation it is that he doesnt put any stress on the oppositions defence - need halves who when they run defences are stressed. The more Burton runs the better the attack looks - just need another half to do the same.

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don’t need more halves. We just need to be patient. We have good young halves coming up through cup in BBO rajab and KO.
I also think josh Reynolds and Flanagan will rotate between onfield and bench in the no 6 this year. Nu Brown is also in the mix.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Need to beat the dragons. Another tough game as they can be unpredictable at the best of times. Can put a try or 2 in really quick when you least expect! Not a dangerous team. But can be lol.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven’t seen a lot of Sexton, does someone with the nick name Sexy belong at the Bulldogs ?

He’s only 22

Played 19 games in 2022

2 try’s

360 kick metre average

9 try assists

23 forced drop outs

The only won 3 from 16 though.

Anyone seen this bloke play, how’s his game management skills, does he have upside ?

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do we still have Jonah Glover for next year to throw his hat in the ring