Josh Jackson urges James Graham to remain Canterbury Bulldogs NRL captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
JOSH JACKSON has urged James Graham to remain Canterbury captain, insisting the English international is the club’s leader.

Graham’s future as skipper is unclear after The Daily Telegraph revealed he has spoken to club officials about possibly stepping down from the role to focus on football.

Jackson believes the British bookend is the man to lead Canterbury long-term.

“James is our leader and he has got all the players behind him,” Jackson told The Sunday Telegraph.

“He leads us every week, so I can’t imagine that happening (standing down).”

James Graham has spoken to Bulldogs officials about possibly stepping down from the captaincy. Picture: Gregg Porteous

Jackson has been mentioned as a potential replacement for Graham, but he refused to stake his claim for the position. While admitting he was interested in leadership, the unassuming backrower preferred to talk up his fellow teammates.

“I still think there are a lot of guys at the Bulldogs that are great leaders and they are a lot more experienced than me,” he said.

“Aiden Tolman, we’ve still got the two Morris boys (Josh and Brett) there and Greg Eastwood as well.”

On the back of a disappointing 2016 season by the club’s lofty standards, Jackson said the players believed their hopes of making amends had been boosted by the news coach Des Hasler would remain at Belmore despite pressure from sections of the board.

“Des has got the full support of every single player from last year,” he said.

Josh Jackson has developed into a strong leader at the Canterbury Bulldogs. Picture: Gregg Porteous

“I know I was personally rapt to have him stay. He is a great coach and he is really good for the team, so I was very happy.”

Despite being named the NSW Blues’ player of the year, Jackson — who played two Tests in 2014 — was surprisingly overlooked for Australia’s Four Nations campaign.

“I would have loved to be involved this year,” he said.

“I didn’t get the nod, so I’ll rip in this pre-season and hopefully start the season well and see how it goes.

“In terms of us at the Bulldogs, it would be great to get the premiership.

“I guess that starts with a top-four spot, because that’s probably the key to being in amongst it.”

Source

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
If James wants to concentrate on his own game then let him.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like the way this **** talks, none of the "we can win it outside the top 4" bullshit and doesn't have a cry after being overlooked for the Australian team but instead wants to prove them wrong.

I-don't-know

Waterboy
Reaction score
Why is josh Jackson commenting on this anyway?

Are they obliged to speak to the media?

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Jackos right there's no better leader at the club then Graham.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This could mean Graham has already stepped down and they have had a talk with JJ - just putting it out and testing the waters.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just make Tolman captain, at least make him useful for something.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Eastwood lol

I-don't-know

Waterboy
Reaction score
Eastwood lol
I think youre being sarcastic but anyway Eastwood as captain wouldn't be a great idea.
I think his creativity would be affected , he is one of only a couple of players that can actually turn the game around, if he were captain I think it would affect his ability.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What else was jacko going to say "James is a shit ****, and he should step down. I'd do a better job" ?
This exact same story was written about a year ago with woods and Farrah.
Graham is gone. And it's a good move.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think youre being sarcastic but anyway Eastwood as captain wouldn't be a great idea.
I think his creativity would be affected , he is one of only a couple of players that can actually turn the game around, if he were captain I think it would affect his ability.
You probably " dont know" how Marley feels about Eastwood lol

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jmoz should be made captain. Longest serving player at our club (going into his 9th season ) and someone who can talk to the refs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
"creativity"

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can the club do anything these days that doesn't get dragged out in the media?
If Graham wants to step down fine just make it happen but don't have it become a bigger issue by having it fester over a few months.
The club cannot keep anything behind closed doors these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.