Josh Jackson improved after being led up the Carden path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Hidden beneath this Souths love-(in)fest is a great article on JJ.

WHEN it comes to the rise and rise of Canterbury backrower Josh Jackson, recruitment guru Peter Mulholland reckons you need to talk to one man.

“You should have a yarn to Garry Carden,” Mulholland says.

“I might have signed him, but the bloke who created most of those kids I brought to Canterbury is Carden. He is the best physical preparer of kids I have ever seen.

“He is the doyen.”

When he arrived at Canterbury, Jackson did so with a question mark over his future. After starring for Newcastle’s SG Ball side, he was told he didn't have the physique to become an NRL player. Then he fell under Carden’s spell. In the space of two seasons, Carden transformed Jackson from an 88kg question mark to a 100kg prototype who is on the verge of Test selection.

“He was just a nuggety little fella,” Carden said. “I think Newcastle got rid of him because they thought he was too small. I think what is good for Jacko is he came through with Dale (Finucane). His work ethic was phenomenal.

“They’re both playing first grade now. With Jacko, you always knew he was going to be OK, without being as good as he is today.”

Jackson's story isn’t complete without some reference to Finucane. The pair met when they joined the Bulldogs, quickly becoming housemates and best friends. They drove each other to new heights off the field and replicated that on the field.

“I watched him over a two-week period and thought I want him,” Mulholland said of Jackson.

“His workrate was enormous. He was what I needed. He just knew the way around a footy park. He had footy sense, footy smarts. And he’s a very impressive young bloke.

“He packed up and came from Mudgee to go to Hunter Sports High School to give himself a chance.”

Carden adds: “He’s a great trainer. Him and Dale became very close when he came to Canterbury. They got together and became mates. (Jackson) is not like your typical Generation Y, going out and getting on the drink. He will pull up stumps when he knows he’s had enough.

“You watch him play now. I reckon he’s a better footy player than (Sydney Roosters star Boyd) Cordner. He has more footy in him than Cordner.

“There is one thing about Josh — there’s no mug in him. He’s a good team bloke too. You wouldn't meet a nicer kid. It was just a matter of putting some real good muscle on him.”

That done, Jackson, 23, quickly established himself in a Bulldogs pack bristling with big names. His form was so good this season he was brought into the NSW camp by coach Laurie Daley to give him a taste of the Blues set-up.

Heading into tonight's preliminary final against Penrith at ANZ Stadium, his name is being bandied about for international selection. Australia coach Tim Sheens has been monitoring Jackson as he looks for depth in the back row, where the Kangaroos are facing some gaps.

Jackson could yet find himself a member of the Australia side for the Four Nations. Not bad for a bloke who was considered too small at one point in his career.

Brent Read

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/josh-jackson-improved-after-being-led-up-the-carden-path/story-fnca0von-1227072122737?nk=fb41b7996d607868981edc66b84ba781

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Cool, is this Carden fella still at the dogs?

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This Carden bloke should help out klemmer in the next couple of years.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
He has been with the dogs for a very long time

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Sweet, good to hear he is still on board in these times of hot seats.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His defence has always been strong, but his influence in attack on the right is HUGE for us, his combination with Lafai is critical to us.
Onya JJ, rip it up tonight mate!

silva

Utility
Reaction score
There's something special about Jackson. He reminds me of Steve Price and I hope he plays out his career with the dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.