News Josh Jackson’s career at crossroads as Phil Gould eyes Bulldogs overhaul

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He left to play in the halves, not for money. If he wants to go back and play centre for them then so be it.
Yep cannot see Burton staying at the dogs long term....he will go back to the panthers or sign with another profile club unless there is a huge improvement in our performance

Reactions: ATT

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep cannot see Burton staying at the dogs long term....he will go back to the panthers or sign with another profile club unless there is a huge improvement in our performance
he would look like a bitc, Thatcouldn’t handle the pressure of being the main man to lead a team around. His value would drop drastically. He will need an upgrade but maybe not as much as we all thought he would get.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he would look like a bitc, Thatcouldn’t handle the pressure of being the main man to lead a team around. His value would drop drastically. He will need an upgrade but maybe not as much as we all thought he would get.
He will want to play for a club that will enhance his career....his decision will come to more than just money

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I respect your opinion but don’t agree, if we want to see success we need to forget sentimentality.

Ennis, Graham and Price all moved on. If Gus makes this tough call I believe he’s doing the right thing.

Jackson tries his guts out and it’s unfortunate he’s around at a very poor time in the clubs history. But let’s be honest he has been paid very well and we offered him a longer and better deal than any other club would have, he has been well paid for the pain he’s endured.

Whatever the circumstances he’s not going to add massive value on field. Keep him involved with the club just not playing.
It's a mutual respect, my sentiments derives not only from loyalty and respect but the fact he is still contracted to us next season.
Ennis and Graham were the victims of Des-troyer who was only interested in looking after his own friends, as for Price we offered a top contract then 400k a season, needing a leader the Warriors offered 600k a season and got in trouble for salary cap breaches.
Yes Jackson has been handsomely paid but there were times when he could have left to a winning team for approximately the same money if not more but didn't.
I still believe we must re-establish trust and loyalty in our club, something the criminals Drunkenfield and Co are hard working on destroying.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree. His contract value and what is included in the cap are two very different things. He won’t free up all that much space. He is being used incorrectly by Barrett. Still offers plenty.
You look at him compared to all the other players in his position. He doesn’t do anything apart from tackles.

Last edited:

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last 4-6 the tigers have been smashed by Rothfield and 360..... are going to get pumped by the media till we start winning or Barrett gets sacked

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the problem...Loyalty means nothing these days :rage:
In my opinion, any player surpass 10 years service at one club should totally be exempted from the salary cap.
Players need to perform to earn that right. Jackson has been putrid for 3 years. The salary cap is fine, I'm glad if we can't keep Jackson, might play a better player.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Far out.

He will go back to the panthers on $350k per year ?? They will let go of Isaac Tago who is probably playing better than Burton did in that spot last year.

This site should come with a free lifetime supply of Panadol. If Burton wants an upgrade he should start fuckin playing better.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we tried Jackson on an edge and he wasn't good, Liam Martin is what Jackson was 6 years ago, they're not even remotely close to the same player now
Jackson doesn't need to play on an edge.
He can be effective taking a hit up through the ruck every set of six. We just need to not use him as first reciever which is what Baz shit system is making him do currently.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanting to or needing to move these players on is fine but actually making it work without paying a tonne of freight is the extremely difficult part.
If we try to flick him it’s going to cost us some serious money which again would be a total waste.
Jackson put pen to paper for a three year contract that was approved by our management, absolutely no fault on his part at all.
I personally thought it was too long at the time but no point in looking back it achieves nothing tbh.
He leaves nothing in the tank each week and has done so all his career a real credit.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
we tried Jackson on an edge and he wasn't good, Liam Martin is what Jackson was 6 years ago, they're not even remotely close to the same player now
Jackson should be on an edge it makes complete sense, he has played most of his best football there, has a pass on him, defends well on an edge and organises players either side of him.

Statstically he has been on par offensively and defensively superior than Liam Martin this year, and that is whilst being asked to play a role he hasn't played his whole career. Your comment about not being remotely close is incorrect.

Jackson - 95% tackle efficiency, average metres 86 per game, 5 offloads

Martin - 88% tackle efficiency, 101 per game, 5 offloads.

Jackson would have done no worse than Waddell on our edge this year, if I was Jackson I would be calling out Barrett for putting him in the position he has

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jackson should be on an edge it makes complete sense, he has played most of his best football there, has a pass on him, defends well on an edge and organises players either side of him.

Statstically he has been on par offensively and defensively superior than Liam Martin this year, and that is whilst being asked to play a role he hasn't played his whole career. Your comment about not being remotely close is incorrect.

Jackson - 95% tackle efficiency, average metres 86 per game, 5 offloads

Martin - 88% tackle efficiency, 101 per game, 5 offloads.

Jackson would have done no worse than Waddell on our edge this year, if I was Jackson I would be calling out Barrett for putting him in the position he has
Well said.
He would have done better than Waddell. Defensively and offensively.
Baz should look elsewhere for the 13 jumper, but JJ would certainly tie up an edge.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Players need to perform to earn that right. Jackson has been putrid for 3 years. The salary cap is fine, I'm glad if we can't keep Jackson, might play a better player.
The poor bloke has been doing all the hard work for the past 4 seasons in one of the worst preforming teams ever.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The poor bloke has been doing all the hard work for the past 4 seasons in one of the worst preforming teams ever.
There’s more to doing hard work as a back rower or lock than taking the ball up and getting in the way. He’s just a worse Tolman. Sorry to be blunt.

That isn’t to say I don’t respect what Josh has given the club. However he was cooked 3 years ago.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If Baz is still our coach next year we need to move Jackson into the front and sign someone like Matterson so we actually have a ball playing lock. Jackson at prop isn't ideal (he has a weird body shape) but we can't play him on an edge so there's literally nowhere else we can play him. If we played like the Storm or Sharks having Jackson at lock wouldn't be an issue. I guess in that system there isn't much difference between a prop or lock anyway.