Johnson leaves Storm to play in France

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm's Australian Test lock Dallas Johnson has accepted an offer "too good to refuse", signing a three-year contract with Super League club Catalans Dragons.

The Storm reluctantly agreed to grant the two-time NRL premiership-winning forward an early release from his contract, which had been due to run until the end of the 2011 season.

"The Storm, as a club, has meant so much to me," said Johnson, 26, who played in the last four State of Origin series for Queensland.

"This was without doubt the toughest decision of my career.

"I made my debut in Storm colours, represented Queensland and Australia while playing for them, and have made some life-long friends.

"Storm members and supporters are the most devoted in rugby league and I want them to know that I am indebted for the support they have shown me throughout my career.

"But there are other areas of life I want to explore and living abroad and travelling is absolutely up there on the list.

"The opportunity to continue my rugby league career with the security of a long-term deal and in such a beautiful part of the world was one that I couldn't refuse."

Storm coach Craig Bellamy, who made his debut as coach on the same night Johnson played his first NRL game, described the hard-hitting lock as the toughest rugby league player he had seen.

"For a guy his size, to do what he does on the field, week after week, is simply incredible," said Bellamy.

"He's the toughest player I have ever seen.

"He's a popular guy amongst the players and he will be missed by all."

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if he got selected to tour with Australia if he still would have gone.

Stagg HAS to be there for QLD now. It would be a crime if some other grub got there before him.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
unexpected

Good luck to him

Mr Patwa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dammm this means we gonna loose stagg for a few matches during the year... I will be proud to see a bulldogg wearing the QLD jumper but also sad he wont be in the blue & white for a few games...

Mr Patwa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Stagg will finally get his chance that he deserves

MELBOURNE Storm's Australian Test lock Dallas Johnson has accepted an offer "too good to refuse", signing a three-year contract with Super League club Catalans Dragons.

As predicted by this website, the Storm reluctantly agreed to grant the two-time NRL premiership-winning forward an early release from his contract, which had been due to run until the end of the 2011 season.

"The Storm, as a club, has meant so much to me," said Johnson, 26, who played in the last four State of Origin series for Queensland.

"This was without doubt the toughest decision of my career.

"I made my debut in Storm colours, represented Queensland and Australia while playing for them, and have made some life-long friends.

"Storm members and supporters are the most devoted in rugby league and I want them to know that I am indebted for the support they have shown me throughout my career.

"But there are other areas of life I want to explore and living abroad and travelling is absolutely up there on the list.

"The opportunity to continue my rugby league career with the security of a long-term deal and in such a beautiful part of the world was one that I couldn't refuse."

Storm coach Craig Bellamy, who made his debut as coach on the same night Johnson played his first NRL game, described the hard-hitting lock as the toughest rugby league player he had seen.

"For a guy his size, to do what he does on the field, week after week, is simply incredible," said Bellamy.

"He's the toughest player I have ever seen.

"He's a popular guy amongst the players and he will be missed by all."

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow - big loss there.

Kinda stupid tbh.. the Storm had to let a few people go because of this guy, including Turner.

They'll be spewing now.

This is what happens when people can't commit to their contracts.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It was too good to refuse? I wonder what would've happened had he not been granted a release. Reality bite :o

Shawty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Huge loss for Storm and Qld, Stagg will fill the QLD spot.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
dallas johnson is a no frills type of player, does massive amount af defensive work, plays 80 minutes every game.
he will be missed by melbourne storm.
then on the brighter side,,,, david stagg qld origin team

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Quite a big loss.
I actually don't mind Dallas Johnson as a player.
But all the best to him for the future :]

X

XxFoVoSxX

massive loss, him and smith are the heart and soul of melbournes defense...

but knowing melbourne they'll find someone very capable of filling the void.. they always do

S

Shermy

Lowrie is crap.
Id be using Hoffman at 13 in a defensive role.
Or do what NZ are doing and use Blair there..

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
..... Theres a Blair in there......

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
melbourne are feeling the salary cap bite now, they are happy to let him go tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.