Johns Threathens to Quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just watching Sunrise and they were saying Johns is prepared to quit NRL and head overseas if the he thinks the suspension is too harsh (apparently Telegraph is running the story). Do you think the NRL will cave in to this form of blackmail (I think Gutless Gallop will)?

Mac

lol finch
Reaction score
Joey set to dump Australia
By Dean Ritchie
August 16, 2006 ANDREW Johns, the world's best league player, is contemplating quitting the NRL and moving to England if handed a season-ending four-match ban at tonight's judiciary hearing.

In the biggest judiciary case in the NRL's history, Johns' season could be over if he fails to have a dissent charge downgraded and misses the finals.

The charge arises from a 79th minute incident in the match against Manly last Friday night when Johns called touch judge Matt Cecchin a "f...ing c...".

The Newcastle captain faces either a two-match or four-match ban. His manager John Fordham said Johns could walk away from the NRL if banished for the season.

Fordham stressed Johns had not stated he would quit, but was tiring of the intense scrutiny of his high profile in the NRL.

"The immediate playing future of Andrew Johns, one of rugby league's greatest players, ambassadors and characters, will hinge on the result," Fordham said in an exclusive column for The Daily Telegraph.

"If the NRL judiciary votes in favour of a four-match ban and the Knights subsequently either fail to make the final eight or survive the first semi-final without their chief playmaker, would you blame him if he suddenly decided he's had enough?

"Will he have had enough of the pressure-cooker environment, the scrutiny and the witch-hunts that are part of being the game's highest profile and best player?

"The NRL can ill afford to drive its No.1 drawcard away from playing the game in this country.

"What nobody appears to be disputing is the penalty far exceeds the severity of the offence."

Fordham said Johns lived under intense scrutiny in Newcastle.

"Joey has often complained about the constant off-field pressure, focus and scrutiny that come with the lofty status he's achieved on the football field," Fordham said.

"In Newcastle, a city he loves dearly, he lives in a fishbowl. Whenever he can escape to enjoy the simple things in life - surfing, a concert and, yes, even visiting an art gallery, he is at his happiest.

"Over the years, he's had to put up with people encroaching on his property, causing a racket as they drive past his house or even ringing his doorbell to say hello.

"This intrusion has driven him to the edge on many occasions."

Newcastle's defence team this evening will be Allan Sullivan QC and barrister James McLeod.

"We in no way condone swearing at match officials, however, we believe the severity of the charge is out of proportion," Knights chief executive Ken Conway said.

Former Australia captain Brad Fittler last night backed Johns.

"I think the penalty is a bit harsh. It sounds heavy.

sonnyfaifan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
bye see you later, join mason and faumiuna on the way out if they keep on saying they want to quit.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Dont let the door hit you on your barge arse on the way out!!!

Sammii

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope he does leave.. he is a sook and is only saying it so the NRL will feel sorry for him and not want him to go so not give him a ban.

Goodbye Johns!!!

Nate

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not want him to quit as I think he is an absolutely fantastic player and he's just one of the best players to watch.

If he does leave it will be showing total disrespect and absolutely no loyalty to Newcastle.

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
let him go, i think he is a great player, but as far as this episode is concerned he is being a big sook.

TBT

The Bitter Truth
Reaction score
A great player..... Shame his ego is tarnishing his reputation....

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
I hope he goes

How dare he do that. He can't get off just because he is andrew Johns. He didn't just get the 3 weeks for swearing he had done it before and he had 93 carry over points (for hitting someone in the face) he should stop having a cry.

He is a big sook. I hope the judicary dont cave in to him.

A

atomic_crimson

boo ****ing hoo! whats this garbage holding the NRL to ransom... if i get banned i wont play... isn't he contracted to the knights - i certainly hope there is no get out clause.... but i guess it wont matter cos the league will bend over to cater this ***** johns!

stop having a whinge barge arse - show some respect and cop the consequences!

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
the worst part is that the NRL will bend over backwards for him too... he will probably get a 1 match suspension!!!!! load of crock if you ask me

bye bye joey... go to england and DONT come back

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
he hasnt said he would quit, just the media blowing it up

would newcastle release him from his contract if he does want to quit?

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this was almost any other player in the NRL it would've just been a 4 week suspension- end of story. The fact that he is Andrew Johns should not mean that he is treated more softly than other players. If he does decide to quit he will un-do all the good things he has ever done in RL and be seen as a great big sook.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
F*** he is a whinging c*** LOL

Piss off to england, he knows he is not the player he used to be so he is looking for excuses.

Im sick of that pr!ck, all he does is act like a 2 year old who doesnt get his way a has a hissy fit.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He stuffed up, take it on the chin and sit it out, you bloody big girl

Status
Not open for further replies.