Joey Johns joins Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddman

Serial madman!
Reaction score
DES Hasler has made another significant announcement at Canterbury-Bankstown by signing retired halfback of the century Andrew Johns to the Bulldogs coaching staff.

Johns has previously worked with Hasler at Manly, where he was responsible for fine-tuning the skills of halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran.

The Bulldogs will be hoping Johns can work some similar magic with Trent Hodkinson and Kris Keating.

Following the appointment of Michael Ennis as captain and Noel Cleal as a recruitment officer, Hasler is continuing to put his stamp on Belmore since taking over as head coach last month.
Related Coverage

"Joey has been working with me for three or four years now and he's been out and met the boys at the Bulldogs," Hasler said. "There's nothing too specific he'll be working on at this stage, he'll just do work across the way."

SOURCE: DAILY TELEGRAPH

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Serious sh*t going down at Belmore.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can't stand Joey. We have used him before and it was a fail. Would much rather Matty Johns.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Its good news, look at Foran and Cherry Evans last season.

dogslyfe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
we have been through all this before. did not work. still better than Kimmorley though.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see Joey in his blue and white polo shirt, anything that improves attacking flair is a good move, it's done now so we have to go with it.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The players who learnt from Joey last time were all duds. Great signing, Kimmorley did nothing for us.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laugh out motherf ucking loud at those not happy Joey Johns is mentoring our young halves.

What's your reasoning?

When he was here last time we didn't win a premiership?

We lacked attacking flair?

Steve Folks was head coach not Joey Johns. Johns wasn't responsible for our overall attacking structure.

I am not confident, after the last two seasons, that things have been working like a well oiled rig out at Belmore which is why we signed Des in the first place.

If Hasler wants to bring in Joey Johns, who mind you will become an immortal at some stage, then ffs that can surely only be seen as a positive.

Last edited by a moderator:

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Steve Folkes was head coach when we last signed Joey in 2007

x-factor

Y.N.W.A
Reaction score
is he on full time with us or just helping us out like he does with many other clubs?

fra250

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Almost 4 years to the day that we did the same thing.

BULLDOGS SIGN UP ANDREW JOHNS IN COACHING ROLE
Wednesday 5 Dec 2007 15:43
by (Press Release)
Source:www.bulldogs.com.au

The Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs have signed up rugby league legend Andrew Johns in a skills coaching role for the 2008 season.

Johns' coaching duties at the Bulldogs will involve working with the halves, hookers and backs, starting this week.

Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes said, "When the opportunity arises for a player of the calibre of Andrew Johns to help you out, you're mad not to utilise him.

"Obviously everyone is aware of what this bloke can do with a football and we'll be tapping in to that as our top grade playmakers and younger players spend time with him."

Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad said, "Even though we made the finals in 2007, we failed to meet our own high standards and those of our supporters. We held a full review of the season and today's announcement of Andrew's coaching role with the Club is the first of a number of new initiatives the Bulldogs will undertake as we head into the 2008 NRL season.

"We have increased our medical roster with the inclusion of an additional physiothe****** to ensure thorough injury prevention programs and additional support in the treatment of injuries. In January, we'll be moving our administrative and training headquarters out to Sydney Olympic Park as the Club continues to embrace the best sporting precinct in the Southern Hemisphere. A brand new gymnasium, double the size of the current gym at Belmore Sports Ground, will be built at the Athletic Centre which will house our existing equipment plus $120,000 of the latest state-of-the-art exercise equipment."

Folkes added, "The energy and enthusiasm that has been shown by the players at training so far has been high. The recent movement of players to and from the Club has enabled us to expand our playing and training philosophy which I believe will result in a very positive and exciting 2008 season for us."

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we had dud halfs then
So Roberts is officially a dud? Not disagreeing, but many on this forum rate him higher than our current halves.

Point is, Joey is still to emulate his brother and bring out the best in a player like Matty did with Cronk.

Off the top of my head, Joey has worked with Roberts, Holdsworth, Barba, Morts, Robson, Keating, Mullen and probably more. How many have improved under him?

Honestly, I couldn't care less. Just expressing my honest opinion. I don't rate him as a coach.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Roberts is officially a dud? Not disagreeing, but many on this forum rate him higher than our current halves.

Point is, Joey is still to emulate his brother and bring out the best in a player like Matty did with Cronk.

Off the top of my head, Joey has worked with Roberts, Holdsworth, Barba, Morts, Robson, Keating, Mullen and probably more. How many have improved under him?

Honestly, I couldn't care less. Just expressing my honest opinion. I don't rate him as a coach.
Your entitled to your opinion no doubt and some will agree.

I'm pretty sure however that under Joey Johns guidance Mortimer and Robson took Parra to a grand final.

Under Joey Mullen had a breakout year and played state of origin and then there is Daly-cherry Evans and Keiron Foran of last year.

Time will tell but I think we will improve under Joey.

Status
Not open for further replies.