News Joey (Andrew Johns ) delves into Bulldogs' woes

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the solution at the moment:
HOOKER: Promote Josh Cook and give him a shot, with BBO on the bench. Drop JMK to NSW Cup.
LOCK: Move King, Stimson, Waddell, Topine, or TPJ into #13 (someone with an offload). Move Jackson into second row or off the bench.

That will then liven up the halves, and middle, and give our edges a chance to move.

Plays start with dummy half. if the service is slow or not precise, everything after it in that play struggles.
Exactly!
The play the ball and the service from dummy half has been slow since Ennis left! He would wave his arms at refs to get piggy back penalties and we forwards fighting to get up. We get dominated regularly unless TPJ or Thompson gets on the front foot and we still have the slow service. JMK and Lichaa before take an age to pass and can’t pass fro the ground. We look fantastic when we get quick play the balls and a roll.
also no threat from dummy half. Teams know that JMK wont run or Flanagan so they will just adjust defence to do that. Teams could play one marker against us as we still wouldn’t figure it out.
Dufty needs to keep sniffing around the ruck for offloads along with the dummy half

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He didn’t say anything insightful. Jmks running game is his strength. It’s his vision and passing game which is lacking.
Sorry but he doesn’t have any strengths. His running game is so overrated it’s not funny. The bloke has no vision whatsoever and usually runs when there’s bugger all space in front.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Joey has been coaching the halves at Newcastle and been raving about what a good footballer Clunes is in recent times. Someone more cynical than me might suggest that this is a smokescreen to cover his own inefficiencies as a coach.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but he doesn’t have any strengths. His running game is so overrated it’s not funny. The bloke has no vision whatsoever and usually runs when there’s bugger all space in front.
Always runs at a tackler, never a hole. Although goes for all our forwards, they assume crash play means crash over four defenders, how about try crashing through a hole between them.

And go low ffs…the number of times they cross the stripe standing bolt upright astounds me.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joey has been coaching the halves at Newcastle and been raving about what a good footballer Clunes is in recent times. Someone more cynical than me might suggest that this is a smokescreen to cover his own inefficiencies as a coach.
I was at the Newcastle game yesterday…either Joey is a shit coach, or they aren’t listening to him. Their halves did less than Flamingo

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the Newcastle game yesterday…either Joey is a shit coach, or they aren’t listening to him. Their halves did less than Flamingo
Mate their forwards are absolute powder puffs. Klemmer had half a go but ffs the media is all over us for paying Thompson $800k a year. They give Klemmer a pass and he is on more than Luke.

The Safiti boys haven’t aimed up this year either. Most halves would struggle behind that pack.

We would beat the knights if we played them next week. I am not sure I could give another side a bigger insult than that

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Andrew Johns explains what's going so wrong at the Bulldogs, who are sitting on the bottom of the NRL ladder.
Thanks scoop . . . Any chance he could let Barrett in on the worlds worst kept secret

Malla

Reaction score
Delves? More like a 1 minute cameo. Bloke said nothing that we already don't know.

Malla

Reaction score
Keen for someone to ask Joey how he is going with Knights attack? No tries last week. Worrying signs Andrew. Focus on that.

Snackdoogie

Waterboy
Reaction score
So the solution at the moment:
HOOKER: Promote Josh Cook and give him a shot, with BBO on the bench. Drop JMK to NSW Cup.
LOCK: Move King, Stimson, Waddell, Topine, or TPJ into #13 (someone with an offload). Move Jackson into second row or off the bench.

That will then liven up the halves, and middle, and give our edges a chance to move.

Plays start with dummy half. if the service is slow or not precise, everything after it in that play struggles.
I agree with the hooker move. But TPJ should be a prop not a lock. He needs to just run straight and that is what he does best. With an extra offload in him as a prop that will be really helpful to gain some extra metres. Tbh Stimson probably would be the best bet at that lock spot or even Topine i cant see any of the others there.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Andrew Johns explains what's going so wrong at the Bulldogs, who are sitting on the bottom of the NRL ladder.
Most will agree with what he said.. our attack is struggling.. 9 7 and 13 arent giving us much in attack like he said..

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny when ever you criticise Jackson people call you a flop and say how he bleeds blue and white. Well he can bleed all he likes but he won’t win you many games like other 13s.

Jackson is a club legend. A true warrior. But like boyd the game has probably passed them by. They both played the game 1000% and it’s probably taken a toll on their body and their game.

Only so much you can be loyal before you need to lessen his role.
If it bleeds, we can kill it!

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why has all and sundry jumped on Dufty's juggula over a bad exhibition over one weekend. He went on to redeem himself with some
great stuff and takes after those errors when others would have thrown in the cotton. FFS, he's our best our best attacking weapon and most likely one to break the line. He's a good footy player and we'd be unwise not to resign him. As for Joey, when asked how you reinstall Dufty's confidence, I thought the immortal one was going to suggest to partake regularly with the blow and enjoy the peace of mind of being protected from being tested !

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why has all and sundry jumped on Dufty's juggula over a bad exhibition over one weekend. He went on to redeem himself with some
great stuff and takes after those errors when others would have thrown in the cotton. FFS, he's our best our best attacking weapon and most likely one to break the line. He's a good footy player and we'd be unwise not to resign him. As for Joey, when asked how you reinstall Dufty's confidence, I thought the immortal one was going to suggest to partake regularly with the blow and enjoy the peace of mind of being protected from being tested !
Dufty isn't good enough for what we need and want moving forward. He's only a short term option until someone else presents themselves. I actually don't think what he's bringing in attack outweighs his negatives still. We basically play a man down in defence for e.g. We're a team that isn't going to win well and we're either going to get flogged or be in an arm wrestle every week. I don't think he's good for that environment.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Funny when ever you criticise Jackson people call you a flop and say how he bleeds blue and white. Well he can bleed all he likes but he won’t win you many games like other 13s.

Jackson is a club legend. A true warrior. But like boyd the game has probably passed them by. They both played the game 1000% and it’s probably taken a toll on their body and their game.

Only so much you can be loyal before you need to lessen his role.
The guy knows how to play and physically fine, goes hard too. Needs some tweaks to his new style of play, play more direct, maybe an occasional block play or link as he seems to do a lot of, I want to see more of his old hole running and an occasional smart offload.
Most of what I want from our captain is bring more emotion, big solid clean tackle or run, pump up the players, tell them he wants better, look at what JAC brings, there's going to be times JAC can't always do the talking. It sounds odd as it's not directly related to skill and physical but I want more character, our team needs him to help build mentality, otherwise there's no point of a captain if they're to just "lead by example" in today's modern (soft) game. As long as he physically is meeting benchmarks and handling skill drills in training, etc, I think he'd still be fine in our team but must be a leader on the field. He can do it.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate their forwards are absolute powder puffs. Klemmer had half a go but ffs the media is all over us for paying Thompson $800k a year. They give Klemmer a pass and he is on more than Luke.

The Safiti boys haven’t aimed up this year either. Most halves would struggle behind that pack.

We would beat the knights if we played them next week. I am not sure I could give another side a bigger insult than that
On their day Newcastle have a strong pack, they've been off aye.