News Jayden Okunbor story mirrors cult figure Jamal Idris but Canterbury Bulldog tyro wants to shape own

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eight years ago, Canterbury fans fell in love with the athletically gifted son of a Nigerian father.

The thick dreadlocks, schoolboy track and field honours and powerful build quickly turned Jamal Idris into a Bulldogs cult figure.

Jayden Okunbor, whose shotput record at the Pacific Schools Games set as an 11-year-old still stands, was a fan of Idris, too.

And while the young pup’s hairstyle, lineage and story is startlingly similar to Idris, the NRL-bound 21-year-old wants to make one thing clear.

“We do have a fair bit in common, both being Nigerian,’’ Okunbor said. “We both did athletics growing up. He was a good discus thrower and I did shotput, so our stories are pretty similar.

“But I’d like to make my own name.

Jayden Okunbor will make his NRL debut for the Bulldogs this season. Picture: David Swift
“Four years ago I wrote down a goal to become the best African to ever play rugby league and that’s still one of my goals. I’ve got to make it happen, starting this year.’’

Okunbor is more than just an Idris doppelgänger.

His story, starting from his time as a local junior with the Milperra Colts, is everything the rebuilding Dogs need right now.

A member of the Bulldogs system for the past four years, Okunbor is chasing his NRL debut this year following a pre-season in Dean Pay’s top 30 NRL squad.

“At Belmore we have a back shed for the boys that aren’t in the top 30 contracted players, so I was in there for three years,’’ Okunbor said. “You’re not really a first grader until you’re into the change rooms.

“But I’ve got a locker this year and it’s a pretty good feeling having my name up there.

“I know it doesn’t seem like much, but to me it was a pretty big deal to see my name there. Sitting there next to the boys makes me feel like I’m on my way.’’

Jamal Idris became a cult figure at the Bulldogs.

Jayden Okunbor wants to forge his own path.
Weighing 106kg, Okunbor played in the second-row of Canterbury’s ISP team last year. However, a relegation to park football to “toughen up” and a late season switch to the wing have transformed his game and mindset.

“I thought NSW Cup would be a walk in the park and that’s why Georgie (NSW Cup coach Steve Georgeallis) did drop me, I was just cruising,’’ he said. “I wasn’t training hard.

“But by far this has been my best pre-season. I’m pushing very hard to be part of that round one team.

“With Brett Morris going and Josh (Morris) as well, there was a spot for me in the backs and I think this is my year. It’s my last year signed to the club and I’ve got to make the most of it. If I want anything to come of it, I’ve got to make my mark now.’’

A national shotput champion at age 14, Okunbor’s Pacific Games record of 16.35m still stands from 2008. He was also a representative cricketer for Bankstown and was selected in the NSW under-14 Emerging Blues cricket squad.

“With shotput, I thought it was a bit hard getting Mum to fork out money just so I could go throw a ball three times,’’ he said. “And I played cricket reps until 15 and I had to make a decision between cricket or footy. It was always going to be footy. I played one game with the (Emerging Blues) and knew I really didn’t want to be there.’’

Okunbor said his father, who moved to Australia from Nigeria 25 years ago, is a rugby league tragic.

“Dad watches every game,’’ he said. “He’s been sending back videos of NSW Cup to my relatives in Nigeria, bragging a bit. Nigeria is a huge country and some of the athletes that have come out of there are pretty freakish.

“People think I’m islander and are a bit surprised when I say I’m Nigerian. But I love saying it. I love that I’m probably the only player in the NRL at the moment or trying to make it from Nigeria.’’

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/2edb2e193b4bf592d0cd47e197b4886b

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let’s hope that’s were the similarities end

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
"If I want anything to come of it, I’ve got to make my mark now.’’

He's not the only one, there are quite few others in the same boat.

Go Dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He looks as though he hasn't on a bit of muscle tbh. Let's hope he really does make an impact!!!

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like he has alot of passion and drive. Can only be a good thing that he is pushing himself to be better

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Kid has potential. Hopefully he doesn't end up like Iris.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love how he has realised he was just coasting and has to earn his spot in the team. I don’t think we ever heard Idris talk like that and he ended up suffering from believing his own hype. I saw some good things from Okunbor when he played wing.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of similarities. Sadly one of the is laziness. If he want to succeed, and Im sure he does, he needs to rip in.
He used to get lost in the reggies. He would do something good, and then go into hibernation. That attitude wont cut it in FG.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really hope he improves enough to get a run on the wing this season, he and Smith on either side would get our sets rolling nicely.
There is a lot of positives out of the article its sounds like he has had a attitude adjustment, looks fit and most importantly they have given him a position finally and he won't be getting moved every few weeks.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There is a lot of positives out of the article its sounds like he has had a attitude adjustment, looks fit and most importantly they have given him a position finally and he won't be getting moved every few weeks.
I try not to take much out of these type of articles as it's easy to say what people want to hear and what not. But you could definitely see an attitude change in him once he moved out onto the wing.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Eight years ago, Canterbury fans fell in love with the athletically gifted son of a Nigerian father.

The thick dreadlocks, schoolboy track and field honours and powerful build quickly turned Jamal Idris into a Bulldogs cult figure.

Jayden Okunbor, whose shotput record at the Pacific Schools Games set as an 11-year-old still stands, was a fan of Idris, too.

And while the young pup’s hairstyle, lineage and story is startlingly similar to Idris, the NRL-bound 21-year-old wants to make one thing clear.

“We do have a fair bit in common, both being Nigerian,’’ Okunbor said. “We both did athletics growing up. He was a good discus thrower and I did shotput, so our stories are pretty similar.

“But I’d like to make my own name.

Jayden Okunbor will make his NRL debut for the Bulldogs this season. Picture: David Swift
“Four years ago I wrote down a goal to become the best African to ever play rugby league and that’s still one of my goals. I’ve got to make it happen, starting this year.’’

Okunbor is more than just an Idris doppelgänger.

His story, starting from his time as a local junior with the Milperra Colts, is everything the rebuilding Dogs need right now.

A member of the Bulldogs system for the past four years, Okunbor is chasing his NRL debut this year following a pre-season in Dean Pay’s top 30 NRL squad.

“At Belmore we have a back shed for the boys that aren’t in the top 30 contracted players, so I was in there for three years,’’ Okunbor said. “You’re not really a first grader until you’re into the change rooms.

“But I’ve got a locker this year and it’s a pretty good feeling having my name up there.

“I know it doesn’t seem like much, but to me it was a pretty big deal to see my name there. Sitting there next to the boys makes me feel like I’m on my way.’’

Jamal Idris became a cult figure at the Bulldogs.

Jayden Okunbor wants to forge his own path.
Weighing 106kg, Okunbor played in the second-row of Canterbury’s ISP team last year. However, a relegation to park football to “toughen up” and a late season switch to the wing have transformed his game and mindset.

“I thought NSW Cup would be a walk in the park and that’s why Georgie (NSW Cup coach Steve Georgeallis) did drop me, I was just cruising,’’ he said. “I wasn’t training hard.

“But by far this has been my best pre-season. I’m pushing very hard to be part of that round one team.

“With Brett Morris going and Josh (Morris) as well, there was a spot for me in the backs and I think this is my year. It’s my last year signed to the club and I’ve got to make the most of it. If I want anything to come of it, I’ve got to make my mark now.’’

A national shotput champion at age 14, Okunbor’s Pacific Games record of 16.35m still stands from 2008. He was also a representative cricketer for Bankstown and was selected in the NSW under-14 Emerging Blues cricket squad.

“With shotput, I thought it was a bit hard getting Mum to fork out money just so I could go throw a ball three times,’’ he said. “And I played cricket reps until 15 and I had to make a decision between cricket or footy. It was always going to be footy. I played one game with the (Emerging Blues) and knew I really didn’t want to be there.’’

Okunbor said his father, who moved to Australia from Nigeria 25 years ago, is a rugby league tragic.

“Dad watches every game,’’ he said. “He’s been sending back videos of NSW Cup to my relatives in Nigeria, bragging a bit. Nigeria is a huge country and some of the athletes that have come out of there are pretty freakish.

“People think I’m islander and are a bit surprised when I say I’m Nigerian. But I love saying it. I love that I’m probably the only player in the NRL at the moment or trying to make it from Nigeria.’’

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/2edb2e193b4bf592d0cd47e197b4886b
I would love so much for this guy to be a hit with the dogs. Hope he goes well

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More a surprise to see the Daily Terrorgraph writing something positive about our club

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I try not to take much out of these type of articles as it's easy to say what people want to hear and what not. But you could definitely see an attitude change in him once he moved out onto the wing.
He definitely turned a corner when he went to wing. Having Smith and Okunbor would give us something we haven’t had in years on both wings.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He definitely turned a corner when he went to wing. Having Smith and Okunbor would give us something we haven’t had in years on both wings.
Yup. Both of them are also capable of throwing a nice offload, think this is a little underrated when working it out from your own end.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surley he gets the other wing spot. His worth the risk. Its a huge advantage having 2 big strong fast wingers.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will he bleed for the club though?

Seriously, good luck to him. It looks like he knows what hard work is, so I hope it pays off.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Smith is a certainty for one wing. The other is a toss up between Crichton, Hopoate and maybe Okunbor.