Official Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera statement

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch this spineless board go and toss off the nrl take the moral high ground and piss them off, any other club would bring them back no questions asked

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The stance they took? The club did fucking nothing. The bunch of fucking nobodies at the club done fuck all and waited for the NRL to make the decision for them.

Bunch of fucking c*** keep talking about the old days and the "family club" rubbish, well where the fuck was the family club there? No where. Bunch of fucking c***.
FMD Marley don’t blow a gasket mate it’s not with it

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is very simple really. Re-instate CHN and I don’t really care about Okunbor. But Knowing this club’s track record CHN will end up elsewhere. We are more concerned about how we look instead of what we achieve.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We could all go back down this path of saying whether they're guilty, and what they're potentially guilty of. It's been done to death imo.

At the end of the day we can only judge the 2 players on their impact to our club, and their team mates so bringing in any comparisons is irrevalent imo.

The decision now seems final, so we just need to live with the next steps?
Agree bro. I just hate how this is all spoken about as if they did the same thing when they are two completed different incidents. I hope that the way CHN has been unfairly treated does not impact upon our ability to retain him in the squad. Maybe there was some behind the scenes support for him. I am not confident that this board would have undertaken that sort of forward planning.

Okunbor should be sacked because his behaviour has an impact on how we do work in schools. I also think if it was just the CHN incident we don't lose the sponsorship

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree bro. I just hate how this is all spoken about as if they did the same thing when they are two completed different incidents. I hope that the way CHN has been unfairly treated does not impact upon our ability to retain him in the squad. Maybe there was some behind the scenes support for him. I jam not confident that this board would have undertaken that sort of forward planning
I think from the side of supporters, very few have ever seen them as the same thing and agree it's disappointing that CHN has been treated & tarred with the same brush as Okunbor. It's not fair on him and I can imagine it'll have a deep impact on him for the rest of his life.

That being said, both were idiots for what they did and it's hard to honestly feel too sorry for them considering the impact their decisions had on our football club this year. Can only imagine how Pay feels about it all.

Should we keep them at all costs? Not for me to say. I don't believe Okunbor should have anything to do with our club, but whatever decision the club chooses I'll go with it.

A

Alexander the Great

360 stating case can be made regarding unfair dismissal.
I love when I mentioned this I was attacked from all ends and told I had no idea what I was talking about and they can appeal but good luck with them winning ect.

images.jpeg-178.jpg

Shame shame shame...

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
The NRL Appeals Committee today issued its decision in respect of appeals brought by Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs players Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera.

Mr Okunbor and Mr Harawira-Naera’s registrations as NRL Players were cancelled on 1 April following a finding of serious breaches of the league’s Code of Conduct in the lead-up to a trial match in Port Macquarie in February 2020.

Whilst confirming the seriousness of the breaches, the Appeals Committee varied the NRL’s determination to cancel each player’s registration and imposed alternate sanctions, being:

Mr Okunbor to be suspended for 14 Matches, pay a fine of $22,500 and undergo such course of counselling or community service as the NRL CEO may direct;

Mr Harawira-Naera to be suspended for 10 Matches and to pay a fine of $15,000.

“The NRL took the action which it considered necessary given the serious breaches of the Code of Conduct – breaches the Appeals Committee also found to be serious,” said NRL Acting CEO Andrew Abdo.

“The independent appeals committee has taken a different view on what penalty the players should face and although we are disappointed, we respect the outcome.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13/jayden-okunbor-and-corey-harawira-naera-statement/
2 things I need to know.
1.Were the players contracts terminated by the club,or are they still contracted players?
If they are still contracted then once the suspensions are served they will be good to go.
Media reports stated at the time that The Bulldogs "tore up" their contracts.
This needs to be clarified.
2. Will the players fit under the salary cap for this season, considering we have bought in Thompson?
We have spots left in our 30 man roster,because they were re-registered,but with the addition of Thompson will they both still fit?

If their contracts still stand,and they are able to play for us this year, it's a no-brainer.
We simply need them,and I personally,was never comfortable with the original penalties.
Yes they f***ed up,yes they were stupid and selfish and thoughtless,but it seems to me like the penalties now are much more realistic than the original ones imposed.
Hopefully the Club didn't tear up the contracts,as reported by most media outlets,and they can turn out for the team in the club's hour of need,and even repay the club for their selfishness.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see how CHN and Oka could be that pissed off with the club when it was them that cost the club 2M in sponsorship. I remember reading when they were de-registered that the club would provide support for the players. Hopefully they did that and the players have no reason to hate us. Jackson and Tolman did also speak publicly about them being good blokes etc.

If they want their back pay as an article suggests then surely they have to come back to the Dogs.

If our board however is dumb enough to reject taking them back because of pride or political correctness then they're a bigger bunch of idiots than anyone ever dreamed possible.

Hopefully the reason we never really replaced them is because the club knew this might happen and hopefully Thompson coming early wasn't funded out of the wages for CHN and Oka - we can afford all 3.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant imagine either player would want to play for us given how quickly the current administration & Dean threw them under the bus. The board need to take a long hard look at themselves because their mission statement currently reads "Inept Inert rudderless gravy-trainers"

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
When the NRL made the call did the club not notify them that their contracts with them were void and they had no legal obligation to pay them ?

If the club was really supporting them they would have hired the legal team for the appeal not leave them to do work....
Yeah, but that’s different to ‘tearing them up’. They were already stood down. When the NRL decision came back what choice was there? They couldn’t re-instate them and I’m not sure why they would go into bat for them either. This has been done to death though mate - we have different views on it and that’s cool. Interesting to see where it lands.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What horrible timing - right in the middle of school holidays.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes. A lot of factors to be considered and not as easy a step as some on here seem to believe.

If anything, the NRL has really screwed over the Dogs in this as we simply followed their lead on it from all accounts. I'm sure were under the impression that the NRL knew what they were doing?
That’s why I found it telling today the NRL deliberately stated they were ‘disappointed’ but ‘respected’ the appeal committee decision. Normally you’d just expect them to say nothing or that they ‘respect’ or ‘acknowledge’ the outcome but to specifically say they are ‘disappointed’ suggests they thought they had a case.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Do we have to pay that mate or the NRL?
Dunno mate - that’s one of the things we’re yet to confirm. It’s logical to suggest the club would ask the NRL to pay it or at least contribute given the decision to de-register them was the NRL’s.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dunno mate - that’s one of the things we’re yet to confirm. It’s logical to suggest the club would ask the NRL to pay it or at least contribute given the decision to de-register them was the NRL’s.
I think the club has been ripped off big time. We ‘sacked’ them because the NRL deregistered so it out the club in a terrible spot. The whole thing was a shit situation