Jarryd Hayne - Quits Parra for NFL trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malla

Reaction score
Wow that ESPN crew were a bunch of haters lol.

I think they are against it because if Hayne comes out successful then it opens up the door for so many other international Rugby (League and Union) athletes to make the move to the NFL which would sort of damage the hierarchical structure of football over there. High School > College > Pro's. Off topic but Dante Exum was copping so much hate this week from analysts claiming he couldn't cut it in the NBA, but I would assume it's for the same reason that he didn't play High School or College ball in the states. ESPN are very bias to the High School and College system because of their vested interest I would assume.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score

I think they are against it because if Hayne comes out successful then it opens up the door for so many other international Rugby (League and Union) athletes to make the move to the NFL which would sort of damage the hierarchical structure of football over there. High School > College > Pro's. Off topic but Dante Exum was copping so much hate this week from analysts claiming he couldn't cut it in the NBA, but I would assume it's for the same reason that he didn't play High School or College ball in the states. ESPN are very bias to the High School and College system because of their vested interest I would assume.
That's because ESPN have the rights to show College Football and Basketball.

They also have rights to show the "College games" which is their version of the Olympics

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah they hate Australians which is why they were pushing for Jesse Williams to go in round 1...

Haters? Really? You are a sensitive dude... If some soccer player announced he was coming to the NRL we would all think the same thing regardless of how good an athlete he was.

And Dante Exum got plenty of hype. Until he got picked above a fair few guys who have looked better than him in the preseason. He will continue to be bagged until he changes that.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeah they hate Australians which is why they were pushing for Jesse Williams to go in round 1...

Haters? Really? You are a sensitive dude... If some soccer player announced he was coming to the NRL we would all think the same thing regardless of how good an athlete he was.

And Dante Exum got plenty of hype. Until he got picked above a fair few guys who have looked better than him in the preseason. He will continue to be bagged until he changes that.
They love Mills as well, they couldn't stop singing his praises, especially in the Finals series.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They love Mills as well, they couldn't stop singing his praises, especially in the Finals series.
And why was that?

BECAUSE HE HAS PROVEN HE CAN PLAY.

Americans love guys that can put it out there and succeed. They don't do the whole tall poppy thing quite like we do in Australia. If Hayne proves them wrong they will love every second of it and sing his praises as well.

Malla

Reaction score

I made no mention of them hating Australians? Lol

Dante Exum is being labelled a bust and he has barely played 2 pre-season games. The one thing that every analyst talks about is how him NOT playing college ball is going to effect him and they are only saying this to protect the image and supposed quality of college ball. Some of the greatest players in the league skipped college. But it makes sense for ESPN to big it up because of the $$$$$ they make off it.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made no mention of them hating Australians? Lol

Dante Exum is being labelled a bust and he has barely played 2 pre-season games. The one thing that every analyst talks about is how him NOT playing college ball is going to effect him and they are only saying this to protect the image and supposed quality of college ball. Some of the greatest players in the league skipped college. But it makes sense for ESPN to big it up because of the $$$$$ they make off it.
Lebron skipped college and they hyped him like no one ever, same with Kobe etc. that isn't the issue.

Exum is getting criticised because he has thus far been unable to meaningfully contribute. To an absolutely horrible Utah side.

Malla

Reaction score
That's because ESPN have the rights to show College Football and Basketball.

They also have rights to show the "College games" which is their version of the Olympics
Exactly my point. Worst thing is the players get no $$ out of it, not even in endorsements. Such a flawed system in my opinion.

Malla

Reaction score
Lebron skipped college and they hyped him like no one ever, same with Kobe etc. that isn't the issue.

Exum is getting criticised because he has thus far been unable to meaningfully contribute. To an absolutely horrible Utah side.
Firstly, how is it that all you took from my previous post is that they hated on Australians?

And secondly, Exum is being touted as a bust. Listen to the latest Jalen Rose and Jacoby podcast - they spend 15 minutes talking about how he will be the next FLOP. Totally unjustified given he has played nil NBA season games.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, how is it that all you took from my previous post is that they hated on Australians?

And secondly, Exum is being touted as a bust. Listen to the latest Jalen Rose and Jacoby podcast - they spend 15 minutes talking about how he will be the next FLOP. Totally unjustified given he has played nil NBA season games.
Because you compared the Hayne and Exum situations and the only similarity they have is that they are Australian?

Bill Simmons and Jalen also said Anthony Bennett would be a flop. They are paid to have opinions on things...

He has struggled in the preseason so their concerns are justified. If he turns it around they will too.

Malla

Reaction score
Because you compared the Hayne and Exum situations and the only similarity they have is that they are Australian?

Bill Simmons and Jalen also said Anthony Bennett would be a flop. They are paid to have opinions on things...

He has struggled in the preseason so their concerns are justified. If he turns it around they will too.
The comparison is they both did not go to college in order to enter the draft.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The comparison is they both did not go to college in order to enter the draft.
Oh well that makes them practically identical then. Except the fact that Exum as an extensive background of youth basketball which he dominated at all levels. Theo only concern for Exum is that they are unsure of his position and how his game will translate to the NBA. He is a scoring point guard with a poor handle (for a point guard) and doesn't have a great jumper (for the NBA). Hayne has probably never played a meaningful snap of American football. Except for on his playstation obviously.

Exum was deemed worthy of a top 5 pick for a reason, and Hayne would not get drafted unless a team was set at EVERY position and thought there was enough interest in him that they couldn't get him as a project as an Undrafted Free Agent and chose him with a 6-7th rounder.

The situations are completely different.

Malla

Reaction score
Oh well that makes them practically identical then. Except the fact that Exum as an extensive background of youth basketball which he dominated at all levels. Theo only concern for Exum is that they are unsure of his position and how his game will translate to the NBA. He is a scoring point guard with a poor handle (for a point guard) and doesn't have a great jumper (for the NBA). Hayne has probably never played a meaningful snap of American football. Except for on his playstation obviously.

Exum was deemed worthy of a top 5 pick for a reason, and Hayne would not get drafted unless a team was set at EVERY position and thought there was enough interest in him that they couldn't get him as a project as an Undrafted Free Agent and chose him with a 6-7th rounder.

The situations are completely different.
Wow you are a troll lol.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow you are a troll lol.
Troll? PLease explain.

Or just, you know, actually respond to my points… Which you still haven't done in any of your posts yet. You have just listed people who don't agree with you and claimed a bias. Not explained the evidence you have that such a bias exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.