News Jarome Luai meets with bulldogs as tigers ante the heat

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t want him.. we actually need the $ on forwards. Pretty simple we miss out on afb and or may then our rebuild needs a few extra years if we have juniors coming through
We can afford him and a quality prop….we need a quality half until our juniors are ready

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned before but I recall a game when panthers lost and Jerome gave it to Salmon for missing his assignment on a defensive error.
He possibly is the right fit for Ciraldo's methods as it appeared the current crop seemed confused defensively and even possibly resented his style. All I can hope the club knows what they're doing with their squad balance . Luai is definitely a competitor and he might prove his worth. We need players with an ego who hate losing. Guys like Kiraz and Mahoney would benefit immensely with his competitiveness as they appeared to hurt the most after losses.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know, but there is not many quality off contract props in 2024 for the 2025 season;
- Hamlin-Uele (Sharks)
- Terrell May (Roosters)

Even though we are a minimum of 2 quality props short, there is SFA available for next year and 2025
Which is why I think Gus is talking in singular not plural when he says ‘We’d like an experienced middle forward’. He knows there’s SFA available and it’s really about bridging the gap until our young fellas come through. I also think he’s wary of AFB dollar wise - he’s already said ‘he wouldn’t come cheap’ - the exact same language he used about Payne Haas - the only difference being maybe he knew Haas would stay at the Ponies wheras AFB will be on the move.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
⚪ᴅᴏɢꜱ ɴᴏᴛ ᴊᴀʀᴏᴍᴇ ʏᴇᴛ⚪

Via SMH Sport
By Danny Weidler ✍

What do we read into the Bulldogs’ initial meeting with Jarome Luai?

That they didn’t make an offer is standard practice for Canterbury general manager Phil Gould and coach Cameron Ciraldo when it comes to dealing with their former club, Penrith. They would not want to be seen as encouraging players to leave the Panthers, even though they have two of their former stars, Matt Burton and Stephen Crichton, on their books.

Gould and Ciraldo simply wanted to gauge Luai’s thoughts. The Bulldogs will only get serious about talking dollars once Luai tells them he is definitely leaving Penrith. Until then, they will respect the Panthers.

Indications are that Luai is on the move. That has been the case since he employed a new management company, Black Money Enterprises, to explore his options.

It would be a far bigger surprise if he ignored the likes of Wests Tigers, the Bulldogs and others to stay with Penrith.

There has also been a lot made of the fact the meeting was conducted away from the prying cameras of the general public and professional photographers who take delight in capturing Gould with rival players.

Don’t forget, there was never a photo when Gould was wooing Ciraldo. In fact, at that time, Gould went to great lengths to have the meetings at a western Sydney hotel, where he even had CCTV cameras turned off.

I’ve been told the meeting with Luai was held in a similar location with the same level of effort put in to keep prying eyes away. The Bulldogs believe the story was leaked by a rival club, which found out about the discussions through Luai’s management.
"I've been told". Gus told you lol.

Cheng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Which is why I think Gus is talking in singular not plural when he says ‘We’d like an experienced middle forward’. He knows there’s SFA available and it’s really about bridging the gap until our young fellas come through. I also think he’s wary of AFB dollar wise - he’s already said ‘he wouldn’t come cheap’ - the exact same language he used about Payne Haas - the only difference being maybe he knew Haas would stay at the Ponies wheras AFB will be on the move.
I think Gus is on the fence with forking out $1m+ for a prop....

I am of the opinion that no prop is worth $1m over the course of 4-10 year contract....$1m a year for 3 seasons is a calculated gamble, anything over in terms of years is scary shit

I guess we will soon find out

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Gus is on the fence with forking out $1m+ for a prop....

I am of the opinion that no prop is worth $1m over the course of 4-10 year contract....$1m a year for 3 seasons is a calculated gamble, anything over in terms of years is scary shit

I guess we will soon find out
knowing what's available i think gus will take the gamble and go all out for Afb

chihuahua dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
⚪ᴅᴏɢꜱ ɴᴏᴛ ᴊᴀʀᴏᴍᴇ ʏᴇᴛ⚪

Via SMH Sport
By Danny Weidler ✍

That they didn’t make an offer is standard practice for Canterbury general manager Phil Gould and coach Cameron Ciraldo when it comes to dealing with their former club, Penrith. They would not want to be seen as encouraging players to leave the Panthers, even though they have two of their former stars, Matt Burton and Stephen Crichton, on their books.

Gould and Ciraldo simply wanted to gauge Luai’s thoughts. The Bulldogs will only get serious about talking dollars once Luai tells them he is definitely leaving Penrith. Until then, they will respect the Panthers.

Indications are that Luai is on the move. That has been the case since he employed a new management company, Black Money Enterprises, to explore his options.

It would be a far bigger surprise if he ignored the likes of Wests Tigers, the Bulldogs and others to stay with Penrith.

There has also been a lot made of the fact the meeting was conducted away from the prying cameras of the general public and professional photographers who take delight in capturing Gould with rival players.

Don’t forget, there was never a photo when Gould was wooing Ciraldo. In fact, at that time, Gould went to great lengths to have the meetings at a western Sydney hotel, where he even had CCTV cameras turned off.

I’ve been told the meeting with Luai was held in a similar location with the same level of effort put in to keep prying eyes away. The Bulldogs believe the story was leaked by a rival club, which found out about the discussions through Luai’s management.
Thanks for not creating a new thread!

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
⚪ᴅᴏɢꜱ ɴᴏᴛ ᴊᴀʀᴏᴍᴇ ʏᴇᴛ⚪

Via SMH Sport
By Danny Weidler ✍

Should have created a new thread.

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don"t want him, he is not a 7. Dogs already have Burton, Taffe, Hutcho, KO to play at 6.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Don"t want him, he is not a 7. Dogs already have Burton, Taffe, Hutcho, KO to play at 6.
Smells of just trying to sign Penrith players because we can
Luai is an illogical purchase
Buying him means we have not learnt

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Smells of just trying to sign Penrith players because we can
Luai is an illogical purchase
Buying him means we have not learnt
Luai's the best half on the market and he's actually gettable unlike Dearden or Mam. We need a quality experienced half. It's an obvious choice.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Luai's the best half on the market and he's actually gettable unlike Dearden or Mam. We need a quality experienced half. It's an obvious choice.
He is a running half that doesn’t organise. Penrith were lost with him taking control
Remember this is alll in the context of him wanting a million plus

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He is a running half that doesn’t organise. Penrith were lost with him taking control
Remember this is alll in the context of him wanting a million plus
Luai played with 1 shoulder in the GF and Cleary was the one not taking control until momentum swung after Critta intercept and middles going ham. I assume that's what you mean in regards to Panther being lost. Also for Panther he's 6/9 at halfback with 1 being a draw. He was also effective for Samoa at 7 in the world cup. There are no genuine 7's on the market. Hynes isn't a genuine 7 but he's effective for Shark.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Luai played with 1 shoulder in the GF and Cleary was the one not taking control until momentum swung after Critta intercept and middles going ham. I assume that's what you mean in regards to Panther being lost. Also for Panther he's 6/9 at halfback with 1 being a draw. He was also effective for Samoa at 7 in the world cup. There are no genuine 7's on the market. Hynes isn't a genuine 7 but he's effective for Shark.
Is the 6/9 at halfback meaning he won 6 and lost 9?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is the 6/9 at halfback meaning he won 6 and lost 9?
won 6 out of 9 games. 1 draw, 2 losses. Those are the games Cleary was injured.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why can't we just invest in Magic Burton and Toby Sexton and show them some confidence saying these are our halves until someone within our pathways takes their spot. @Nasheed @Flanagun

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With luai making his decision this week does anyone reckon bulldogs a chance to nab him or he will go to tigers