James Roberts & Tony Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an opinion of mone I guess. Is James Roberts not the new Tony Williams? Both were signed as additions to strong teams who had just lost a grand final the year before but not had much of an impact. I know there is still time for Roberts to come good but I haven't seen a game where he looked as dangerous as when he was at the Titans.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just an opinion of mone I guess. Is James Roberts not the new Tony Williams? Both were signed as additions to strong teams who had just lost a grand final the year before but not had much of an impact. I know there is still time for Roberts to come good but I haven't seen a game where he looked as dangerous as when he was at the Titans.
Roberts doesn't get nearly as much ball as he should. And when he does he is quickly covered by multiple defenders. I think he'd kill it at fullback

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roberts doesn't get nearly as much ball as he should. And when he does he is quickly covered by multiple defenders. I think he'd kill it at fullback
I'm surprised he didn't get a regular shot at fullback at the Titans. He doesn't exactly go looking for it either the way Hodges used to.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he played Fullback in lower grades. Actually he made his Nrl debut against us playing Fullback im pretty sure.

He would play like Bmoz did last year except younger and not as injury prone.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the Titans Roberts was a big fish in a pond full of small fish. He was never going to stand out as much at the Broncos who have plenty of other talent in the backs. Williams should have retained his big fish status here. If he still dominated like he did at Manly he'd have been a fan favourite. Instead he decided to coast along. I'd say the only time he looked like the star we signed was in his few games as a 5/8.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Roberts has been starved of ball. If he gets good ball, he still tears teams up, however (and I'm not sure exactly why), he has lost a LOT of speed.

At the Titans his acceleration and speed over 100m was ridiculous. These days he's still fast, but quite a few players are running him down..

I'm wondering if perhaps his knees are starting to go.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you get starved of the ball, go looking for it. He is lazy. Honestly go watch the Bulldogs Broncs game and watch when Rona gets an intercept, Roberts doesnt even try to chase, the fastest man we have seen in league for some time cant even be arsed to chase.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Roberts has been starved of ball. If he gets good ball, he still tears teams up, however (and I'm not sure exactly why), he has lost a LOT of speed.

At the Titans his acceleration and speed over 100m was ridiculous. These days he's still fast, but quite a few players are running him down..

Ankle injury. Happened last season.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ben barba was said to have lost speed because of ankle issues and the training regime at red hill. Apparently he drank a lot of protein and did shit loads of weight lifting

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ben barba was said to have lost speed because of ankle issues and the training regime at red hill. Apparently he drank a lot of protein and did shit loads of weight lifting
I think its both the injuries and added muscle, when he makes a line break and in open space he tends to lean on his left leg so i guess thats where the injuries have taken there toll but he does look heavier when he runs similar to lafai 2015+ but not to lafais extent, and as said its not the first bronco to have similar issues.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For some reason Anthony Griffin made Barba put on a heap of weight & that's the reason he was slow at the Broncos.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Roberts reported contract is 250K while TRex is 600K+ ... will gladly swap

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Roberts will come good. He should be playing left side, also he should be roaming and sniffing around Gillett every chance he gets.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Roberts reported contract is 250K while TRex is 600K+ ... will gladly swap
$250k on the books. Add in the $500k worth of cash in the paper bags at the back of the carpark, the "employment" his cousins have at the club I.e washing windows for $200k a year and also the vouchers from all the sponsors.

I hear fataday also is on around $200k a year officially....

Status
Not open for further replies.