News James Graham 'I have paid the price ... my brain is damaged'

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe they need to make headgear compulsory?

We dont have to go quite as far as NFL with armour, but headgear wouldn't hurt. And maybe only needed for forwards?
in the NFL they use their helmets as a weapon. Normal head gear doesn't do anything for head knocks/concussions.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
obviously we don't want players going brain dead when they're older but there also needs to be a balance because already too many players are being ruled out game to game, even for an extended period. Teddy going down with a head knock against the Rabbits basically ended them right there for e.g. it does ruin the spectacle. Tricky one.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
More research and more rule changes to protect the brain and neck BUT it is my understanding that alcohol - whether it be binge drinking or regular heavy drinking sessions which has been part of the RL culture for decades - does significant damage to the brain as well.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

We dont have to go quite as far as NFL with armour, but headgear wouldn't hurt. And maybe only needed for forwards?
I've long thought this too. With current plans to ban tackling in lower grades, the game will surely die, or become so shit to watch. I suggest they make head gear compulsory for junior league, and then by the time hat generation of players reach NRLol level, they won't know any different. No player would complain about having to wear it as they have been wearing it their whole playing life.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jammer was an absolute warrior. No amount of money can compensate for the damages caused to his brain.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While there is sports like boxing and MMA around where they get hit in the head without head safety, rugby league will never change its way. The hits are what makes the game great entertainment for the fans you’ll never see a full stadium at a Oztag or touch football game

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's a misconception about headgear, no headgear can prevent concussions. There is debate whether they do more harm than good.
Thats right, headgear does not prevent concussion or brain bruising, it may minimise it but doesn’t prevent it. And brain injury is not confined to just hard hitting impact sports only.
Soccer players in the past constantly heading the ball have ended up with chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
The old leather soccer balls when they got wet basically doubled in weight. Players constantly heading the ball at training we’re actually damaging their brain.
This problem with the heavy ball has slightly been alleviated through technology with the use of synthetic balls which are lighter .
Not sure what the solution is for Rugby league .

Last edited:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Definately changed he’s tune. A lot of grahams head knocks were because of tackling technique, and he’s running style. Would also dip near the line, and lowers body height. Not sure why he used to do that.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
What now gonna sue the game?

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
James Graham has confirmed he will be working with the Bulldogs on his podcast and had departed the Dragons. Fantastic news.
Which podcast because I’m yet to hear any of this and I listen to his poddys.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Jammer called for annual MRI's for ex players, but what about current players? He also says eliminate the risk of Head contact during training, totally sensible. I recall him saying once, maybe to Matty Johns, that most of his concussions occurred during training drills.
The more we know and research finds out, the more dangerous the game will look. So too rugby, NFL ( and remember it was covered up for decades in NFL), to a lesser extend AFL, though still a risk, so too soccer, NHL, and most obviously boxing and various MMA pursuits.
Eventually, all these contact sports may be banned.
Then also the more we find out, the more likely a lawsuit.
Soon, players at all levels, if not already, will be forced to sign liability waivers, indemnifying other players, and the game from liability for damage from concussions. When this happens, and the risks are pointed out, will Mums still let their kids play?
Jammer will be on a mission now, like an ex smoker extolling the damage smoking does. A big change next season could be the length of time a player spends out of the game after a concussion. Protocols will be tightened. I ask, wasn't Thommo this season on the sidelines for an extended period due to headaches following a concussion?
Certainly a massive problem for the game.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Won't help.
The head gear they wear in rugby just helps prevent splitting your head open
Does nothing to stop concussion

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score