News James Graham 'I have paid the price ... my brain is damaged'

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
James Graham
6 min read. Oct 07, 2022 10:00 pm. The Australian

It’s the scan that confirmed what James Graham already suspected - footy damaged his brain and now he is urging the NRL to make drastic changes. Listen to the Head Noise podcast.

I thought I may have paid a price for the way I played rugby league and in my neurologist’s rooms that was proven to be true.

It has been confirmed via an MRI scan that part of my 36-year-old brain is damaged, that is ‘down on volume’ at the front and side part of my brain.

While the neuropsychological tests I passed quite well an MRI showed the possible wear and tear of 17 years of rugby league, over 400 games and around 100 concussions.

As my neurologist Dr Rowena Mobbs explained, my frontal lobe (the front) and the parietal (the side part behind the frontal lobe) on the right side of my brain were all down on volume for a man my age. “Mildly so” Dr Mobbs tells me, but enough to say it‘s “significant”.

There was also an irregularity in the middle area of my brain - what is called the white matter - white spots are showing up particularly on the left side. The white matter part of the brain is for transmission, it’s like a freeway. These ‘white spots’, or lesions, indicate tiny areas of signal change - migraines can cause these but so can “head trauma”.

As I sit in Dr Mobbs’ office I ask if I was still playing (I only retired at the end of 2020 and for the record I have no ambition to return) what would she advise? Without a pause Dr Mobbs says; “to stop playing”.

This is not the first MRI I have had, but it is the first to show I have damage. The first time I was moved to get an MRI was after a knock out I suffered during the NRL finals series in 2018. It was the only concussion that has ever really concerned me.

After that concussion I couldn’t drive, I didn’t feel like myself, I suffered debilitating headaches, was extremely sensitive to noise and I was so concerned about the state of my brain that I went and had that MRI scan.

That 2018 MRI showed my brain was fine and full. There was no bleeding on the brain. There were no physical irregularities and I felt nothing to worry about.

But the 2022 MRI scan makes me concerned. Even though Dr Mobbs is saying my brain was down on volume in parts, she is not diagnosing probable CTE nor are there any signs of early on-set dementia.

But for someone my age, my brain should not be losing volume like this.

I knew it anyway, but I need to take care of my brain health.

Now, I am not looking for anyone’s sympathy, I have repeatedly said maybe the meaning of life is finding something worth dying for and rugby league was this for me.

I have to take responsibility for the way I lived and played.

As I sat in the rooms, as Dr Mobbs relayed the state of my brain to me, my internal dialogue was not to be reckless in my actions after receiving this news. I know the type of personality I am but have made a rule to myself not to self-destruct.

Before this brain scan, I was already aware I had to be careful with my alcohol intake. I have been conscious of it since lockdown in 2021. I have used medicinal cannabis to help calm my anxiety. I have taken medication for depression.

But while I am a deep thinker when it comes to matters in life - I really don’t take myself too seriously.

I don‘t want to make light of a potentially serious situation for me and for 100,000s of people out there but…I do think I can use this to my advantage so if I forget something…I can say; ‘well, I’ve got a small brain so you can’t blame me…’

It’s like that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David thinks he finds out he‘s adopted and he keeps telling everyone; ‘I’m adopted, I’m adopted’.

In that Larry David way I joke about they I will now just walk out of this hospital in Western Sydney and be like; ‘Oh I’ve got a small brain! You can‘t blame me for not remembering the milk on the shopping list, your names or whatever it may be.’

On a serious note again, deep down part of me was prepared for something like this to be relayed to me.

Like I said I am pretty determined to not let this put me on a path to self destruction, instead, I am going to focus on making a difference in this space and I made this podcast investigation with The Australian with the aim of finding solutions.

Here’s what I think needs to change to make the game better for all.

• An annual brain body and mind checkup for ex-players;

• We need to strictly limit contact in practice, similar to the NFL;

• I’d like a concussion to be treated like any other injury for example a hamstring tear, where it is accepted a player would not return to the game until fully recovered;

• I know as a player I felt the pressure to return as quickly as possible to my team.

Perhaps we need to take that off the current crop of players. I think the game’s powerbrokers can do more and take the onus off the footballers.

I also think the game’s hierarchies need to engage with companies who can provide cutting edge technology to gauge concussions. This would take the subjectivity away and provide clear cut concussion diagnosis of athletes.

I can’t change the past but I can make things better for the future.

In episode five of Head Noise I spoke about my grandfather on my mum’s side, the one who refused to have an ambulance called as he was suffering a heart attack. He sadly passed away.

Then there was my other grandfather; Dan. He served in World War Two, he lived a very honest and incredibly hard working life. He didn’t say much, nor show too much emotion, but when he did have something to say it carried an enormous weight. My grandfather and grandmother had one child, my father John. They had a very humble life. They lived in a very humble housing commission home but my grandfather looked after it proudly. He was so proud of the garden.

Some of my fondest memories are spending my summers in Maryport and playing on the green, never in my grandad‘s garden. He would blow up deluxe if I touched the garden.

He adored my grandmother. Absolutely adored her. He had a different philosophy to my other grandfather, who didn’t want to accept help.

My grandfather Dan, he didn’t want to leave my grandmother by herself and his goal was to outlive her.

Which he successfully did.

He taught me to have something to aim for. To have something to live for. A reason. A why.

I want to be more like my grandfather Dan.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on Graham for speaking up.Hopefully this will shut up the dinosaurs like Gould, Carroll and Blocker Roach who keep continually disregarding the fact more needs to be done to crack down on head contact and protect players.
I played league thru the 80’s, loved the physicality and was knocked out a number of times.
Concussion can no longer simply be dismissed as a byproduct of contact sport and “part of the game”. It has claimed it’s fair share of warriors in recent times Turvey, Folkes, Price, Fenech.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
League will always survive the likes of JWH, Hetherington and Radley thou they may be set for extended stints on the sideline.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long until league is dead?
I've wondered this too, same with rugby and even AFL potentially. There's no iron clad way of eliminating concussions in a heavy contact sport unfortunately. As more and more players are diagnosed more parents won't let there kids play.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck 100 concussions that's absolutely insane.
That's huge isn't it. Remember that 1st grand final tackle in 2014 when he broke Burgess's cheekbone. He led with the side of his head and took the full brunt of the hit.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's hope that pain in the arse Fitzsimmons shuts his mouth for once and doesn't try to lay the boot in again because of Graham's old comments about concussion.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A yearly brain scan for players is a great idea. It is worrying to think where the game could end up once we take all of these cognitive issues seriously. The players know the risks much like combat fighters however if it is mandated that they must sit out it makes it a lucky dip with the salary cap as it is almost chance that your best player could be forced to sit out extended periods if they tighten the concussion rules. Probably the biggest issue facing rugby league at the moment. One thing I will say as jimmy is he has always said since his playing days he knows the risks and he wanted to play through, you can’t doubt his passion and toughness to push through, I just hope it doesn’t hamper him later on in life. Great to see someone like him having in-depth discussions to change the landscape

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's alarming my son will be 3 next season and I couldn't care if he doesnt want to play.
If I had sons I don't know if I would have let them play even though I love watching the game. As it is with daughters, I got them into soccer instead and don't encourage my eldest, who is now interested in watching rugby league, by promoting the NRLW.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Maybe they need to make headgear compulsory?

We dont have to go quite as far as NFL with armour, but headgear wouldn't hurt. And maybe only needed for forwards?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Game will survive. There will always be people who will put their body on the line to play. IMO, the players should be paid more for putting their health at risk for our entertainment.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Game will survive. There will always be people who will put their body on the line to play. IMO, the players should be paid more for putting their health at risk for our entertainment.
It's a tough one. They already get an almost 50% split of the revenue, whilst the afl players are closer to around 25%. Need more investment in the grass roots and research around this to enable them to do what you say which is still have a production line of people willing to play. Mums play a massive part too. I wouldn't be able to convince my wife to let my boy play I reckon.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a tricky one, but it's also a risk that players take to play the game. More awareness needs to be made regarding that.

Brain scans yearly could be an idea, and given they are MRI (not CT's) the risk of radiating the body is not there. Problem would be the cost to scan every NRL player over a year.

Headgear seems to not make a huge difference either, because its the rattling of the brain in the skull causing the damage. Maybe more R&D is required that way.