James Graham gone - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm pretty gutted that Graham is leaving. He's been a big part of the culture since he arrived. I still remember the Bupa video where Tolman introduced himself as James Graham in an english accent, got pushed out of the way by the real Graham who said "no you're not, I am" etc. Showed that he's obviously a character. I do miss the aggression he used to show, but with the bullshit that the referees get away with now it's somewhat understandable that as captain he had to tone down his anger to be able to deal with the bunch of over-rated corrupt morons that should only be sounding a whistle when they fart. The NRL hierarchy have made it abundantly clear that the refs are a protected species and that players aren't allowed to show passion when dealing with them. I don't watch the NRL because I'm a fan of some pansy in a pink shirt who blows the whistle and screws teams over with absolutely rubbish decisions. I and every other fan respect and admire the players. But i digress.

From the clubs point of view it's very disappointing the way they've kept things so quiet in every regard, not to mention that they created this situation where they've had to hand off some of my favorite players. I know they probably didn't want to seem desperate to offload players thus giving the potential recruiters a massive boost in negotiating power, but the fans and the players deserved more knowledge of what was going on. If this is the kind of stuff that's been going on behind the scenes all year (players negotiating for new deals elsewhere whether they wanted it or not) I can understand our lack of form and the fact that a lot of the passion seemed to be gone. Kasiano had something on his mind early in the season which wound up being that he was having to negotiate his move away from a club that he seemed pretty happy with. It's no way to run the club. I think Woods will be good here but we've lost two better than average props in Kasiano and Graham to bring him here. Once upon a time we bought bargain basement props and turned them into representative players or bought them through our junior ranks with incredible regularity.

In terms of recruiting Foran. He may do great here, but he is a gamble and while he does have more playmaking ability on a good day than I'm convinced Mbye has anytime, he's got injury issues that may prove to be more persistent than his price tag may justify (obviously i don't know what we're paying him more than anyone else here does).

I wonder now if Castle left because she was disappointed with the way things are being run or because she was made a scapegoat and pushed. I had thought before now that the club had probably made some smart moves in letting go of Williams and a swag of other players that weren't all that brilliant but were probably on moderate money. I approve of the fact that we seem to have shaken up the junior coaching ranks and recruitment staff, because the club has obviously lost the successful formula of producing great talent, buying in the odd established player or finding potential in players that haven't achieved much in their old set-ups but who could be great (look at the likes of recruiting O'Meley, Ryan, Tonga, Vagana and guys like Rauhihi etc in a short period of time when we had to rebuild). The Bulldogs club of old would be pretty disgusted with the fact that we have lost that recipe of intelligent management that saw us become one of the powerhouses for 20 of the earliest years that I supported this club for. I've tried to defend the club for shaking things up regarding junior development, but the fact that they've kept us in the dark has got me fired up about this right now. I couldn't give a shit if the current managment were all hauled away and shot right now if we could bring a Savvy bunch into the roles they vacated.

I try not to be reactionary like this, but the club has denied a few times that Graham was even a possibility of leaving. I feel that Graham and the fans deserved the chance to get accustomed to the fact that his last games for us were in progress over the last few rounds. I'm surprised that with Williams and around four other established players leaving that we've been in a position where we went on a buying spree that's forced yet another captain out of the club.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im sad to See Graham go, but only due to sentiment. He did a lot of great things for us over the years, but giving him the captaincy was the worst thing ever for him and the Dogs. Was at this point his career and form went downhill.

Reading his body language this year, you could honestly tell he wasnt enjoying himself at the club, and especially when Reynolds was moved on, they interviewed Graham and you could see the dissapointment and disgust they were letting Reynolds go.

Also he became so ingrained in Desball so much that he looked lost out on the field when we had games where we moved away from that gameplan. Always rushing to first reviever instead of runninh onto the ball which is what he is payed to do.

I do wish him the best in his future, hope he never makes the semis again as i hate Dragons even more than i hate Des... But its time for a new Era.

2018 to me is an interim year. Most of our shit players are off contract end ot next year. So timw to rebuild and focus on the future

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shows how big a joke the people making these deals are. We shouldn't be pushing our club captains out the door just because our front office fucked up. How the fuck we are above or near the salary cap with this roster is a fucking joke and until we get rid of these idiots making the deals this club is going no where

Reactions: DT

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pretty sure we're picking up a chunk of that contract
You are correct. It's still a crap des for us, but Didn't Paul Kent say we were only 500k over the cap for next year? So hopefully dragons are paying him at least 500k which will get us under..

Reactions: DT

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
if you think Graham is light weight, i wonder what you think of Tolman and Eastwood whom we just re-signed.
I'm with you...Eastwood is the worst of the lot and garbage now, but he's locked in and walk from 800k(hurts saying it) , but we only need one of either Tolman or Graham. Tolman is younger and better value at 400k, and under a normal coach who won't 'make him the 4th tackle option.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Three years.. I'm not convinced Graham has 3 years in him... even moreso now that his necks got issues.
I doubt he has one... Only a few months ago people were calling for his retirement due to the fact he gets knocked out every game.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Graham (our captain) -GONE
Ennis (previous captain) - GONE
Finucane - GONE
Reynolds - GONE (while giving M'Bye huge cash)
Rona - GONE
Cook - GONE
Tapau - GONE
Munster and Latrell Mitchell - NO THANKS

TREX earned 2 contracts
Eastwood Tolman Holland all still here

What in the FUCK is wrong with our club. Fuck Hasler, I want him gone but that prick DIB is responsible for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
A very well balanced recruitment and retention. The thing that hits me more than anything is two current captains who who wouldn't take a backward step on the field, but are leaving the club while they are still captains.

IMO that's a real big indication that the football club is being badly run in recruitment, selection and our style of play. If our captains want to walk out on the show how would the rest of the team feel?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Graham (our captain) -GONE
Ennis (previous captain) - GONE
Finucane - GONE
Reynolds - GONE (while giving M'Bye huge cash)
Rona - GONE
Cook - GONE
Tapau - GONE
Munster and Latrell Mitchell - NO THANKS

TREX earned 2 contracts
Eastwood Tolman Holland all still here

What in the FUCK is wrong with our club. Fuck Hasler, I want him gone but that prick DIB is responsible for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
You know what though I'm sort of happy Reynolds, Graham and Ennis have now left this club.. Their embarrassing on field antics made us look ridiculous at times and I guarantee everyone only accepted it because the were wearing blue and white. Reynolds tripping people over stuttering along, Graham losing his mind, screaming at everything including his own teammates like they were children and Ennis turning us into the most hated ensuring teams and refs got up against us.

People say we lost our culture and one thing I know that's not the culture I grew up to understand... We are hard footballers that play football and win against all odds. NOT bitch around and play games on field. Because of that I cant wait to see Foran and Woods lead us around with Tolman, Jacko, Klem and Hop followed by the Morris twins.

The only people I'm sad we lost was Finucane and Tapau... They are Bulldogs. Eastwood and Williams should have been let go for them.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can I just say... What a man.

In his last ever chance to lead the boys out, he sacrificed it full well knowing he was leaving.

Give me the option of Graham over Tolman and i'd go Graham any day. It's a bittersweet moment to see him go. I wish him all the very best. He gave us his all (as well as some of Billy Slaters ear).

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can only relate Graham to the old dogs of war culture...

I just think he was the last string of DNA of the old dogs of war mentality.

Jackson or Klemmer dont come close tbh....

I'm disappointed.... our squad just resembles Hasler.... sterile with no passion
Agree, Graham's heart, commitment and competitiveness was absolutely a carbon copy of our historic DNA. He will be sorely missed and we can only wish him the very best and thank him for his loyalty and services to this club. Best of luck Jammer!!

To be honest, I do think Jackson and Klemmer have that DOW Bulldog DNA in them. Jackson is a bit of a silent assassin, he's an absolute workhorse and gives 100% effort every hitup and every tackle.

Klemmer has that natural aggression and mentality that would have fit in perfectly in that Willie Mason, Mark Omeley modern era. His post contact meters are best in class. His only flaw is that he appears to "fire up" in a select amount of games. When you consider an average game for Klemmer is still a very good one, that tells you how much potential he still has and this is despite him being an elite Prop in the game. If he can harness, more consistently, that fire/energy like he did in that first encounter with the Broncos this season where he took them for something like 300m, he could become the worlds best prop forward.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Although he is a shadow of his former self. I am going to hate seeing Graham in another Jersey.... i really am. I would have rathered lose Tolman and Fatwood....

Our club is a disgrace
There is a reason Eastwood and Tolman are still with us.

No other head coach is stupid enough to sign either of these powder puffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.