News Jake Averillo Ready To Fight For Fullback Spot As Bulldogs Start Negotiations With Local Junior

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want the kid to do well, he has a skill set (needs some work to make him sharper), has pace and is a Bulldogs junior ALREADY with us. My concern is his heart and bravery under pressure of a big hit or if a big tackle is required, or even defusing a kick. I hope he get get there ala Dylan Edwards, but I’m not overly confident….

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Leagues club is one the most profitable in the country, making millions in profits, but can only find a few grand to hand around to local juniors.
League club put in $400,000 last season to run the junior league. They put in every year. This was a bonus direct to the clubs.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Leagues club is one the most profitable in the country, making millions in profits, but can only find a few grand to hand around to local juniors.
I dare say they put more than that into junior clubs (at least I assume they do). I was more pointing to the fact that some funding was being provided in this way, as recognition of a local junior making it to NRL level, and that their number of years at the junior club was part of that recognition.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
think him or hayze Perham will play there . Limited centres so might be going with Hayze as fb and Averillo in the centres

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I want the kid to do well, he has a skill set (needs some work to make him sharper), has pace and is a Bulldogs junior ALREADY with us. My concern is his heart and bravery under pressure of a big hit or if a big tackle is required, or even defusing a kick. I hope he get get there ala Dylan Edwards, but I’m not overly confident….
Yeah I feel the same. Would love for him to go to that next level but...
Anywhos he has the off season to prove his worth, hopefully the coaching staff can unlock his potential.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
think him or hayze Perham will play there . Limited centres so might be going with Hayze as fb and Averillo in the centres
If Perham plays fullback, Avo will be in reggies

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Avarillo needs to model his game like a Billy Slater, high involvement , super fit , can appear any where on the field from linking at 5/8 to trailing the big boppers. He has the same physical. He not Edwards or Michell & should try to be one.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He needs to model his game on dylan edwards,his base is fitness everything else flows ,competing on every play ,mental toughness etc ,lets see after finallly getting rid of that dud ferris how he goes
His natural game couldn’t be further from this.
doesn’t have the heart or mental toughness to do this

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've got no natural first receiver so hopefully Avo can get in there at times for a change up and a bit of speed. If Ciraldo keeps our offloading game going, Avo also needs to be hovering around the ruck more. It's part of Edwards's game that's really improved in the last couple of seasons.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We've got no natural first receiver so hopefully Avo can get in there at times for a change up and a bit of speed. If Ciraldo keeps our offloading game going, Avo also needs to be hovering around the ruck more. It's part of Edwards's game that's really improved in the last couple of seasons.
I think he was lacking "fullback fitness" last year. We have 3 of the top 20 offloaders from last year, If he hunts around he will get plenty of opportunities

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he was lacking "fullback fitness" last year. We have 3 of the top 20 offloaders from last year, If he hunts around he will get plenty of opportunities
He looked mentally gone to me too. Lack of confidence or self belief or something like that. Some others that came through the juniors with him are the same. Hopefully the new professional feel around the club will rub off and with Mahoney and Ciraldo's influence he can surprise a few of us.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Fuck Averillo. I want Joash Papalii at 1. Special kid. Superstar last name and you don't get fullbacks like that every year. He's the only fullback at the club that isn't scared of contact, puts his body on the line every run and also has a very dangerous step. He's currently on a train and trial deal.

I’m sorry but wtf superstar surname? How old are you? Some of our greatest players have names like fucking Darren smith… deadset donkey.