Jackson

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A lot have been calling for him to call time or be moved on. Is it me or does he seem refreshed now that he's not expected to be a ball player? I think he's been going well with the simple role he has now. Seems Potter has seen what we all have been frustrated with. King, TPJ middle with offloads. Jackson just tackle and run. RFM and Waddell, run edge lines. The attack looks much more free flowing.
Commentators were saying well before Barrett walked that he can’t try to get us playing like Penrith because we don’t have played like yeo,cleary,etc.he had to find the bulldogs DNA and play to our strengths.This was Barrett’s down fall.
Come in mick potter and he has unleashed our attack with some simple positional changes.fuck even our defence is better.
And above all the players look like there enjoying there footy..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Problem with Jackson is his wage, he's being paid that of a key player when really he's a worker that should be plugging holes around the forward pack. I don't know why we signed Sutton when Jackson is already here.

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jacko will always be one of my favourite Bulldog players, no matter what he has been with us with the good and bad times and has turnt up every week and given it everything he's got never once checked out hes as loyal as they come. Fuck I love seeing him win a few footy games.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. That's Jackson. "Eyes up football" has never been his forte. In fact he's terrible at it. Probably one of the lowest natural skill players in the NRL. He goes a long way to making up for it in effort areas though. He's a very simple player who can play a simple role. He will carry the ball up all day but don't expect him to dent the line or hit a hole. If he's on an edge don't even bother getting him 1 on 1 with an opposition half. Luke Brooks would probably monster him. I just expect a bit more though from a forward in the modern game than what Jackson offers. Morrin highlighted this in 2 minutes of first grade.
Mate, cant disagree with anything you have said.

In saying that i bet his teammates and coaches appreciate him more than The Kennel does.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His teammates, coaches and his opponents respect him for what he brings to his team - sure he is getting on a bit, however the negative comments on here are a long long way off.

People have short memories or maybe they are just really young and started following the game in the last 3 years.

Between 2014-2017 he was recognised as one of the best backrowers in the game playing for Australia and NSW including winning the medal for being the best NSW player in the series in 2016 and winning a man of the match award in one of the 2017 origins.

From 2018 he has carried the team on his back many times and has had to play with some of the worst forwards to ever pull on Bulldogs jersey.

It's no coincidence that with some decent go forward we are seeing his form improve - he is one of the smallest forwards in the game and one of the toughest. He is most commonly referred to as a warrior and plenty of guys I know that support other teams have said to me over the years they wish he played for their club.

I do agree that he doesn't need to be an 80 minute player any more - Jacko at full tilt for 60 mins is still a force - I hope he is used this way moving forward and he gets to opportunity to share in the success of the team by playing semi finals in 2023.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
* Can't run good lines
* Slow / poor pass selection
* Struggles to make over 100m per game despite always playing 80
* Isn't vocal enough to be captain
* Only surviving off his defensive effort

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Problem with Jackson is his wage, he's being paid that of a key player when really he's a worker that should be plugging holes around the forward pack. I don't know why we signed Sutton when Jackson is already here.
Seriously that's not right and you know it.

Jackson's often reported $600k is only $400k due to the long terms/developed played "discount", in fact's it's not even $400k as that includes non cap items eg; car. Plus we would have to pay someone else additional in the Cap for taking over the Captaincy, often $50k to $100k. In real Cap terms he costs us ~$350k, which by any measure is a farkin bargain.

More to the point, who the fark is going to step up and make Jackson’s 47 tackles per game whilst missing less than 2. Maybe the attack will be better, maybe not, but fark me the defence is sure going to suffer big time.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Jackson's often reported $600k is only $400k due to the long terms/developed played "discount", in fact's it's not even $400k as that includes non cap items eg; car. Plus we would have to pay someone else additional in the Cap for taking over the Captaincy, often $50k to $100k. In real Cap terms he costs us ~$350k, which by any measure is a farkin bargain.

More to the point, who the fark is going to step up and make Jackson’s 47 tackles per game whilst missing less than 2. Maybe the attack will be better, maybe not, but fark me the defence is sure going to suffer big time.

Always a Bulldog
spot on TT, some of the people on here that want jackson gone are like parents from an under 6 team that pay their kids when they score a try and think thats what all the game is about.
Jackson does all the shit stuff and 1% plays, and he was very good again yesterday. His game has been simplified which has worked.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
As much as I agree with you and many of the posts before I still think Jackson is done. There will always be someone who will step up. We thought we would miss Tolman and all his efforts (including our 4th tackles [emoji23]) but we have moved on. Not sure who takes his spot but I think it’s time to move on

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny. I've supported Jackson through all the hate but this game had me losing my shit. Three fckng times in the 1st half, its three on three on the left with the defence back pedalling. All he has to do is run a straight line, jink to the outside and draw in the two of the defenders and pending where the pass goes, its either 2 on 1 or someone is open. All 3 fckng times he just passed it to whomever was outside and it went nowhere.

Ok - we cakewalked it in the end but 66/33 possession in the 1st half and up by 6 - we should have been up by 20.

This is basic fckng footy fellas.
100% agree. He can’t pass if his life depends on it…

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Na it is right.

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As a group they have all improved, in so many ways.
trent will hopefully admit that one day so the players can sit there and tell the truth in these press conferences

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need old heads and a workhorse in the team, he just needed to run hard and tackle hard which is what we’ve been saying for the last couple of years but T-Baz tried to run him like Isaah Yeo.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Tbh I think he’s role is about the same he’s probably just making a few less critical errors because there is a bit of energy about the place now and a more shared work load and variety to our attack. TPJ has been massive since he came back as has King and Vaughny has been solid through the middle. Burton is also touching the ball more and Jacko is not overplaying his hand as much. I’m not putting the guy down he’s a tremendous servant and I’d like to see him experience some more of the good times before his career is out but if we are serious about becoming a finals threat in the coming years his days as captain are numbered.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds corny as fuck but a lot of Jackson’s value is intangible now with his leadership and image as ‘stalwart’ of the club. We could really use it as another source of motivation going forward - it will be hard to be this up for so long (I’m talking next 18 months).

In saying that we will really need to massage his minutes/role to minimise his one dimensional play. Need to find a good balance but imo still very valuable and not easy to replace especially when we are a very young squad.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot have been calling for him to call time or be moved on. Is it me or does he seem refreshed now that he's not expected to be a ball player? I think he's been going well with the simple role he has now. Seems Potter has seen what we all have been frustrated with. King, TPJ middle with offloads. Jackson just tackle and run. RFM and Waddell, run edge lines. The attack looks much more free flowing.
He seems to be hitting the line a bit harder since Barrett left. I still think we need him in defence to do a lot of tackles and a lot of clean up work

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He played abit of lock against the tigers. He just needed the pressure off him. Now that the whole team is putting in the work he looks better

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Given that defense is 50 % of the game i am staggered at the lack of importance it is given by many.

Throw JMK into the conversation as well.