Jackson!!!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
JJ gives his all every week, he’s been a great servant. I think he’s still add value but using him on edge plays is ineffective. He hasn’t broken the line for a long time

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So is J.J. now the world record holder for the most tackles in one game with 78 tackles ,with 100%. Previous record holder with 77 was elijah taylor.
He's past it, not effective at all in atack,he doesn't even get over the advantage line in attack and in defence lately he misses one on one tackles that even let in easy tries, being the captain doesnt help him aswell,its not only napa etc playing shit ,most of our pack are sub standard im afraid

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Massive defensive effort from our captain. It pisses me off a bit that a number of our players past and present don't get any admiration for massive efforts in defense, but a player that might come on and make one line break and not do much else will often have people hailing them as the messiah. Different strokes for different folks I guess. But it's a pity that more of our supporters can't just hold off the criticism for not having been huge in attack in a thread acknowledging his great defensive work rate.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has to conserve his energy early in the game otherwise he no energy left for covering for the others who go missing in defence. In yesterday's game we defended for almost 50% more tackles, 50% more sets, than they did, that leaves 50% less energy in the tank for attack.

FWIW worth the effective tackles were equal, 90.6% versus 90.7%. An indicator that it's not a tackle effectiveness, its simply that we had to make 50% more.

Go Dogs
Also relates to our lack of penalties and 6 agains as to how much harder we're having to work.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Massive defensive effort from our captain. It pisses me off a bit that a number of our players past and present don't get any admiration for massive efforts in defense, but a player that might come on and make one line break and not do much else will often have people hailing them as the messiah. Different strokes for different folks I guess. But it's a pity that more of our supporters can't just hold off the criticism for not having been huge in attack in a thread acknowledging his great defensive work rate.
I see this now even from juniors. The kid who flukes a line break or a dodgy offload actually gets caught the coaches blow their load over them and become their pets.

The kids that don't stop tackling and tackling effectively and who shut down plays and generally read the game well don't get the praise they deserve.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not to rain on the parade but to me if you're making 65 tackles as a middle forward it's probably an indicator that the opposition don't mind running at you, I mean put it this way I don't think guys like Taumalolo, Radley, Tino and Nelson would ever have to make 65 tackles, it's Tolman all over again

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Big effort. Jackson has always been a hardworking defensive player. Unfortunately, he has minimal offensive impact these days. My only problem with Jackson is how much we are paying him and for how long.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d rather him make around 30 tackles, few line breaks, offloads, run over 120m and score a try or 2 like every other back rower in the comp. he offers nothing in attack at all

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not to rain on the parade but to me if you're making 65 tackles as a middle forward it's probably an indicator that the opposition don't mind running at you, I mean put it this way I don't think guys like Taumalolo, Radley, Tino and Nelson would ever have to make 65 tackles, it's Tolman all over again
Panthers had an extra 20 sets so our numbers were inflated. RFM 29 tackles in 40m on the edge, Renouf 31 tackles in 34m, Elliott 50 tackles on the edge, JMK 41 tackles in 47 minutes...some ridiculous numbers there.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’d rather him make around 30 tackles, few line breaks, offloads, run over 120m and score a try or 2 like every other back rower in the comp. he offers nothing in attack at all
It looks like Baz would be better off simplifying the game plan even more For the other forwards OR really, really getting into our forwards...eg every set you have a run off the back fence and make at least 10m. Every set on D you make 2 effective tackles. Any of you pigs dont do that..its a 10km road run! Share the work load.

Teams been guilty of it since 2013 when the Bupa twins did most of the work.

It looks like the calm approach is not working with these guys.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Panthers had an extra 20 sets so our numbers were inflated. RFM 29 tackles in 40m on the edge, Renouf 31 tackles in 34m, Elliott 50 tackles on the edge, JMK 41 tackles in 47 minutes...some ridiculous numbers there.
Yes when you factor that aspect. Wow.

20 extra sets equates to (approx) 80? extra carries and/or tackles, collisions...if they kick on the last or thereabouts.

Its a huge disadvantage against us.

Crucial that the possession issue is fixed by Baz.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whole forward pack needs to be revamped - yes that includes JJ. Every player declines at some stage of their career. It's not an attack on Jackson, but his best days are behind him. At his size, you just don't have longevity in the game when you play second row. We need to bite the bullet and tap him on the shoulder.

I look at blokes like Tino from the GC, Tupouniua at Easts and Yeo at the Panthers. These are the types of players that the doggies desperately need right now. We must be looking to recruit similar style of players

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The whole forward pack doesn't and isn't going to be revamped. We're just missing one metre eater prop and even tho I'm not the biggest fan of Thompson (so far) we're locked in with him for years to come and honestly it's the same with the rest of our forward pack (who I'm happy with at this stage) and I maybe see us strengthening an edge position with a young promising player, e.g. Piakura, but that's about it. Thompson, Elliott and Jackson will all start. Our bench will be decent with what's left over but it isn't going to be filled with starters (e.g. Hetherington and Atoni).

From where I'm sitting all of our eggs are in the Brandon Smith basket and if we miss out on him the only other option I see is Turpin. If we aren't able to sign a good hooker not a lot is going to change. Rudolf is the only prop worth signing off contract that suits what we need (I'd be investigating the Leota situation as 3 doesn't go into 2). Then you look at a Piakura and Naden to fill out the roster (Staggs too expensive imo). If we're able to do all that we'll go close to making the eight at worst.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Channel nine stats also had elliott with 58. Must have roosters accountant doing them .
That's interesting both Panthers & Dogs are credited with about 50 extra tackles that nrl.com say. Doing stats is a hard thing, especially live stats, which is why I never use the stats issued on game day, I always wait a couple of days until they issue their "final" count.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe he needs to cut down on the tackles and let the others do some hard yakka... the guy is tackling himself out of the game in attack. He has no energy or power to break the line like he used to and the lines he runs these days do fuck all to help him.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Jacko is no Lock , he ain't a middle forward

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Jacko is no Lock , he ain't a middle forward
He's in between a prop and second rower. He players like a prop in a second rowers body (I don't think it's a good thing). I think we're going to have issues if he's in the second row or at lock but I'd always have him in the team. Great defensively in the middle.