News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's Funny how shit like this doesn't happen at Melbourne or Brisbane
To be fair it doesn't even happen at Wests.. this has to be the first case for a situation where there was no damage done bar a hit to a fragile ego.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's Funny how shit like this doesn't happen at Melbourne or Brisbane
I've always said we need Murdoch to buy a few shares in the Bulldogs lol....it really helps lol

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My Under 12s soccer coach made me run 2 laps around the oval after training in absolutely pissing down rain because I was late one day. Wasn't even my fucking fault! The old man stopped for petrol on the way and bumped into an old mate. Maybe I should have sued him for deprivation of me liberties.
What a harrowing story. You should speak to Topine's lawyers, I'm sure they'll represent you. They'll probably have to turn "pissing down rain" into "water boarding" , make 2 laps sound like a marathon and exaggerate a few more fabrications of course . . . Then all you'll have to do is pick a number that makes you happy

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one put a gun to his head. It's a team sport and the trainers are tasked with trying to harden up soft cocks like Topine to build character.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta say it’s unpleasant. And I’m not really sure how I would react myself… but to sue the club is pretty bad. Surely this could have been settled behind closed doors?

I also cannot see how this would be different in a “boot camp” setting for defense forces
Go and check the stories of what the current squad endured last preseason. They literally deprive them of sleep as part of this sort of training, however I don’t know that our boys did that specific thing.

To me it sounds like he was shocked by the punishment for being late, but instead of just leaving (you telling me they wouldn’t have allowed that?) he cops the punishment, but then breaks down afterwards and can’t face the team/club. He was found out and now the **** is looking to do the weak gutted thing of trying to cash in over it. He knows his footy career is over and $4m is what he would have (maybe) made in the best case scenario for his whole career.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deprivation of liberty, assault, battery. Criminal charges. If these things happened at the time, why didn't he or one of those other disgruntled players call the police straight away? The thing is the club will now be forced to settle out of court to limit the brand damage yet again. It will cost them millions and Topine will never have to bother playing again.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You just know this is going to blow up for us. fuck this fuckin guy, just when things were starting to turn around. Hopefully he gets laughed out of court and goes and finds a pay day in the super league, or just fucks right off and gets a real job. Would love to see him whingeing on a job site to see the reaction he would get.
Soo pissed about this, Manly literally killed a bloke at training and i guarantee we will cop worse than they did in the media.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
- The big question that will be tested is how would Topine play 80min of NRL if he believes 30min wrestling is ‘unlawful’ or ‘harsh’? If this is about testing employment contracts well he was employed to play a contact sport. It’s not outside the bounds of the work.
This is it. Or the club uses the boot camp training as evidence of the sort of toughness they require. It’s obviously not military, but it would be the same as a private suing the army for training or punishment being too tough. I’m sure that’s happened in the past.

Being told to wrestle many guys doesn’t seem to me to be corporal punishment or humiliation. That would be the sort of things they do to inmates or suspects in “renditions“ or like what happened at Abu Graib. Waterboarding, forcing to be naked and stuff like that. Forced to wrestle, where the only coercive aspect is you will probably not be picked and re-signed if you disobey, it far from those things.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jackson is getting horrid advice on this one. He and his legal team are obviously seeing the dollar signs and want to play this out in the press to pressure the club into a higher payout.

But this is not the legacy you want to have as a professional footballer. Expect to hear from all sorts of mental health experts and anonymous players that talk about how they feel sorry for him but when the dust settles on this, his mental health will take an even bigger hit because he’ll forever be seen as a money grabbing whinger. One that milked something that could’ve absolutely been dealt with inhouse for personal gain. $4 million is an absolute joke and he and his legal team should be embarrassed with that and some of the quotes in this article.
We don’t know the specifics, but were told he was being supported by the club after going on mental health leave. It will be interesting what specifically the club did to support his mental health, because if it comes out that they did what would be appropriate and expected, then I imagine his case will be harder to win.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Topine was never going to be a regular starting nrl player,he was never big enough
I guess he is trying to get out of the bulldogs whatever he can

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My biggest hope for this year is that we pump the dragqueens , Nu Brown and RFM they are the ringleaders behind this shit. Grubs.
We'll find out soon enough when it goes to court. I can't imagine anyone from the club currently,doing anything but defend what's happened

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is not just a Bulldogs problem it's an NRL problem, because the rare chance he wins, it could be the first of other similar types of lawsuits.. heck why not sue the clubs for taking players to army camps and claiming you were humiliated by the trainers there.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Topine was never going to be a regular starting nrl player,he was never big enough
I guess he is trying to get out of the bulldogs whatever he can
Trying to get what he can out of the club and the game while he can.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol I remember a few crying on here week in and week out that Ciraldo wasn’t picking this flop in first grade :tongueclosed:
Goes to show how important what we don’t see is. Unless you attend training sessions that is. It was always my suspicion that he wasn’t up to the high standards Ciro implemented. He clearly didn’t do enough on the training pitch to get much of a go and just look at how much improved our defence is without players like him and Okunbor etc.

Most players would cop it on the ch8n and think, well I suppose I’m not mentally strong enough for this career and walk away, but he’s trying to cash in. Similar story with Schister currently, but his is more of a ‘club wants you to leave, but I have a contract’ deal.