Jackson: Our defensive mongrel is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have their mongrel back in defence but Canterbury skipper Josh Jackson warned his side they need to keep building their combinations to restore their image as the toughest tackling team in the NRL.

Jackson said nobody was more relieved after their breakthrough 20-18 win over the Penrith Panthers on Friday night than Dean Pay, who enjoyed his first win as coach in the Telstra Premiership after taking over from Des Hasler in the off-season.

After breaking their duck for the season, Jackson said the Dogs were solely focused on their round four Good Friday clash with the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Our defensive effort particularly in the second half, it wasn't pretty but the boys kept turning up for each other and it's something we can really build on throughout the year,'' Jackson said.

''Tough wins like that you learn a lot on how to win tight games. It's only a starting point. Every week that we play together we build those combinations better.''

Pay's decision to switch Moses Mbye to fullback has proved a masterstroke in the opening three rounds with the 24-year-old leading the competition in line breaks (five) and kick return metres (206).

After struggling to find consistency in the halves, the positional switch for Mbye has given the Bulldogs another option in attack - an area the side lacked under Hasler in 2017.

I thought he [Mbye] was fantastic for us, for a guy that is playing in a new position he slotted in really well,'' Jackson said.

''We're happy with what he's doing out the back. He's a good runner and is getting a lot of space with kick returns. He's getting us on the front foots and helping our middle guys out a lot.

''I thought our back five were exceptional on Friday night. They were probably the difference with the work they did.''

Both the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs will meet for the ninth time on Good Friday since 2007 with the Belmore outfit winning five from eight clashes in the annual hit-out.

The Rabbitohs are in a similar position after securing their first victory of the season under rookie coach Anthony Seibold and are bolstered by strike across the park.

''Everyone loves being a part of it,'' Jackson said.

''Souths are coming off a win as well and have got good go-forward in their team. I missed the [Manly-Rabbitohs] game but they've got a dominant forward pack that gets them moving. We'll do our best with [Sam Burgess] and all the Burgess boys.

''Then they've got strike power out wide. It's always a good game, always feeling in it.''

From nrl.com.
I think the title is misleading and i am sure jackson knows they still have a lot of work to do with their defence.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah typical media.

My thought is we were fortunate penrith didnt take more advantage of any defensive issue we had. They gave away too many penalties to have enough possession to do more damage + no cleary in 2nd half.

Our players put in a lot of effort + showed a lot of desperation tho.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah typical media.

My thought is we were fortunate penrith didnt take more advantage of any defensive issue we had. They gave away too many penalties to have enough possession to do more damage + no cleary in 2nd half.

Our players put in a lot of effort + showed a lot of desperation tho.
Yh i didn't really see any major improvement in the side last week. We have plenty of things we need to work on.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
As Jackson said, the turning up for one another was there and it is something to build on. We won and won ugly but there was effort and pride.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think that they've quoted Jackson directly about defensive mongrel. The title seems to be at odds with the quotes in the article. "Our defensive effort, particularly in the second half wasn't pretty" doesn't sound like he's singing praises that there is any kind of dominance or mongrel in that aspect of the game. But I'm happy with the picture his direct quotes paint. Sounds like they're under no illusions that they've got to keep improving. I'm confident that we'll see the side develop as the season progresses. Hopefully we see it quickly enough to push for a spot well entrenched in the top eight.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You think so? Their tries were really good tries on the back of some great footy. I reckon they would have scored those tries against any team.
I guess they made them look easy

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our right side needs some titanium... I say swap hoppa for jmoz.

No one cares that he is a left centre, the dude just a defensive centre now days. Hoppa and Brett seems a cooler combo.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
If the right side defence is anything to go by I very much doubt that the mongrel is back.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not defensive per se, but just saw the highlights Cowboys v Panthers where Taumololo ironed out Yeo. How haven’t we brought O’Meley to teach our Klem and our boys how to cart the ball forward??

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The media has a short memory, unlike fans of the Bulldogs. We collectively recall the standards of defence that made this club a feared juggernaut.

Relentless barrage of heavy hitting with forwards hunting in packs with individual personal battles making statements. We are light years away from this sort of controlled aggression, but last week was a step in the right direction, a little more passion was observed.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Not defensive per se, but just saw the highlights Cowboys v Panthers where Taumololo ironed out Yeo. How haven’t we brought O’Meley to teach our Klem and our boys how to cart the ball forward??
100% this. Im afraid we'll never see that dogs of war mentality ever again that the likes of shrek were known for.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% this. Im afraid we'll never see that dogs of war mentality ever again that the likes of shrek were known for.
Sad to say, but it's hard to replace in a hurry. That pack all played like every opposition had stolen their kids lunch money. Shoulder charges were still legal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.